Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
935 replies to this topic

#161 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

So much for that Dish Directv merger.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

AT&T Ups Offer For DirecTV to $50 Billion (Report)

http://www.hollywood...ps-offer-703413

Mike White may go!

Executives at DirecTV and AT&T are figuring on a 12-month regulatory process before such a merger earns governmental approval, and DirecTV chief executive officer Mike White could exit the company after the merger, or perhaps even prior to its completion.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 12 May 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#163 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

What if ATT gets rid of the DTV name and the DTV boxes they would have the UVerse logo on them? Then it would then be UVerse satellite?

#164 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

What if ATT gets rid of the DTV name and the DTV boxes they would have the UVerse logo on them? Then it would then be UVerse satellite?

I doubt they are getting rid of anything.

Yes maybe some of the Newer stuff, may have the att name on them, but that's nothing new for Directv since even at the Start of Directv, Huges, Tivo, Samsung, Phillips,RCA and Sony , had their names on most of Directvs equipment.

#165 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

If this does happen, I'm hoping it wouldn't affect PQ too much. U-Verse seems noticably more bitstarved than DirecTV.

#166 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

If this does happen, I'm hoping it wouldn't affect PQ too much.

And in what wild thought did this cross your mind?

#167 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

Well I rather it be ATT than DISH i have dealt with there customer service before terrible.

But I hope ATT does not change DTV's Customer service Model, I don't like speaking to tech support from India

nothing against the people , They are just so robotic when  they speak drives me crazy especially when they repeat every thing back i say to them and then apologize.

#168 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

A WSJ story today says that the current thought is that the company would be run "as a unit of AT&T" meaning not necessarily integrating it with the rest of AT&T. I would suspect that this would ultimately spell the end of U-Verse's video product.

Yes, if AT&T renames it to U-Verse then it would be called U-Verse.  :scratchin

If this does happen, I'm hoping it wouldn't affect PQ too much. U-Verse seems noticably more bitstarved than DirecTV.

What does U-Verse's current product lineup have to do with DirecTV if AT&T acquires it? U-Verse has crummy picture quality because they have severely restricted bandwidth. The bandwidth available to the satellite product wouldn't change just because AT&T owns it.

#169 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

Why would AT&T do that to Directv? A given provider is bit-starved if they lack sufficient bandwidth to carry their channel load. Unless U-Verse added a bunch of HD channels, there is no point to turning down HD quality on Directv. It would be like putting all your stuff in three rooms of your house and leaving three other rooms completely empty. You could do it, but why would you?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#170 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

I will be so out of here as soon as my commitment is complete, especially since Google Fiber may well be coming here.  

AT & T will perhaps learn that putting out junky products in the name of shareholder revenue can come back and bite you in the rear end at some point in time.

#171 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

I will be so out of here as soon as my commitment is complete, especially since Google Fiber may well be coming here.  

AT & T will perhaps learn that putting out junky products in the name of shareholder revenue can come back and bite you in the rear end at some point in time.

Why wouldn't you wait to see if they actually put out a junky product?

#172 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yes. I can see being leery but it all depends on what they deliver and how. They may run it independently. They may not. Better to wait and see.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#173 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Because of AT&T's track record. Those of us who have dealt with AT&T over the past 30 years know it's only a question of WHEN they lie to a customer or screw things up.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
  • john18 likes this
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#174 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Everyone seems to be so worried about what negative things may happen to Directv if AT&T buys them out. Does no one see a chance of positive outcomes? Nobody thinks there's a chance of the things were Directv falls short improving if AT&T owned them? You'd think Directv was the greatest and most well-run company in the world that could only be hurt and never be improved upon with all the doom and gloomers here talking about how bad this acquisition would be.

Directv isn't exactly well diversified, to put it mildly, and if things started turning sour for the satellite TV business in general Directv customers would be a lot better protected being part of a more diversified company like AT&T rather than having all their eggs in the satellite basket which could quickly become a downward spiral if the cord cutting movement goes from a trickle to a flood and cable/satellite starts bleeding customers. AT&T has their wireless and U-verse internet to fall back on if that happens, Directv and Dish have....nothing.

There has been some discussion about Dish eventually doing something useful with all the cellular bandwidth they own, but they'll have to invest billions putting up towers. With AT&T, Directv would immediately have access to that, without needing to put up a single tower. I don't really know what they could do with it, but presumably Charlie Ergen does since he's spent billions on. If/when someone figures that out, Directv goes from a much worse position than Dish to do it to a much better position than Dish overnight.

#175 OFFLINE   Road Rage

Road Rage

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

I will cancel DTV the moment this goes official, been a sub since 1996. I absolutely hate AT&T, it's one company I wish Al Qaeda would invade. Anyone who has ever been a customer of theirs know how much of a nightmare they are.

• SteveHas likes this
H20 >HDMI>Sony KDL-26S2010
HR20 >HDMI>Sharp Aquos LC-37D90U

#176 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

Because of AT&T's track record. Those of us who have dealt with AT&T over the past 30 years know it's only a question of WHEN they lie to a customer or screw things up.

I've been an AT&T wireless customer since 2000, and haven't ever really had anything to complain about with them. I would have switched long ago if I did.

And like I said before, it isn't as though Directv has particularly good customer service or never screw things up. I can count on one hand the number of large companies I feel have top notch customer service, and neither AT&T nor Directv make that list.

• damondlt likes this

#177 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

I will cancel DTV the moment this goes official, been a sub since 1996. I absolutely hate AT&T, it's one company  Anyone who has ever been a customer of theirs know how much of a nightmare they are.

Leaving out the "al queada" part, my feelings exactly 

• SteveHas likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#178 OFFLINE   hrobbs

hrobbs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

After 17 years with DTV, my Google Fiber install begins next month - $120/month for 1GB internet (rate guaranteed for 7 years) and a direct home connection at 1080P. Your move DTV, rather ATT. Will miss some sports, but very lucky to have Google Fiber in short sight.

• john18 and bill875 like this

#179 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Directv isn't exactly well diversified, to put it mildly, and if things started turning sour for the satellite TV business in general Directv customers would be a lot better protected being part of a more diversified company like AT&T rather than having all their eggs in the satellite basket which could quickly become a downward spiral if the cord cutting movement goes from a trickle to a flood and cable/satellite starts bleeding customers. AT&T has their wireless and U-verse internet to fall back on if that happens, Directv and Dish have....nothing.

DirecTV would still not be diversified ... they would be OWNED. And if things go south for satellite the owners will dump DirecTV and move on. DirecTV is an investment ... which is a good thing - a company worth buying - but they have been bought and sold before by companies who owned DirecTV as an investment.

There has been some discussion about Dish eventually doing something useful with all the cellular bandwidth they own, but they'll have to invest billions putting up towers. With AT&T, Directv would immediately have access to that, without needing to put up a single tower. I don't really know what they could do with it, but presumably Charlie Ergen does since he's spent billions on. If/when someone figures that out, Directv goes from a much worse position than Dish to do it to a much better position than Dish overnight.

If DISH does it through their partners it will be a DISH offering. If AT&T does it through their network it will be an AT&T offering. Somehow it is easy to overlook the news even though it is clear in the thread title. AT&T is looking to buy DirecTV - not DirecTV buying AT&T, not merge, but be owned.

It will be a year before the purchase is complete (pending approval by the government) ... and then we will see if AT&T keeps the brand or rebrands as AT&T Satellite TV. The ego says there will be a rename. Personally I hope the DirecTV name will stay (it will make the satellite service easier to sell in a few years).

The deal seems to be good for AT&T - otherwise they would not be pursuing it. It seems to be good for DirecTV stockholders who will make money off of the sale to AT&T. Good for the customers is harder to promise.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#180 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Would AT&T port Mediaroom software to all the DirecTV set tops / DVR's?  I mean having one platform to support is easier than multiple.  What about channels, would that mean a lot of new HD channels on DirecTV because there are more HD channels on U-Verse that already have contractual agreements?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...