Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A Couple Questions About Changing Locals

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BooneDocks

BooneDocks

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

We live in a motor home and change our service address and local channel feed when we change our job sites -- about 4 times per year.  We presently are in the process of moving from Phoenix to Reno.  We are currently in route and are on the very fringe of the Phoenix spot beam.  We can no longer receive the HD spot beam and the SD spot beam from the 101 is variable.  We receive signal at night with signal strength in the range of 50 to 75, but don't receive any signal during the daytime even if there are are no clouds or winds.  Why would the signal be stronger at night than during the daytime?

In anticipation of arriving at our address in Reno, we called in and changed our service address to the one we will be at in Reno.  In our current location we had signal strengths of 78 on the 99s and 79 on the 119 for Reno local channels during the daytime, adequate for the new locals.  But the feed did not change.  We called in again, and they had us reset the boxes and they still didn't change from Phoenix to Reno.  We then were transferred to a tech and he couldn't get the change to occur.  He was about to bounce us to another tech when our phone wound up dropping the call.  Before we call in again, can anyone weigh in on why the local channel feed would not change?  We never had this happen in our 10 changes to our service address over the past 3 years.  The local channel before always changed almost immediately even when we were changing them in advance of arriving at our new physical address.  The first person I talked to was having trouble understanding the word 4th Street so I spelled it Fourth Street.  Could that have triggered a conflict with there database of approved Post Office addresses?  Just what does their system validate/do to make a change to the local channel feed?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

It may be that your dish isn't sufficiently well aimed to receive the authorization signal.  Less than 80 is not very good (though it should be sufficient).

You should work towards signals near 100 at 101W as I think that's where the authorization signal comes from.  If the receiver can't see the signal clearly, it won't execute the change.

Make sure you've used the best aiming parameters you can get (typically dishpointer.com) to preset the elevation and tilt and always make sure the mast is plumb.

Don't bother having a "hit" sent if you aren't getting good signal at the time.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   BooneDocks

BooneDocks

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Thanks harsh, The Reno SD locals are on the 119 rather than the 101.  Do you think the authorization signal would still come on the 101 (where I do have high 90s on most transponders) or would it be on the 119 transponder (29) that has the Reno SD local channel.  I was thinking that maybe I should wait to call in again until I have a bit stronger signal strength.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,651 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

all authorization signals come from the 101

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   BooneDocks

BooneDocks

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

thanks peds48 -- do you know which transponder on the 101 the authorization comes from?

Edited by BooneDocks, 01 May 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

NO, but is a moot point, since if you have signal (good) on one TPD, you should have good signal on all (except SB of course)

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   BooneDocks

BooneDocks

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

So, I  had excellent signal from the 101 (95-100) when I called in.  Wonder why the change didn't happen.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

All I can think of is that they change was not made correctly on DirecTV system 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   BooneDocks

BooneDocks

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

As I had strong signal on the 101, I called in again and had them re-update my service address and local channel feed.  It changed almost instantaneously this time as it always had before.

Anyone with thoughts one why signal would be stronger at night that during the daytime?

Edited by BooneDocks, 01 May 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,590 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Anyone with thoughts one why signal would be stronger at night that during the daytime?

Your dish mounting might be moving slightly due to temperature expansion/contraction.  That would affect your signal readings. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

As I had strong signal on the 101, I called in again and had them re-update my service address and local channel feed.  It changed almost instantaneously this time as it always had before.

Congratulations!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Exactly as I thought.  first CSRs were not doing it correctly.  Glad you finally had someone who was able to figure it out.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...