Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

States cracking down on Left Lane Slowpokes

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

YES!

http://www.foxbusine...ntcmp=obnetwork

Can't come soon enough.  My biggest gripe is those from OH, IN, MI or basically any flatter state coming here and being afraid to drive on I-77 from Charleston WV to the WV/VA border, or a road formerly known as the WV Turnpike.  It is curvy and hilly and has lots of trucks.  But these flatlanders get on there and back up traffic because they are afraid to pass a semi on a curvy stretch.  Well, most of it is curvy stretches.  All I can say is I am thankful for my EZ-Pass which lets me bypass them at the toll plazas.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

Darn flatlanders!

BTW, where is "here"?  Your profile doesn't reveal your exact whereabouts. ;)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

I have to wonder how much this will really change things.

Sure I've spent my time behind a Cadillac poking along it the left lane.

I tend to drive faster than what's in the right lane, and don't really want to play tag with 18 wheelers.

So where's the line between passing everyone in the right lane, while going 10-15 over the posted limit and yet have "some clown" riding your back bumper?

George Carlin may have put it best with "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

• Rich and MysteryMan like this
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   brian26339

brian26339

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

I moved to northeast ohio about 15 years ago. It doesn't matter if it's curved or not, hilly or flat, apparently some folks here never got the word that the left lane is for passing and slower traffic should keep right.

It really is very simple. If you are not passing someone, you should not be in the left lane. When the pass is complete, move back to the right.

Works great and you don't hold anyone up. Plus you don't have to worry about the impatient guy who goes screaming right across 3 lianes of traffic to pass everyone on the right because of the slow poke in the left lane.

Just my two cents....

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

each time I'm passing them on right lane, I see old ppl driving the car ... well, that's the life ... accept it

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,328 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

each time I'm passing them on right lane, I see old ppl driving the car ... well, that's the life ... accept it

And when you are calling someone old ... :D
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Easy there, young whippersnapper! If it weren't for old people, you wouldn't be here.

Say thanks and kwitcherbitchen about slow-driving seniors. :alterhase

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

Actually... there are lots of areas where I see signs that say "thru traffic stay left" which means that unless you are getting off one of the next few exits you are expected to drive in the left lane.

Also... when there is a posted speed limit... I don't see how anyone can possibly ticket you for driving that limit in the left lane.  For a cop to ticket someone not exceeding the speed limit OR for exceeding the speed limit seems insane.

I get ticketing someone in the left lane who is not driving the speed limit.  My thoughts have always been that slower moving traffic should keep right... but if you are driving the speed limit I don't see how you can legally be ticketed for not getting out of the way of someone who wants to speed.

Imagine... being arrested for not stepping out of the way of a murder who wants to kill someone... or not opening the door for a robber...  that's kind of what sounds like is happening here for some states where they will be ticketing people for not moving out of the way of a speeder.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,369 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

My understanding of CA traffic laws, admittedly scant, is that you need to stay in the flow of traffic, and you can be ticketed for driving the speed limit in some cases. Many of our roadways are five or six in each direction. 

I hate those who dive into the right lane at 80+mph rather than give one a chance to move over, or heaven forbid, wait thirty seconds....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

My favorite are the idiots who drive slower than the posted speed limit on state roads and drastically slow down for every curve in the road.

• Rich likes this

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Darn flatlanders!

BTW, where is "here"?  Your profile doesn't reveal your exact whereabouts. ;)

The part about the WV Turnpike from Charleston, WV to the WV/VA border should give you a hint. ;)

Also... when there is a posted speed limit... I don't see how anyone can possibly ticket you for driving that limit in the left lane.  For a cop to ticket someone not exceeding the speed limit OR for exceeding the speed limit seems insane.

I get ticketing someone in the left lane who is not driving the speed limit.  My thoughts have always been that slower moving traffic should keep right... but if you are driving the speed limit I don't see how you can legally be ticketed for not getting out of the way of someone who wants to speed.

Because technically the law is drive the speed limit AND stay in the right lane.  If you are driving the speed limit, but parked in the left lane, then you are violating one half of the law.

The big issue in this country is that speed limits are arbitrarily set, although some western state are getting away from that.  Most traffic engineers will tell you that the speed limit should be set at a certain percentile of the maximum speed drivers would drive if there were no posted limits.  For example, if on a straight long section of highway, and 80% of the drivers were going 85 or slower and 20% faster, then the limits should be at 85.  This keeps traffic flowing. 

But instead we set limits based on "feelings and emotions".

My Setup

#12 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,475 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Actually... there are lots of areas where I see signs that say "thru traffic stay left" which means that unless you are getting off one of the next few exits you are expected to drive in the left lane.

Imagine... being arrested for not stepping out of the way of a murder who wants to kill someone... or not opening the door for a robber...  that's kind of what sounds like is happening here for some states where they will be ticketing people for not moving out of the way of a speeder.

I think NJ has a law about driving in the left lane when not passing.  Rarely enforced, because the two right lanes are full of trucks and texting/calling drivers.  It's finally getting to the point where the texters are using the right lanes instead of backing traffic up in the left lane, where I normally drive in my overpowered Caddie.  Yes, we do have a law against texting or talking when driving, but the cops have apparently given up on enforcing that too.  

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

California's speed limit on freeways is 65 or 70 miles per hour. Truck speed limit is 55. Theoretically this should make it easy to pass trucks. I try to drive at the speed limit and on a three-lane freeway I prefer the middle lane.

In general neither the cars or the trucks stick to the speed limit.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

the speed limit is set for all category of drivers, regardless of experience,age, following common sense, etc; to be sure every minor issue covered

if you are responsible driver and know how your the car currently behave, current road condition and the road is empty, you could go 130 mph by obey all safety precaution, like in Germany,

but I've seen many times when the slowpoke going to cross all four lanes at front of you to take YOUR first lane just after join to I-280 on speed 40-50 mph :( and do not accelerating, disregarding that fact are other cars sometimes drive at 80 mph there

#15 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

My favorite are the idiots who drive slower than the posted speed limit on state roads and drastically slow down for every curve in the road.

Shame on them for doing what they think is safe and preventing you from getting home to DBSTalk as quickly as possible.  :P 

I have no issue with states wanting to stop people from driving 20 in 70 zone in the far left but my complaint comes in with states saying someone who is doing the speed limit is blocking the lane just because some moron wants to go faster than the posted speed limit. 

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

California's speed limit on freeways is 65 or 70 miles per hour. Truck speed limit is 55. Theoretically this should make it easy to pass trucks. I try to drive at the speed limit and on a three-lane freeway I prefer the middle lane.

In general neither the cars or the trucks stick to the speed limit.

Ohio used to have split limits, they got rid of that in 2009 citing studies that everyone travelling at the same limit (theoretically) is safer.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I have no issue with states wanting to stop people from driving 20 in 70 zone in the far left but my complaint comes in with states saying someone who is doing the speed limit is blocking the lane just because some moron wants to go faster than the posted speed limit.

That's exactly where I'm coming from.  People who drive slower than the posted limit in the left lane are a problem.  I get that.

But it seem to me to be dicey to expect people to move out of the way so that someone else can speed.  So... if I'm in the left lane doing 75 in a 75mph highway, and someone comes up fast behind me wanting to do 85+ and I don't get out of their way, I'm the one who gets a ticket?  That makes no sense.

In fact, it's the only segment of the law that I can think of where you would be ticketed for obeying the law instead of the person who is attempting to break it.

I guess next time I see someone robbing a bank or store, I should make sure I hold the door open for the robber and help him carry his stash to his getaway vehicle... I mean, 'cause I wouldn't want to get in his way and impede his ability to break the law, right? :confused:

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

But is it your job to enforce the law?

Most of the states I've driven though have signs that state 'slower traffic keep right'. Not sure if there is a law behind those signs, but last year. FL passed a law that if you're driving more than 10 mph below the posted speed in the left lane (of a multi-lane road), you can be ticketed. It didn't address the issue of going 75 in a 75 when the rest of the cars seem to be doing 85.

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'll take the contrarian point of view:

The speed LIMIT is the highest speed you should be going and you should feel comfortable driving just below the speed limit on any lane on a road. If you are going 63mph in a 65 in the left lane, you should be neither harassed nor punished.

If the intention is that people drive 85mph in the left lane, the law should be changed to make that legal. As it stands, if I want to be in the left lane in my Prius, which hardly ever exceeds the legal limit, I have the absolute right to do so. In practice I don't because of the legions of lawbreakers who threaten my safety, but the law is on my side and not on theirs.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

I'll take the contrarian point of view:

The speed LIMIT is the highest speed you should be going and you should feel comfortable driving just below the speed limit on any lane on a road. If you are going 63mph in a 65 in the left lane, you should be neither harassed nor punished.

If the intention is that people drive 85mph in the left lane, the law should be changed to make that legal. As it stands, if I want to be in the left lane in my Prius, which hardly ever exceeds the legal limit, I have the absolute right to do so. In practice I don't because of the legions of lawbreakers who threaten my safety, but the law is on my side and not on theirs.

It really is a dicey situation. I think it certainly varies in different parts of the country too.

When I lived in Massachusetts, I had a 60 mile commute each way on the Mass Turnpike. At least a few times a week, I would get a state trooper come flying up behind me while I was passing in the left lane. I would usually be going around 70 or so in a 65 zone. No lights or siren. When I pulled over to the right, he would give me a dirty look because I didn't get out of his way fast enough. He would continue to do this to each "slowpoke" in front of him in the left lane. And, no, it was not the same trooper each time.

My point is, that in certain parts of the country, even law "enforcement" will not tolerate anyone going less than 10 mph OVER the speed limit because they want to keep traffic moving.

I think anyone who has lived in the Northeast and commuted on major highways for any length of time knows what I'm talking about.

Edited by swyman18, 02 May 2014 - 05:25 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...