Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AM-21n question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

I want to test my understanding of how an AM-21n works.

I'm in zip 75605.  The AM-21n loads up the channels I want, mostly; but it does not load channel 21-3 from Shreveport, LA.  That channel ("Movies!") shows old movies.  So, I added as a secondary zip 65802 which has a channel 21-3 listed (but not showing the Movies! channel).

Now, the only channel from zip 65802 that is available to me is 21-3 plus of course I've got the channels from zip 75605, my primary zip. 

From all of this I conclude that in order for a channel to even be listed in a pick list in a DTv receiver it has to 1) be listed in a zipcode that is entered into the AM-21 and 2) must also have some level of signal strength.  Is this conclusion accurate?

To record the Movies! channel I can make manual recordings - I can't use the guide data to do so as it is incorrect, not showing Movies! listings. There are twelve markets in the transponder database that  have an OTA channel that is listed that is showing Movies!.  Is there any way to encourage DTv to list all of those channels in the database?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

From all of this I conclude that in order for a channel to even be listed in a pick list in a DTv receiver it has to 1) be listed in a zipcode that is entered into the AM-21 and 2) must also have some level of signal strength.  Is this conclusion accurate?

Is there any way to encourage DTv to list all of those channels in the database?

1. Pretty much

2. you can't try, but doing hold your breath on a resolution 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

1. Pretty much

2. you can't try, but doing hold your breath on a resolution 

And indicative of the magnitude of the problem under #2, consider yourself very lucky if you find anyone at DIRECTV accessible to a customer that's know much of anything about the AM21 much less or how it operates.

For instance, when I complained sometime back about the removal of real OTA scanning from the Genie with AM21 to the Office of the President (the successor to Ellen Filipiak's group and virtual "911" for hard to resolve customer complaint cases) it still was a long painstaking process trying to first explain the basic operation of the AM21 to a Rep. there.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

I want to test my understanding of how an AM-21n works.

I'm in zip 75605.  The AM-21n loads up the channels I want, mostly; but it does not load channel 21-3 from Shreveport, LA.  That channel ("Movies!") shows old movies.  So, I added as a secondary zip 65802 which has a channel 21-3 listed (but not showing the Movies! channel).

Now, the only channel from zip 65802 that is available to me is 21-3 plus of course I've got the channels from zip 75605, my primary zip. 

To record the Movies! channel I can make manual recordings - I can't use the guide data to do so as it is incorrect, not showing Movies! listings. There are twelve markets in the transponder database that  have an OTA channel that is listed that is showing Movies!.  Is there any way to encourage DTv to list all of those channels in the database?

Zip code 75605 KPXJ channel 21 broadcasts on channel 21 so that is where the AM-21 will look for the 21.3 broadcast. Zip code 65802 broadcasts on channel 23 and translates as channel 21.X so it won't see your channel 21.3.

#5 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for all the answers.  I did not have much hope that there was a way to get DTv to add my 21-3 to the local OTA database. 

With respect to the concern  below:  all I can say is that what I did worked.  If I have my "new" channel 21-3 displayed in the guide, the channel info shows KOZKDT3 and is identified as a PBS affiliate from Springfield, Missouri.  When I play channel 21-3, my TV displays what my local 21-3 channel is showing.  Hmmm...

Zip code 75605 KPXJ channel 21 broadcasts on channel 21 so that is where the AM-21 will look for the 21.3 broadcast. Zip code 65802 broadcasts on channel 23 and translates as channel 21.X so it won't see your channel 21.3.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...