Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Different number of channels on different receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dickberr

dickberr

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

I have four DirecTV receivers and each one has a different number of All Channels and Channels I Get.  My HR44/500 says All Channels are 795 and Channels I Get are 774; HR24/500 says 907 and 834; H23/600 says 679 and 658; HR22/100 says 805 and 784.  

I created a comparison table by receiver by satellite by transponder and they are essentially the same ... the HR24 gets satellites 110 and 119 where as the others don't, otherwise they all get the same satellites and transponders.  

This difference was initially noted on the H23/600 when it would not display the Playboy HD channels.  If I turn Hide SD Duplicates OFF it will display BOTH SD & HD Playboy channels sometimes!  When I Hide SD Duplicates it turns off the HD channels and leaves the SD channels.

Attached is a PDF of my comparison table.   

Any other suggestions before I call DirecTV tech support and spend and hour trying to explain this problem?  

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Playboy HD and Playboy SD are not simulcasts of eachother, they have different schedules.

The HRs are likely including VOD channels in the total count

In addition to the Spanish and Chinese channels, 119 has several other channels that are available in English base packages like mun2, Hope, UniMas West, Once TV, V-Me, TBN Enlace, and extra Sonic Tap channels

Edited by KyL416, 04 May 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 443 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

Playboy HD and Playboy SD are not simulcasts of eachother, they have different schedules.

In addition to the Spanish and Chinese channels, 119 has several other channels that are available in English base packages like mun2, Hope, UniMas West, Once TV, V-Me, TBN Enlace, and extra Sonic Tap channels

and Arirang 2095 and CCTV English 2119 are in the English packages too. I have the Xtra Package and receive both of those channels.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Arirang is on the 103 satellite so it wouldn't count in the difference between the one that gets 110/119 and the others.

I left a bunch of other channels out for 119, the general point was that there's more channels on 119 than just the Spanish and Chinese package stations so a receiver that gets it will have more channels in Channels I Get than the ones that don't.

Edited by KyL416, 04 May 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:26 PM

I have four DirecTV receivers and each one has a different number of All Channels and Channels I Get.

You are not the first one to notice this either... [All Channels] & [Channels I Get] varies according to HDDVR model

That is correct, they do include them in the total counts.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

If each receiver gives you all the channels you are supposed to receive, call it good...if you arent getting all the channels on certain receivers then its time to call.  If you are calling just to point out what an incredible waste of time you went through compiling that list....... :rotfl:

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

If each receiver gives you all the channels you are supposed to receive, call it good...if you arent getting all the channels on certain receivers then its time to call.  If you are calling just to point out what an incredible waste of time you went through compiling that list....... :rotfl:

As the channel count varies occasionally based on program distribution among the transponders, it might not even be correct.

It is widely known that those who don't see 119W are getting screwed out of some of what they are entitled to but it is against apologist doctrine to bring it to light.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

It's a well known, long term issue and not meaningful in any way.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

As the channel count varies occasionally based on program distribution among the transponders, it might not even be correct.

It is widely known that those who don't see 119W are getting screwed out of some of what they are entitled to but it is against apologist doctrine to bring it to light.

How are they screwed? They can call Directv and have them replace the LNB if they want to view programming from 119.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Screwed? Most of the 119 stuff is in a different package than the other stuff as it is international, mostly. There are one or two channels I can't get because of a tree. It is my choice. I am not being screwed out of a anything. If I can't get it, *I* still decide if I want the product.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#11 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

How are they screwed? They can call Directv and have them replace the LNB if they want to view programming from 119.

They shouldn't have to call to get the right equipment to get the programming that they are entitled to. It should be installed from the get go. Many customers probably don't realize they aren't getting all of the channels they are paying for.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

They shouldn't have to call to get the right equipment to get the programming that they are entitled to. It should be installed from the get go. Many customers probably don't realize they aren't getting all of the channels they are paying for.

I had to request the smaller dish because of a tree. Who is not getting what they should?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have four DirecTV receivers and each one has a different number of All Channels and Channels I Get.  My HR44/500 says All Channels are 795 and Channels I Get are 774; HR24/500 says 907 and 834; H23/600 says 679 and 658; HR22/100 says 805 and 784.  

I created a comparison table by receiver by satellite by transponder and they are essentially the same ... the HR24 gets satellites 110 and 119 where as the others don't, otherwise they all get the same satellites and transponders.  

This difference was initially noted on the H23/600 when it would not display the Playboy HD channels.  If I turn Hide SD Duplicates OFF it will display BOTH SD & HD Playboy channels sometimes!  When I Hide SD Duplicates it turns off the HD channels and leaves the SD channels.

Attached is a PDF of my comparison table.   

Any other suggestions before I call DirecTV tech support and spend and hour trying to explain this problem?  

How is this possible? Do you have two dishes?

#14 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

I had to request the smaller dish because of a tree. Who is not getting what they should?

There are numerous channels on 119 besides local sd channels.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,651 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

It should be installed from the get go. Many customers probably don't realize they aren't getting all of the channels they are paying for.

Most customers would not agree with your statement, specially those die hard fans of the NFL!  Do you think they would prefer Mun2(or pick you won from 119) to the NFL if they could not get LOS to the 119 which is very common 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Many customers probably don't realize they aren't getting all of the channels they are paying for.

I guess they didn't read the channel lineup they are given after an install, there's a star right next to the affected channels with a footnote about needing special equipment along with a number to call to get it.

Outside of mun2 (which became available in non-Spanish packages about 2 years ago), UniMas West (which became available in non-Spanish packages in the past year), the SD versions of HBO Latino and TWC Deportes and the extra Sonic Tap channels, all the other channels you can get without a Spanish or Chinese package are the free P/I channels that the FCC requires satellite providers to devote a portion of the bandwidth on each slot. Even if DirecTV moved the non-P/I English tier channels to the 101 slot or MPEG4 slots, 119 will still have to have the P/I channels like Hope, V-Me, Canal Once, Enlace, HITN and CCTV News. The World Direct 95 slot has their own share of P/I channels too like MHz Worldview, INCTV and an additional uplink of CCTV News.

Edited by KyL416, 05 May 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

Most customers would not agree with your statement, specially those die hard fans of the NFL!  Do you think they would prefer Mun2(or pick you won from 119) to the NFL if they could not get LOS to the 119 which is very common 

No, but the customer should have the option. The only place a 5 lnb is required is where the sd locals are on 119. If that's not the case, but the programming ordered requires it, the customer should be informed of the choice to lose a few channels or lose Directv. Simple.

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

Last time I checked, there were at least seven channels that are in every package that are at 119W. That count may have gone up or down, but clearly, they exist. That you decide that they aren't of sufficient interest to you is a happy coincidence for you.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,651 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

No, but the customer should have the option. The only place a 5 lnb is required is where the sd locals are on 119. If that's not the case, but the programming ordered requires it, the customer should be informed of the choice to lose a few channels or lose Directv. Simple.

the fact that they don't complain means that there are not missing them. Mi have been to a few upgrades because customers want the Hope Channel and GodTV (not sure if that is the name)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

the fact that they don't complain means that there are not missing them. Mi have been to a few upgrades because customers want the Hope Channel and GodTV (not sure if that is the name)

You'd think that if god had his own channel, he wouldn't need a specific satellite to transmit if from.  It would transmit from everywhere and even a misaligned dish would be able to received it at 100% strength.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...