Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Different number of channels on different receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

You'd think that if god had his own channel, he wouldn't need a specific satellite to transmit if from. It would transmit from everywhere and even a misaligned dish would be able to received it at 100% strength.

lets not go there....lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

the fact that they don't complain means that there are not missing them. Mi have been to a few upgrades because customers want the Hope Channel and GodTV (not sure if that is the name)

Possibly, but I suspect few customers go through the list of subscribed channels to be sure they are getting all of them.

#23 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

I have four DirecTV receivers and each one has a different number of All Channels and Channels I Get.  My HR44/500 says All Channels are 795 and Channels I Get are 774; HR24/500 says 907 and 834; H23/600 says 679 and 658; HR22/100 says 805 and 784.  

I created a comparison table by receiver by satellite by transponder and they are essentially the same ... the HR24 gets satellites 110 and 119 where as the others don't, otherwise they all get the same satellites and transponders.  

This difference was initially noted on the H23/600 when it would not display the Playboy HD channels.  If I turn Hide SD Duplicates OFF it will display BOTH SD & HD Playboy channels sometimes!  When I Hide SD Duplicates it turns off the HD channels and leaves the SD channels.

Attached is a PDF of my comparison table.   

Any other suggestions before I call DirecTV tech support and spend and hour trying to explain this problem?  

How is this possible? Do you have two dishes?

Doesn't anyone want to address this?

#24 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Doesn't anyone want to address this?

Sounds like the receivers aren't all configured for 5LNB. If you use SWM you don't experience the guide issues you would on a legacy system if you configure for 3LNB when you have a 5LNB.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#25 OFFLINE   dickberr

dickberr

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

I have verified that a simple Receiver Reset restores the missing HD channels but after a power-off/on cycle they are gone again.  Time to call DirecTV.  

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Possibly, but I suspect few customers go through the list of subscribed channels to be sure they are getting all of them.

So all you want is just an extra line on you guide? ingenious 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#27 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

Huh?

#28 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

Sounds like the receivers aren't all configured for 5LNB. If you use SWM you don't experience the guide issues you would on a legacy system if you configure for 3LNB when you have a 5LNB.

He has a swm system so it automatically detects the lnb. All of his boxes should see the same thing, a sl5 lnb.

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

He has a swm system so it automatically detects the lnb. All of his boxes should see the same thing, a sl5 lnb.

Not necessarily, a system with a SWM switch would not detect the LNB

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Huh?

Exactly!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Not necessarily, a system with a SWM switch would not detect the LNB

I didn't know that. 

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

I didn't know that. 

well, now you do... :D

Keep in mind that before the switch is still "legacy"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#33 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Huh?

Exactly!

Exactly what? What does an extra line in the guide mean, or have to do with the topic? I'm referring to customers not getting all of their subscribed channels.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Exactly what? What does an extra line in the guide mean, or have to do with the topic? I'm referring to customers not getting all of their subscribed channels.

which most of them do not need want, just making the guide longer.....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

That's what favorite lists are for.

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

That's what favorite lists are for.

exactly. Why go through more steps if not necessary

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Huh? I mean there should be every channel that you can get then you decide which you want showing in your guide. And a working cig feature but don't get me started on that one.

#38 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

which most of them do not need want, just making the guide longer.....

What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about a customer getting all of the channels they pay for, and you are making veiled nonsensical references.

#39 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about a customer getting all of the channels they pay for, and you are making veiled nonsensical references.

The only channels they're actually "paying" for is mun2, UniMas West, the SD feeds of HBO Latino and TWC Deportes and some extra Sonic Tap channels. Up until 2 years ago mun2 was a Spanish package only station, UniMas was Spanish package only until a year ago and the vast majority of their target audience gets it in their locals anyway, HBO Latino is mostly a Spanish simulcast of HBO that can be heard via the SAP feed on the main HBO channels, and both HBO Latino and TWC Deportes have HD feeds that are available with a slimline 3.

Everything else is the FREE P/I channels that the FCC requires satellite providers to have at every slot, even if DirecTV were to move mun2, UniMas West and the extra Sonic Tap channels to 101, 99 or 103 DirecTV would still be required to carry the free P/I channels on 119 unless they stop transmitting programming from the slot entirely. 99 and 103 have their share of P/I channels too (which MPEG2 only subscribers can't get) along with the World Direct 95 slot that requires a seperate dish. Should DirecTV make MPEG4 equipment along with a World Direct dish standard for everyone so they get those free P/I channels too?

All of this, including the P/I channels that require MPEG4 equipment or a World Direct dish is indicated on the channel lineup people are given after an install. It isn't in fine print either, it's right there on the bottom in easy to read text naming the channels with a number to call to upgrade your system if you want them.

It isn't limited to DirecTV either, Dish has their own set of P/I channels on 118 that are not available unless you have a setup for their international packages. Heck when Dish first debuted the eastern arc subscribers who had the at the time standard setup where you used 61 instead of 129 because of line of site issues were missing out on channels when instead of mirroring 129 to 61 they starting putting some of the 129 channels on 72. At the time they were only offering the eastern arc setup to new subscribers in select markets, existing subscribers had to either do it themselves or pay to get their system converted to eastern arc.

Edited by KyL416, 07 May 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

I had to request the smaller dish because of a tree. Who is not getting what they should?

If your locals aren't on 119 and you don't get Spanish programming, you are given a SL3. It's never mentioned that some of the channels in the list aren't there. The channels aren't very popular and are asterisked online, but few notice or care. There are people who probably WOULD watch JLTV if they knew they could, but few investigate further. I find the way the channels are listed online to be VERY hard to read. I got a SL5 when I realized there are SV locals I could get with the SL5 since Roanoke, VA locals are SV in some NC counties. My neighbors hooked onto it to get the Spanish packages. Another neighbor is hooking on soon. I have the Directv Deportes pack, now, since I can. It's a good deal, but there's no reason for Fox Deportes to not be in HD. 

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...