Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Different number of channels on different receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

That's what favorite lists are for.

Not if what you pay for is on the 119 and you can't see it!

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

I was one of those Dish customers with the wing dish, getting ripped off because dish decided to put their HD additions on the 72.5, well guess what us wing dish customers didn't have access to 72.5 or 77 and dish was dropping a $100 bomb on us in order to upgrade to eastern arc.
We are talking about main stream channels, not the crap that's on Directv 119 with no ratings even worth posting .

Sent from my Galaxy S5

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about a customer getting all of the channels they pay for, and you are making veiled nonsensical references.

Apparently you are the only one NOT to get it.  Get it?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

If your locals aren't on 119 and you don't get Spanish programming, you are given a SL3. It's never mentioned that some of the channels in the list aren't there.

My experience was the opposite. I had to request the SL3. And even if that has changed, they are noted on the webpage. What are they supposed to do, jump in your face and say "you know you won't get MHz?

This is a whole bunch of nothing. And has little to do with what the OP was asking about. Instead of trying to help, some bashers decided to use this to bash. It is called a thread hijack.

• KyL416 likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#45 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Apparently you are the only one NOT to get it.  Get it?

So explain it again without the obfuscation.

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

So explain it again without the obfuscation.

See below 

This is a whole bunch of nothing. And has little to do with what the OP was asking about. Instead of trying to help, some bashers decided to use this to bash. It is called a thread hijack.

Right on!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

So instead of answering my question, you resort to more obfuscation. Not surprising.

#48 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

My experience was the opposite. I had to request the SL3. And even if that has changed, they are noted on the webpage. What are they supposed to do, jump in your face and say "you know you won't get MHz?

Well you don't get MHz with the 119...

No, they shouldn't put things in packages where most of the subscribers won't see it. I don't understand why that's such a hard concept. It is relevant because with such a variance in channels, not seeing a lot of channels could be caused by a lack of seeing a satellite. It is then logical to discuss programming in packages that is not seen with missing satellites. 

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#49 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Well you don't get MHz with the 119...

No, they shouldn't put things in packages where most of the subscribers won't see it. I don't understand why that's such a hard concept. It is relevant because with such a variance in channels, not seeing a lot of channels could be caused by a lack of seeing a satellite. It is then logical to discuss programming in packages that is not seen with missing satellites. 

Not if you are a Directv apologist. 

#50 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Discuss the topic and not each other.  Not gonna say it again.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

Why is so hard to understand that these channels are not that important 99% of the customer base.  If you DO want the channels, call DirecTV and have them install a 95 dish PLUS a 5 LNB and be done with it.  there done!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#52 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

If you order programming that requires certain equipment to receive all of the channels you pay for, you shouldn't have to ask for the right equipment to do it. It doesn't matter in any way whether you are in the 99 percentile or the 1 percentile. You should be able to get the programming you pay for. It's really that simple.

#53 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Again, even if DirecTV were to move mun2, UniMas West (which is also available as a LIL in most markets they target) and the Sonic Tap channels to a slot that the slimline 3 can get while HBO Latino and TWC Deportes have HD feeds on 103, the FCC REQUIRES them to provide FREE P/I channels on 119 and 95 as long as its in use to provide programming, right now those are Vme, Hope, Once TV, Enlace, HITN and CCTV News on 119 and MHz Worldview, INC TV and CCTV News on 95. As long as DirecTV is using 119 and 95 to deliver international programming there will ALWAYS be the free P/I channels on them unless the FCC changes the rule and removes the requirement.

Then that brings up the other end, while 119 only has 2 TV channels that you are actually paying for, there are a LOT of HD only channels like the Sports Mix, HBO Zone, HBO Comedy, Starz Kids and Family, Showtime Women, ThrillerMax, AXS, the UEFA channels, EPL extra time, Velocity and others are technically part of packages SD only subscribers have, and 99 and 103 have their own share of free P/I channels like NASA, Free Speech TV, GEB, God TV, JLTV and Arirang TV. All of which are unavailable to SD only subscribers who just have a round 18 inch dish or the Phase 3 that gets 101/110/119.

So do you want DirecTV to make World Direct dishes (which means a second dish on the roof of every subscriber), Slimline 5's and MPEG4 equipment standard for every install so everyone gets all the channels?

DirecTV was smart in how they planned this, they were well aware of the line of site issues of 119 so they limited the P/I selection on 119 to ones that would be of interest to those who subscribe to Spanish or Chinese packages and limited 95 to international ones. mun2 didn't become available in English packages until 2 years ago, UniMas was last year and most of their target audience have it in their locals anyway, the bulk of HBO Latino's programming is a simulcast of HBO and can be heard in spanish via the SAP feed, TWC Deportes didn't even exist until last year, the Sonic Tap thing didn't become an issue until it replaced XM since the channels on 119 were only available in the Spanish or commercial packages.

Edited by KyL416, 07 May 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

Again, even if DirecTV were to move mun2, UniMas West (which is also available as a LIL in most markets they target) and the Sonic Tap channels to a slot that the slimline 3 can get while HBO Latino and TWC Deportes have HD feeds on 103, the FCC REQUIRES them to provide FREE P/I channels on 119 and 95 as long as its in use to provide programming, right now those are Vme, Hope, Once TV, Enlace, HITN and CCTV News on 119 and MHz Worldview, INC TV and CCTV News on 95. As long as DirecTV is using 119 and 95 to deliver international programming there will ALWAYS be the free P/I channels on them unless the FCC changes the rule and removes the requirement.

Then that brings up the other end, while 119 only has 2 TV channels that you are actually paying for, there are a LOT of HD only channels like the Sports Mix, HBO Zone, HBO Comedy, Starz Kids and Family, Showtime Women, ThrillerMax, AXS, the UEFA channels, EPL extra time, Velocity and others are technically part of packages SD only subscribers have, and 99 and 103 have their own share of free P/I channels like NASA, Free Speech TV, GEB, God TV, JLTV and Arirang TV. All of which are unavailable to SD only subscribers who just have a round 18 inch dish or the Phase 3 that gets 101/110/119.

So do you want DirecTV to make World Direct dishes (which means a second dish on the roof of every subscriber), Slimline 5's and MPEG4 equipment standard for every install so everyone gets all the channels?

DirecTV was smart in how they planned this, they were well aware of the line of site issues of 119 so they limited the P/I selection on 119 to ones that would be of interest to those who subscribe to Spanish or Chinese packages and limited 95 to international ones. mun2 didn't become available in English packages until 2 years ago, UniMas was last year and most of their target audience have it in their locals anyway, the bulk of HBO Latino's programming is a simulcast of HBO and can be heard in spanish via the SAP feed, TWC Deportes didn't even exist until last year, the Sonic Tap thing didn't become an issue until it replaced XM since the channels on 119 were only available in the Spanish or commercial packages.

I want Directv to supply the equipment necessary for customers to get the programming that they pay for. Why is this such a difficult concept?

#55 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

I want Directv to supply the equipment necessary for customers to get the programming that they pay for. Why is this such a difficult concept?

So you want them to install a SL5 for everyone? Meaning tens of thousands (at least) of customers who got Directv installed and are 100% happy with all the channels they get would have been refused installation because they were unable to get LOS to 119. Yeah, that's a terrific plan!

Kyl416 says there are only two pay channels on 119, the rest are channels that pay Directv. So it may be that customers who don't get 119 are getting a deal, because Directv is probably getting paid more to carry those channels than it pays for those two. If they made you happy by dropping all those channels from packages, so people "don't pay for channels they don't get" their bills might go up by a few cents a month. I'm sure Directv customers will get behind your great plan! :sure:

Edited by slice1900, 07 May 2014 - 09:47 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#56 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Again, 

Dont waste your breath.  he's too short minded.  

Imagine folks getting 2 dishes every time just so they can get all of the PI channels.....   DirecTV customer base will go down in half in one fell swoop

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#57 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

So you want them to install a SL5 for everyone? Meaning tens of thousands (at least) of customers who got Directv installed and are 100% happy with all the channels they get would have been refused installation because they were unable to get LOS to 119. Yeah, that's a terrific plan!

Yup, terrific plan for the self centric.  I will bet he would not be happy with having two dishes....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#58 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Dont waste your breath.  he's too short minded.  

Imagine folks getting 2 dishes every time just so they can get all of the PI channels.....   DirecTV customer base will go down in half in one fell swoop

I said nothing about public information channels. Perhaps you should read my post again. I am talking about channels THAT ARE PAID FOR! It's not the customers fault where Directv decides to place certain channels. 

#59 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

Kyl416 says there are only two pay channels on 119, the rest are channels that pay Directv. So it may be that customers who don't get 119 are getting a deal, because Directv is probably getting paid more to carry those channels than it pays for those two. If they made you happy by dropping all those channels from packages, so people "don't pay for channels they don't get" their bills might go up by a few cents a month. I'm sure Directv customers will get behind your great plan! :sure:

They should install an sl5 for everyone THAT PAYS FOR PROGRAMMING that is on 119. I'm sure that if everyone that is missing programming that they are paying for knew about it they wouldn't be 100% happy.

#60 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

The vast majority of the channels that you get without an international package on 119 and 95 are NOT channels you are paying for, most of them are FREE channels that the FCC REQUIRES all satellite providers to devote a portion of the bandwidth on each slot to. Again, you are NOT paying for these channels as they are FREE, in order to qualify as P/I they cannot charge DirecTV for them and they have to pay their own way via transport fees. As long as DirecTV is using these slots for US programming they will be required to provide these FREE channels.

mun2 and the extra Sonic Tap channels are the only ones people are missing out on. UniMas is available as a local channel for most of their target audience, Most of HBO Latino is a simulcast of HBO and can be heard via the SAP feed in addition to it and TWC Deportes having an HD feed on 103. Prior to a few years ago mun2 and UniMas were only available in Spanish packages, TWC Deportes didn't exist (every other RSN didn't see a need for a Spanish channel and use a SAP feed), and the only music channels on 119 required a Spanish or commercial package.

There are actually a LOT more channels SD only subscribers are paying for that are only HD only. (i.e. SD only subscribers just get 3 channels of Cinemax while HD subscribers get 8, along with a bunch of other channels that don't require a premium package like Sportsmix, Velocity, AXS, MLB Strikezone, UEFA, EPL, etc in addition to the free P/I channels that are on 99 and 103)

DirecTV WILL supply the equipment neessary on request, it's explained in the channel lineup you are handed after an installed that flag the channels this affects and then names them all again with a number to call. Some of the equipment like World Direct is a special order that many installers only have a limited stock of while MPEG4 equipment costs more than MPEG2 only equipment, not to mention the need for additional equipment like RF modulators for most TVs that came out prior to the late 90s since the MPEG4 receivers don't have RF outputs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...