Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Different number of channels on different receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

The vast majority of the channels that you get without an international package on 119 and 95 are NOT channels you are paying for, most of them are FREE channels that the FCC REQUIRES all satellite providers to devote a portion of the bandwidth on each slot to. Again, you are NOT paying for these channels as they are FREE, in order to qualify as P/I they cannot charge DirecTV for them and they have to pay their own way via transport fees. As long as DirecTV is using these slots for US programming they will be required to provide these FREE channels.

mun2 and the extra Sonic Tap channels are the only ones people are missing out on. UniMas is available as a local channel for most of their target audience, Most of HBO Latino is a simulcast of HBO and can be heard via the SAP feed in addition to it and TWC Deportes having an HD feed on 103. Prior to a few years ago mun2 and UniMas were only available in Spanish packages, TWC Deportes didn't exist (every other RSN didn't see a need for a Spanish channel and use a SAP feed), and the only music channels on 119 required a Spanish or commercial package.

There are actually a LOT more channels SD only subscribers are paying for that are only HD only. (i.e. SD only subscribers just get 3 channels of Cinemax while HD subscribers get 8, along with a bunch of other channels that don't require a premium package like Sportsmix, Velocity, AXS, MLB Strikezone, UEFA, EPL, etc in addition to the free P/I channels that are on 99 and 103)

DirecTV WILL supply the equipment neessary on request, it's explained in the channel lineup you are handed after an installed that flag the channels this affects and then names them all again with a number to call. Some of the equipment like World Direct is a special order that many installers only have a limited stock of while MPEG4 equipment costs more than MPEG2 only equipment, not to mention the need for additional equipment like RF modulators for most TVs that came out prior to the late 90s since the MPEG4 receivers don't have RF outputs.

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT FREE CHANNELS, I'M TALKING ABOUT CHANNELS THAT ARE PAID FOR! WHY DON'T YOU GET THAT???

Edited by studechip, 07 May 2014 - 10:18 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

I'm paying my cable company for access to video on demand, but I don't have access to it. Why? Because I use a Tivo, with a cable card, which doesn't work for VOD with my cable company. I guess everyone in a similar situation to me is getting screwed just as badly as you seem to think Directv customers with a SL3 are.

You don't see me whining about it, and I'm the one paying for it. So maybe you should quit worrying about what OTHER people have and concern yourself with what you have. Do you have a SL5? If so, quit complaining. If not, call Directv and they'll give you one, so you can see all that valuable programming you're so agitated about!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#63 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

I'm paying my cable company for access to video on demand, but I don't have access to it. Why? Because I use a Tivo, with a cable card, which doesn't work for VOD with my cable company. I guess everyone in a similar situation to me is getting screwed just as badly as you seem to think Directv customers with a SL3 are.

You don't see me whining about it, and I'm the one paying for it. So maybe you should quit worrying about what OTHER people have and concern yourself with what you have. Do you have a SL5? If so, quit complaining. If not, call Directv and they'll give you one, so you can see all that valuable programming you're so agitated about!

Who supplied you with the TIVO?

#64 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Who supplied you with the TIVO?

I bought it myself, but they've been advertising that they offer Tivos now, so I suppose I could rent one from them and end up paying much more over the years.

Edited by slice1900, 07 May 2014 - 10:48 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#65 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

I bought it myself.

So you made the decision to use equipment that prevents you from getting what you pay for. That's not the same thing as Directv making the decision for you, is it? What if Directv decided to move DIY HD to 119. Would that be okay? Would those that pay for it have a right to complain then?

#66 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

I warned everyone and yet the personal comments continue.  

Since the thread has been hijacked by a few members seem to be unable to post without making it personal, this thread is closed.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...