Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with Directv roof installation/upgrade

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   roberto

roberto

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

I am a long-time Directv customer, but new to this forum.  I am seeking guidance for a problem

I am currently having with my service.

About 2 weeks ago, I started having problems where I could not get a signal reliably on several

HD channels I tried.  I check the satellite signal strength, and found poor signals on a couple of

the satellites.  I called Directv, and the CSR offered to upgrade me to the "Genie" system; my

(non-SWM) dish is relatively old -- installed around 2006, I think, when I first went to HD -- and

my understanding is that it needs to be upgraded in order to support the newer receivers.  (My

current primary receiver is an HR-21, which replaced an HR-20 that died a couple of years ago;

I also have been using an old non-HD DVR in my bedroom).  I agreed to the upgrade, which

required a new 2-year service commitment, but was otherwise free.  I emphasized to the CSR

that the dish is on the roof of my (2-story) house, and she set up the install for a couple of

days later.

The tech (from Multiband) showed up on the installation date, but the weather was bad (rain,

thunderstorm), and we agreed the work needed to be postponed for safety.  He did look at the

current dish (from the ground), and observed that the LNB seemed to be damaged.  Other than

the bad weather that day, he did not indicate that there would be any other issue with the new

install, which was rescheduled for a few days later.  On that day, the weather was bad again,

so the install was rescheduled again for a couple of days later. 

Finally, on that day, the weather was good; a different tech from Multiband showed up, but

immediately told me that he would not be able to install the new dish where the old one was,

as he did not have a ladder that tall, and they were no longer supposed to go on roofs.  I asked

why the first tech had not said anything about that, or at least mentioned needing a sufficiently

tall ladder for the job, and he only said that it must have been from a different contractor, which

I believe was simply untrue.  I also pointed out that I had told Directv that the dish was on the

roof.  He only offered to install the new dish somewhere else (leaving the old one on the roof),

but I noted that I had learned from the previous install that the roof was the only feasible location

with a proper line of sight to all of the satellites.  He poked around the property for a couple of

minutes, and finally said he was calling in to ask a supervisor for assistance.  A woman from

Multiband then called me, and asked me to acknowledge that the installation was being

cancelled due to a line of sight problem.  I said I would not acknowledge that, and that the issue

was that the tech would not go on the roof.  She connected me with someone who said they

would come to the house to "assess" the situation within 72 hours.  That was one week ago, and

I have not heard anything from them or Directv.  Meanwhile, of course, I still have the problem

with my existing service, which prompted my call in the first place.

So, my question is, what is the best way to deal with this?  From previous experience, I am

guessing that I will need to find a local installer to do the work; I actually did that for the earlier

install (after having problems with the techs sent at that time by Directv), but that installer is

apparently no longer around.  Can anyone recommend a reliable installer in the Boston area,

who is willing and able to work on a roof?  Would they be able to provide my new equipment

(one way or another), or would I need to have Directv send it to me, hope that it's right, and

have the installer install it?  Would I need to pay them out of pocket, and then try to get Directv

to compensate me?  Or should I try to resolve this with Directv and/or Multiband (whom I am

not sure I would trust to do a proper installation at this point)?

Any advice is welcome.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

While is true that techs are not supposed to work of the ladder, you can call DirecTV and schedule another appointment as usual and hopefully you get a tech that is willing to break the rules. Or if you want, you can sign the waiver and let the tech use a harness to get on the roof.

Getting this done outside DirecTV means at you have to acquire all the equipment yourself and you will have to pay for it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,702 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

You are not being treated extraordinarily.

Insurance and liability issues rule the day.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

I have never heard of a w waiver being needed for fall protection (harness) to be used. Why would a waiver be needed? The tech needs a supervisor to bring out a fall protection system to get off the ladder if I were you I would escalate this issue with DTV. Don't go paying someone else to do the work or buy equipment when it is going to be a free upgrade through DTV.  Look on Directv.com and find the contact us link and send them an email letting them know what all took place they will handle this for you.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

I have never heard of a w waiver being needed for fall protection (harness) to be used. Why would a waiver be needed?

a Waiver is needed to install the plates where the harness gets attached.  DirecTV is in no way responsible for any damages (leaks) arising from the installation of these plates.  The plates will remain on the customers roof permanently 

If you never seen one or you have not  used the harness, best not to talk about of what you don't know 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

peds, I have a question.  As it sound like you have used fall protection, how do you get the mount plates up there? It sounds like a chicken or egg situation, you need fall protection to work on the roof but you cant get off the ladder to mount the plates without fall protection

On a side note, it is interesting how different companies feel about this.  When I had my roof done a couple years ago fall protection was the last thing on the roofers list of concerns...

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Fall protection isn't used to get on the roof. It's purpose is to keep you from hitting the ground.

The anchor is installed at the edge of the roof from the ladder. If the roof is to steep to walk on then fall protection is irrelevant.

A doublewide would require fall protection. A roof with a steep pitch would be a NLOS.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,311 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

peds, I have a question.  As it sound like you have used fall protection, how do you get the mount plates up there? It sounds like a chicken or egg situation, you need fall protection to work on the roof but you cant get off the ladder to mount the plates without fall protection

On a side note, it is interesting how different companies feel about this.  When I had my roof done a couple years ago fall protection was the last thing on the roofers list of concerns...

OSHA has been cracking down in recent years, but not even DirecTV has a clearly delineated policy (IMO).

Remember Undercover Boss with DirecTV a few years ago?  The CEO climbed up on the roof with one installer as they were trying to troubleshoot a problem, yet on an install he went on, the installer wouldn't let him climb on the roof as it 'violated safety regulations.'

Here is a roofer who got hammered by OSHA.

May 02, 2013

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Longwood-based Collis Roofing Inc. with three willful and one serious safety violation for exposing workers to fall and other hazards while they were performing roofing work at three residential sites in Jacksonville, Oviedo and Palm Harbor. Two inspections were initiated in November 2012 and a third in December 2012 after OSHA inspectors observed employees without fall protection. These inspections were all part of the agency's local emphasis program on fall hazards in construction. Proposed penalties total $213,300.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

as samrs mentioned, first one is installed by the edge of roof.  the lanyard is about 6 ft long, IIRC.  so if you need to go further, you need another plate once you are anchored to the roof. of course this only applies to roofs that are not to steep.  very steep roofs gets cancelled.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

it only takes one to die and the company to be sue and pay millions for them to get serious.  sad.....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Fall protection isn't used to get on the roof. 

Yes it is.  if you work on the ladder you don't need fall protection.  if you need to get on the roof you need fall protection. easy peasy 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

If you never seen one or you have not  used the harness, best not to talk about of what you don't know 

Whoa there buddy I assure I have saw and know exactly how the fall protection system works. O&O  which is DirecTV does not have any plates at all. I am not sure what kind of contraption you guys at Mastec are using. DirecTV uses 4 different anchoring methods for work. 

1. Counterweight anchor - this method uses an engineered anchor box that has 18 weights in it, the box and weights are placed beside the house, in-line and opposite, the installation location of dish. The lifeline is connected to the box using the connecting carabiner.It is the weight of the box and the lifeline bearing on the roof that resist the forces generated in a fall.

2. Vehicle hitch anchor - This anchor uses a vehicle with a towing package, the anchor attaches to the hitch and the weight of the vehicle and the lifeline bearing on the roof resists the forces generated in a fall.

3.Concrete anchor  - This is the only method that a hole must be drilled into the customers concrete foundation. The wedge of the concrete anchor and the lifeline bearing on the roof resist the forces generated in a fall.

4. Anchor strap - The last method is a 6 foot strap the can be wrapped around existing structure found on the property such as a tree.

There are no waivers signed with any of these methods but customer must approve of the hole being drilled into concrete for the concrete anchor method.

It most likely is other "kits" available but this is what DirecTV uses in all of their markets. 

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

1. Counterweight anchor - this method uses an engineered anchor box that has 18 weights in it, the box and weights are placed beside the house, in-line and opposite, the installation location of dish. The lifeline is connected to the box using the connecting carabiner.It is the weight of the box and the lifeline bearing on the roof that resist the forces generated in a fall.

This one is useless as is only approved for roofs with up to 5 degrees pitch basically flat roofs 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

2. Vehicle hitch anchor - This anchor uses a vehicle with a towing package, the anchor attaches to the hitch and the weight of the vehicle and the lifeline bearing on the roof resists the forces generated in a fall.

have yet to seen a DirecTV or any DirecTV vehicle for that matter with a tow hitch package.  not sure where this is being used..... hmmmmm

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

3.Concrete anchor  - This is the only method that a hole must be drilled into the customers concrete foundation. The wedge of the concrete anchor and the lifeline bearing on the roof resist the forces generated in a fall.

have seen many permutations to this one, some of which requires multiple holes in concrete....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

4. Anchor strap - The last method is a 6 foot strap the can be wrapped around existing structure found on the property such as a tree.

Not sure a tree qualifies as a anchoring point.  I would not risk my like on a tree..

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

and the winner is...

http://www.grainger....&cm_vc=IDPBVZ12

:joy:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

This one is useless as is only approved for roofs with up to 5 degrees pitch basically flat roofs 

This is not true and a tree can be an attachment point for sure. Attached is the system DirecTV uses. You could also learn a lot about it at www.gravitec.com 

Attached Files

#19 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

have yet to seen a DirecTV or any DirecTV vehicle for that matter with a tow hitch package.  not sure where this is being used..... hmmmmm

Every O&O field sup van has a tow package for this purpose exactly.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

This is not true and a tree can be an attachment point for sure. 

perhaps for you, not me!  I want to get back home every day...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...