Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Florida Keys - Been there?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

Been there three times and enjoyed it each time. Plenty of party opportunities if you're so inclined. But also all sorts of interesting history, like the Hemingway House for example. Also interesting attractions like the Butterfly Garden and Key West also has of all things a winery where they turn tropical fruits into wine.

Edited by tsmacro, 07 May 2014 - 06:28 AM.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

I love Key West but forget the summer. The crowd that hangs out there in the winter goes to places like Traverse City or Petosky Mi, (or Maine) when the heat hits. When I lived in Florida, it seemed like everyone wanted to move to the NC mountains to cool off.
  • Rich likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

I was there in September 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Actually drove down all the way from Colorado. I heard the horror stories but drove around town and parked without any problem, but again this was September. This was my second time there, but the first time was 1957 and I was only five. Still remember having a picnic at the 7 mile bridge, which has been replaced now, but the old bridge is still there.

#24 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Well, a bit late to the party here, but I'll chip in. My wife and I visited the keys once, in 2005, and enjoyed it greatly. Spent about a full week there (on our Goldwing which we road down from Seattle). The Keys are their own relaxed lifestyle - I felt like I could get used to being there, but just a few thousand miles too far away from the rest of the family.

#25 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Another a little late to the party!!  :)

I lived in Key West for four years, it was my 2nd to last duty station during my Navy career.  We lived in a 900 sq. ft. duplex, but right on a protected bay.  We all loved it!!  Even the summers.  We didn't use the air conditioning during the day as we were generally outside and found the climate pretty much great year 'round.

Of course, that was back in the mid to late 70's and things have changed quite a bit.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...