Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

An 'internet middleman' calls out six ISPs for letting connections slow down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

An 'internet middleman' calls out six ISPs for letting connections slow down

Level 3 VP Mark Taylor's "Observations of an Internet Middleman" shows what it looks like from his end of the network cable while being squeezed out by ISPs seeking the direct connection deals Netflix has signed with Comcast and Verizon. Without naming the ISPs in question -- Level 3 waged a war with Comcast over Netflix traffic in 2010 before cutting a direct connection deal of its own last year -- he points out that among the company's many connected network peers, only a dozen are suffering congestion. While half of those are in the process of being upgraded, the other six are regularly overloaded, dropping packets and delaying traffic....

469233103.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

I thought for sure it was cableone slowing everyone down. 55 bucks a month for 200-300 KB speeds (.2-.3 meg) download speed between 5PM-1AM if you're not using netflix.  Netflix has a head end server and gets all the proprietary bandwidth. Everyone not stuck with cableone is so lucky but I guess when you live in the sticks you take whats available. Rumor has it fiber is only 50 miles away but that's another issue dealing with the politics to get it.  

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Is ATT U-verse an option for you? I live in the sticks, also, but have good, but slow (2.8 Megs), downloads via U-verse, which looks and feels like good old ADSL.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Is ATT U-verse an option for you? I live in the sticks, also, but have good, but slow (2.8 Megs), downloads via U-verse, which looks and feels like good old ADSL.....

Unfortunately not. The only other options would be satellite that I hear horror stories about and cellular 4G that is also chocked because of the lack of fiber on the Verizon and T-Mobile towers in the area. Verizon has tower hopped 4G into the area but it's also very strangled in the evenings. Works great at 3AM, I can get 15 Meg speeds but in the evening its just like Cableone. 

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...