Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI Port going bad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

I have an Onkyo receiver setup that has my D* box going into the Onkyo and the then out from there to a Panasonic TV.  I had been having issues where the picture does not always come up very quickly and audio is hit or miss but usually miss.  I swapped D* boxes and that solved the problem for a short time.  Also swapped the cable from the Onkyo to the TV.  That also helped for a short period of time.  I am now seeing slowdowns with coming on again.  I am tempted to swap the HDMI cable from the D* box in to the Onkyo but wonder if changing the port would be a better move.  Any insight?  Any other thoughts or recommendations?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

This may have something to do with HDCP authorization on more and more channels than it does any failures on the hardware or software side of things.

As a test, I would recommend cutting the AVR out of the picture entirely and see if that impacts the performance.  If it doesn't, anything else you try probably isn't going to help.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

HDCP is all or nothing, it wouldn't cause the picture to come up slowly or cause problems with audio only.

I'd try bypassing the Onkyo and see if you continue to have problems. Try each of the "Directv to Onkyo" and "Onkyo to TV" HDMI cables to test both. If you can establish that everything is good except when the Onkyo is in the mix, you know it is the issue. If you still have problems without the Onkyo, you have a pretty good idea it is the not the problem and you can narrow down if it is one of the HDMI cables, the Directv receiver's HDMI output, or the HDMI input on your TV.

Edited by slice1900, 06 May 2014 - 03:26 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll try them this weekend.  

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

What model Onkyo?  Some of them had capacitor issues on the HDMI switching board.  I made it longer than most with my TX SR606 but have to replace the capacitors soon.  If this is your issue, switch to the input you want (SAT) and let it all stay on for a couple minutes, power off the AVR, power on the AVR and if it works you will probably have to replace the caps on the HDMI board too.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,059 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

HDCP is all or nothing, it wouldn't cause the picture to come up slowly or cause problems with audio only.

It would be true if HDCP is the all what is happening during HDMI negotiation ...

the delay could be occurring if whole HDMI negotiation stalled by many reasons, like corrupted EDID or non-standard EDID's values, passing EDIDs from TV thru AVR,  etc

#7 OFFLINE   DesertWind53

DesertWind53

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:44 PM

I just had a second Onkyo crap out in the last year and a half due to HDMI board death.. first a TX-NR709. now a 717. MANY Onkyo model have this issue, Google Onkyo+HDMI and be amazed at how widespread this problem is.

Never again - have replaced the latest one with a Sony STR-DN1050 and will NEVER allow any Onkyo products in my home!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...