Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where can I find a GenieGO 2 (MDR2)?

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

I called DTV but of course there's no way they can guarantee I'll get a V2. I even explained that I need the coax connection based on where I want to locate the GG2, but it seems like they are powerless to handle this.

I checked Solid Signal, but it looks like they don't have it either. Has anyone found a source to get one? Thanks,

Edited by stevenme, 06 May 2014 - 02:50 PM.

Steve
HR24-500 + AM-21 -> Samsung 52" LCD
HR24-100 -> Samsung 55" LED
H25-100 -> Samsung 40" LED
MRV DECA-BB
SWMLine

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

As I understand it, DIRECTV and their distributors are committed to selling out of GenieGO 1's before actually putting them out to the market. I know the official release date was 4/28 but aside from some very quick sales at third party vendors, they're impossible to get.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

I called DTV but of course there's no way they can guarantee I'll get a V2. I even explained that I need the coax connection based on where I want to locate the GG2, but it seems like they are powerless to handle this.

I checked Solid Signal, but it looks like they don't have it either. Has anyone found a source to get one? Thanks,

it does not really matters where the GG is located.  bets place would be next to router as to not use and extra splitter port.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Today's SolidSignal special was a GG for $89.00.  Version 1 but other than transcode speed, it's the same.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Today's SolidSignal special was a GG for $89.00.  Version 1 but other than transcode speed, it's the same.  Email said available until midnight or as stock lasts.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Today's SolidSignal special was a GG for $89.00.  Version 1 but other than transcode speed, it's the same.

Considering they were $150.00 a pop, that is a steal! 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

it does not really matters where the GG is located.  bets place would be next to router as to not use and extra splitter port.

Maybe, maybe not the best place.  It depends.

If its on a coax connection, then all the preparation is between the DVR and GenieGO2.

If its on the ethernet connection, then all the preparation goes through the router.

Wiring may be easier at the router but the possibility of slowing down the router for other traffic might be an issue for some.

#8 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

I have 2 HR24's in different locations and the cabinet where I'd like to locate the GG is not near my router but would be near an HR24 (I'm assuming I just need the supplied splitter to connect the GG2 to the coax network). Location aside, I'm also out of LAN ports on my router which would mean adding a hub.

That said why wouldn't anyone want the newer model for the transcoding speed increase alone? Another thing to consider is if DTV is making firmware enhancements in the future, will they be supporting them on the GG1 or just the GG2? I'd rather buy the latest for a few extra dollars especially with a device that is so functionally marginal to begin with. I just wish DTV wouldn’t play these games with forcing users to buy the old before making the new available.

Edited by stevenme, 07 May 2014 - 06:29 AM.

Steve
MRV DECA-BB
SWMLine

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Based on the First look, the increased transcode speed is dependent on the DVR. The HR44 Genie is reportedly the fastest.

The only way to guarantee a GG2 is buy it from a third party vendor, when they become available.

Edited by trh, 07 May 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

I have 2 HR24's in different locations and the cabinet where I'd like to locate the GG is not near my router but would be near an HR24 (I'm assuming I just need the supplied splitter to connect the GG2 to the coax network). Location aside, I'm also out of LAN ports on my router which would mean adding a hub.

That said why wouldn't anyone want the newer model for the transcoding speed increase alone? Another thing to consider is if DTV is making firmware enhancements in the future, will they be supporting them on the GG1 or just the GG2? I'd rather buy the latest for a few extra dollars especially with a device that is so functionally marginal to begin with. I just wish DTV wouldn’t play these games with forcing users to buy the old before making the new available.

Very few customers know of the existence of the 2. Actually, to be honest, the majority of DirecTV customers probably don't know the existence of the original GenieGo.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

These are all excuses, but it they make you feel that this excuses justifies the GG2, then right on! What would you do if you bought a PC and need ed an extra LAN port, you will buy a switch, right? Why would the GG would be any different?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

These are all excuses, but it they make you feel that this excuses justifies the GG2, then right on! What would you do if you bought a PC and need ed an extra LAN port, you will buy a switch, right? Why would the GG would be any different?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If what you are trying to ask is "am I desperate"? The answer is "No". I would rather wait and get the better hardware with the flexibility to install it where I want to. For those that have to have it yesterday, please buy a GG 1 so I can get at the new inventory!

Steve
MRV DECA-BB
SWMLine

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Why? How else do you expect them to get rid of them. That's how pretty much everything works, or at least tries to. The real key is that unless you are on this board or really do your research you wouldn't even know the 2 is coming out. ;)

#14 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

Why? How else do you expect them to get rid of them. That's how pretty much everything works, or at least tries to. The real key is that unless you are on this board or really do your research you wouldn't even know the 2 is coming out. ;)

This is a problem all companies face and most deal with it by discounting the old model while they sell the new ones. DTV wants to get full price (I'm not counting Solid Signals sale to clear their inventory) to clear out old inventory. Imagine that you really want to buy that new 2015 car but the dealer still has 2014s on the lot that must be sold before anyone can buy the new model. I'd like to see that happen!

The good news is I don't feel like I'm missing much while I wait, in fact, I'm not even sure I want to take the plunge with a GG2. From what I've read transcoding is slow (better, but still slow on the GG2), video quality is adequate at best, and the firmware suffers from stability issues. I guess it's the techy in me that really just wants to see if I can conquer the device!  

Steve
MRV DECA-BB
SWMLine

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

This is a problem all companies face and most deal with it by discounting the old model while they sell the new ones. DTV wants to get full price (I'm not counting Solid Signals sale to clear their inventory) to clear out old inventory. Imagine that you really want to buy that new 2015 car but the dealer still has 2014s on the lot that must be sold before anyone can buy the new model. I'd like to see that happen!

The good news is I don't feel like I'm missing much while I wait, in fact, I'm not even sure I want to take the plunge with a GG2. From what I've read transcoding is slow (better, but still slow on the GG2), video quality is adequate at best, and the firmware suffers from stability issues. I guess it's the techy in me that really just wants to see if I can conquer the device!

Yes and no. While generally this is true DIRECTV is in a more unusual situation where they can afford to run out of the old and then pull from the other pile once the old inventory is exhausted.

The biggest problem is we all know that if DIRECTV did discount the old and offer the new at the same time people would just argue and ask for the new at the olders price and they'd never get rid of them.

Personally I think the best thing to do would be to run a promotion for all new subs to get an old one for free till they are gone. Just say limited supply. That's solves all issues.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

The biggest problem is we all know that if DIRECTV did discount the old and offer the new at the same time people would just argue and ask for the new at the olders price and they'd never get rid of them.

Right on!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

Personally I think the best thing to do would be to run a promotion for all new subs to get an old one for free till they are gone. Just say limited supply. That's solves all issues.

The problem is that there aren't that many

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

So it could be a one day sale and make them go in one day? Awesome! Or maybe even just do it for one market. Whatever it takes.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

So it could be a one day sale and make them go in one day? Awesome! Or maybe even just do it for one market. Whatever it takes.

but what is giving them away for free is going to accomplish for DirecTV?  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Getting rid of the old ones so they can release the new ones to third parties and get money out of those. It also would clear out old inventory which is sitting on the books and making new inventory age for no reason.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...