Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where can I find a GenieGO 2 (MDR2)?

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

Getting rid of the old ones so they can release the new ones to third parties and get money out of those. It also would clear out old inventory which is sitting on the books and making new inventory age for no reason.

get more money by loosing money?  you know as well as I do that 99% of the DirecTV customer base does not know the difference between GG1 and GG2. so to give away 500 units to sell 5, hopefully you dont' run your business this way

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

I think 99% if the customer base don't even know what a GenieGo is.

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Exactly my point!  so let's give away a whole bunch of free GG1 so that we can sell 5.  Wohoo.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

but what is giving them away for free is going to accomplish for DirecTV?

The biggest thing it MAY do is help create word of mouth referral/envy for friends/family to buy one. In that sense it would be good for the brand since it isn't marketed well and few know about it. ...

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

The biggest thing it MAY do is help create word of mouth referral/envy for friends/family to buy one. In that sense it would be good for the brand since it isn't marketed well and few know about it. ...

Yep!

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

only if there were thousands to give away.... and still once they find out the will need to pay $150 for a GG they will pass...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,540 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

This is a problem all companies face and most deal with it by discounting the old model while they sell the new ones. DTV wants to get full price (I'm not counting Solid Signals sale to clear their inventory) to clear out old inventory. Imagine that you really want to buy that new 2015 car but the dealer still has 2014s on the lot that must be sold before anyone can buy the new model. I'd like to see that happen!

The good news is I don't feel like I'm missing much while I wait, in fact, I'm not even sure I want to take the plunge with a GG2. From what I've read transcoding is slow (better, but still slow on the GG2), video quality is adequate at best, and the firmware suffers from stability issues. I guess it's the techy in me that really just wants to see if I can conquer the device!  

Video quality isn't fantastic HD, no. But for it's primary use case, that's not what most would want. Takes too much space, limited use on small screens. Now, I have an iPad 2 so I haven't seen it on retina, but I've been satisfied.

Slow transcoding is in the eye of the beholder. I've been transcoding like crazy lately getting my wife ready for a trip. Did it take a long time to transcode? Don't really know as I just let it work overnight. I'd done my own speed tests before, but results may vary. I've not had any issues, and even for out of home access, it was able to reach into my dd-wrt based router and make it's required changes.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,540 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

And likely a good percentage of those that might know it exists thinks a Genie is required.

#29 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

The biggest thing it MAY do is help create word of mouth referral/envy for friends/family to buy one. In that sense it would be good for the brand since it isn't marketed well and few know about it

While I enjoy my GenieGo, I still don't think it is ready for "prime time". Too many glitches and idiosyncrasies make it a product that could cause more problems than "envy".

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

While I enjoy my GenieGo, I still don't think it is ready for "prime time". Too many glitches and idiosyncrasies make it a product that could cause more problems than "envy".

Yep

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

Slow transcoding is in the eye of the beholder. I've been transcoding like crazy lately getting my wife ready for a trip. Did it take a long time to transcode? Don't really know as I just let it work overnight

Ditto. I've used both devices, and since I normally transcode in the background and overnight, the end result "feels" the same, because there are always a bunch of shows transcoded and ready to watch with either unit. Where the GG2 transcoding speed would be an advantage is if you're on the way out the door, and you forgot to pre-transcode something you really wanted for this trip.

/steve

#32 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,398 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

I'd have to agree.  From all reading about what it does and doesn't do, it just seems half-baked.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#33 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'd have to agree.  From all reading about what it does and doesn't do, it just seems half-baked.

:scratchin. I'm curious, what doesn't it do that you need? 99% of my shows transcoded without an issue. One show in a hundred might have failed to convert, because it contained recording glitches

If your expectation is to take some shows with you on the road to view on your phone or tablet, or stream while OOH with a good wifi connection, the device works as expected, IMO.

If your expectation is to use it as an archiving device, yes, you'll be disappointed. Just my .02.

/steve

#34 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,398 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

As you can see from my sig, I'm a dual-sub.  With Dish and the Hopper w/Sling I can transcode and transfer to the iPad (and I think at least some Android) in HD.  And then I can also mirror that to the big screen via the AppleTV.  I do that all the time when I take a trip to my mom's house.

The GenieGo is a very limited box that does one thing and that is allow for SD on small devices.  Maybe to a big screen too, though I haven't actually looked nor do I care if it is just doing SD.  And it costs me additional money for that limited use.

Lloyd

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

As you can see from my sig, I'm a dual-sub.  With Dish and the Hopper w/Sling I can transcode and transfer to the iPad (and I think at least some Android) in HD.  And then I can also mirror that to the big screen via the AppleTV.  I do that all the time when I take a trip to my mom's house.

That's comparing apples to oranges, IMO. For DIRECTV customers, I'm just saying that in my experience, GG works as advertised for smartphones and tablets.

/steve

#36 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,398 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

That's comparing apples to oranges, IMO. For DIRECTV customers, I'm just saying that in my experience, GG works as advertised for smartphones and tablets.

Yes it does just what it advertises, but IMO what it does isn't worth the money they want for it.  If all you want is to watch on tiny screens and don't mind ponying up the money to do it in SD, then I for one wouldn't object.  Until you try to sell it to me!!  :)

Of methods to get things off of a DVR, the GenieGo is the most limiting of any I've read about.

Lloyd

#37 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

get more money by loosing money?  you know as well as I do that 99% of the DirecTV customer base does not know the difference between GG1 and GG2. so to give away 500 units to sell 5, hopefully you dont' run your business this way

Not that it will hurt their business, but I'm not buying one until I know I'm getting a V2 (hopefully for free).

Steve
HR24-500 + AM-21 -> Samsung 52" LCD
HR24-100 -> Samsung 55" LED
H25-100 -> Samsung 40" LED
MRV DECA-BB
SWMLine

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

Not that it will hurt their business, but I'm not buying one until I know I'm getting a V2 (hopefully for free).

be ready for what may be a long wait, specially since you want it at no cost, since then you only source is DirecTV and since not many folks are buy them and reporting what they get

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

I often watch via GG and the iPad (4) when I don't want to crank up the big TVs and find no discernable difference in PQ from HBO/Go or Netflix on the iPad.  I've got some Bill Mahr screenshots via GG or HBO/Go and other than the time status at the top, you can't tell which they come from.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#40 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,398 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

On the small tablet/phone screen, SD vs HD isn't a big issue imo.  I don't watch videos on them.

Lloyd

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...