Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where can I find a GenieGO 2 (MDR2)?

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I spent more time than I wanted to in doctors and hospital waiting rooms earlier this year, and it was great to be able to stream randomly chosen shows from my playlist to my iPhone 5 while out of home. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth playback was, and the PQ on that sized screen was indistinguishable from HD. At the time, I had up to 5mbps upload capability from home.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

I agree Steve, being away from home, the last thing I'd worry about is PQ.  While I want it to be as good as in-home streaming, I've had Watch ESPN go to audio only many times more than it should in home on the iPad.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#43 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

About a week and half or so ago, I placed an order with SolidSignal for GG2.  It was confirmed, I had an order number and an expected ship date.

Around the second business day following the placement of the order, I received an email indicating that the GG2 was backordered and that shipment would be delayed.  Then, one or two days later, another email, but this time informing me that although DirecTV had promised them shipments of the device, they (DIrecTV) are now targeting end of summer--if at all.

Well, I certainly believe that it will be released; it is just a matter of when. Anyway, I was refunded for the order and will wait for a confirmed release before placing the next order.  If you're interested in the GG2, patience is key at the moment.

Edited by nuspieds, 09 May 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

It can get a bit tricky trying to order a new product, I know I had issues getting a Genie shipped when SS first got them.

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

The GG2 is certainly here, DirecTV just needs to get rid of old inventory and the way it looks like, it will take a some time before that inventory is depleted 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#46 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

I'm also looking for one - I tried to buy one off of eBay - seller identified the model # as MDR2 and said it would be that model, but when I purchased he said he could not get any anymore (not until stock of the original Genie GO are depleted like others have stated). :(

Guess I'll have to keep waiting for now.  I know there is not much difference between the new one and the original Genie Go - but I'd rather wait for the new one.

Edited by LiQiCE, 12 May 2014 - 05:41 PM.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#47 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

If you all guys keep waiting you will never be able to buy it.... !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#48 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTybee Island, GA

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Just tried to order from SS. The said not available. Oh Well.

Subscriber since Feb 2002
HR22-100, H23-600, HR44-500, c41-700, C41-700, C41-700 
Network using DECA.

#49 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Someone has to buy the old ones in order for the new ones become available.... I have the feeling this is going to drag for awhile 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#50 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

By the time the Genie Go 2 is for sale - DBSTalk will have a First Look for Genie Go 3 and we'll all keep waiting :)

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#51 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:13 AM

maybe if they marketed better they wouldn't have this problem with a bunch of unsold GG1, that and it gets a bad rap about constant issues to some.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#52 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

Solid Signal's Deal of the Day is GG for $90.  If you travel a lot or need a tablet screen from your DVR programs somewhere around your house, it's a good deal.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#53 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

maybe if they marketed better they wouldn't have this problem with a bunch of unsold GG1, that and it gets a bad rap about constant issues to some.

maybe someone who wants a GG2 should call up DTV and offer to work for commission (GG2) to help sell some of the remaining GG1s

The delivery guy asked me about mine when he delivered it as he had just recently got the Genie installed and wanted to know what it was since it was a lot smaller than the HR box. You would think they would be trying to inform everyone who orders a Genie about it.

#54 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,369 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Why everyone with a Genie? Works fine on the whole HR2X series.

#55 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yep, the name is misleading but I can see why DirecTV went that way

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#56 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Its just an addon item that they should mention anytime a Genie is sold, they should also do the same thing with any HR sale, but they don't seem to be even doing it with the Genie

#57 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,369 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

No they shouldn't. It still has too many glitches.

You have to reset way too frequently (even more than I do Windows OS), change your password on your DirecTV online account and then you have to uninstall/reinstall in order to change the password on the Genie, twice I've been out of town (the reason I bought the nomad because of my work travel) and DirecTV did an update which required a restart and re-verify the account which you can't do when you're away from home. My Apple router is not one that was auto-configured for OOH last year. I followed the instructions on their site. Still did work. They are missing a step in their instructions and as of last month, the mistake is still there.

I think that if a non-techie household got a GenieGo, it would do more harm to DirecTV's reputation than good. 

#58 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

It is still not a great device (the GG2). But it is faster. 30 min show downloaded on my PC in 13 minutes.

#59 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

I have not had any issues with my GenieGo in a long, long time.  At least not any issues that caused me not to be able to use it for preparing, downloading or streaming in or out of home.  The only issue I've had recently was that all of the shows I had prepared went through a "re-preparing" process.  But that didn't affect my functionality at all.

My point is, it seems like the GG is like a lot of DirecTV tech:  it runs great with very few issues for the vast majority of users, but a minority of users have issue after issue after issue.  Sure, I had some issues a year or so ago when I first got the GG.  I had to do 30 second reboots, 2 minute reboots, reboot all receivers, etc.  But since about 9 months ago, I have hardly thought about my GG other than to add a 32gb usb drive to it. 

I'd be interested in a GG2 simply for the faster transcode time.  Hopefully the programmers can figure out a way to offer that on the GG1 so I don't have to spend the extra $$. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#60 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,369 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

I have not had any issues with my GenieGo in a long, long time.  At least not any issues that caused me not to be able to use it for preparing, downloading or streaming in or out of home.  The only issue I've had recently was that all of the shows I had prepared went through a "re-preparing" process.  But that didn't affect my functionality at all.

My point is, it seems like the GG is like a lot of DirecTV tech:  it runs great with very few issues for the vast majority of users, but a minority of users have issue after issue after issue.  Sure, I had some issues a year or so ago when I first got the GG.  I had to do 30 second reboots, 2 minute reboots, reboot all receivers, etc.  But since about 9 months ago, I have hardly thought about my GG other than to add a 32gb usb drive to it. 

I'd be interested in a GG2 simply for the faster transcode time.  Hopefully the programmers can figure out a way to offer that on the GG1 so I don't have to spend the extra $$.

I like my GG, but at the $150 I paid, it wasn't the best deal. You obviously weren't traveling back in late - Feb when it installed an update that stop the software from working until I got home. 4-5 hours of shows on the GG that I couldn't watch until I returned home.

And for the GG only, my NHL CI package is considered PPV.

My in law's couldn't maintain a GG and my wife, with a MA in education couldn't either.

It still isn't ready for "prime time."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...