Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where can I find a GenieGO 2 (MDR2)?

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

My point is, it seems like the GG is like a lot of DirecTV tech:  it runs great with very few issues for the vast majority of users, but a minority of users have issue after issue after issue.  Sure, I had some issues a year or so ago when I first got the GG.  I had to do 30 second reboots, 2 minute reboots, reboot all receivers, etc.  But since about 9 months ago, I have hardly thought about my GG other than to add a 32gb usb drive to it. 

doesn't that hold true for every piece of electronic device out there?  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

Whether it's Home Depot, Amazon, or the App Store, most reviews are negative and most people that have positive experiences don't post a review. (including me)

I've had GG from the beginning and it does have it's oddities, but it's been a great addition to our watching via PC, iPads / iPhones, or MacBook.  A reboot or reset here and there is the least of my worries.

But you have to remember most people didn't set the clock on their VCR - or program a recording!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#63 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Over a year ago, it was definitely a rough start for me with the GG:  My single, most nagging and chronic issue was the endless "Waiting to prepare..." message.  Oh, how I struggled!

A couple of resets and Network Services restarts later, me and my GG were humming along.  For a while, when my GG couldn't connect to one of my HD-DVRs, restarting Network Services always did the trick.  After the device was running fine, I experienced a major issue several times:  While in-transit, the GG client would all-of-a-sudden lose my account details and because I wasn't internet-connected (e.g., I'd be on a flight), it would invalidate and delete all my content!!! :flaiming

I run my GG client on a Windows tablet and the problem always seemed to occur when I'd put Windows to sleep, so from all indications it seemed like a GG software bug when it came out of a Sleep.  A couple of times it happened outside of Sleep, so then I wasn't really sure what was causing the issue.  Anyway, the problem became so persistent that I eventually bought a backup drive and prior to my commutes, I'd copy all the downloaded content to the USB drive,  Sure enough, when the problem occurred, I'd just re-copy all the content--but only once I arrived at my destination, where I had Internet connection in order to validate my account.

It has been forever since that problem re-appeared, but I can't do without my content while I'm away, so I still take backups on the USB drive.   So, for me, it has been smooth sailing for a very, very long time.

#64 OFFLINE   RoundRockJohn

RoundRockJohn

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

I've read quite about this device, and understand it's limitations, but I won't buy a piece of tech that's outdated when I know a better version is available.

If anyone knows where a second generation can be backordered, I'd do that just make sure I got the latest thing.

This signature intentionally left blank.

#65 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 322 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

:rotfl: 

doesn't that hold true for every piece of electronic device out there?  

So I guess every piece of electronic equipment is "not ready for primetime"  :rotfl:

I'm with dennis.  I love my GG and have had very few issues with it.  I has enhanced my viewing habits and ability and has saved me some money by being able to load kids shows on our iPad for travelling with a 3 year old. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#66 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

So I guess every piece of electronic equipment is "not ready for primetime" :rotfl:

well, if you take my comments out of context. That holds true for every electronic device out there. Or why do you think there is customer support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#67 OFFLINE   Lenard

Lenard

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Ordered from Solid Signal GG1. Opened the box and it was a GG2. Invoice listed MDR1 not MDR2

#68 OFFLINE   Kash76

Kash76

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Ordered from Solid Signal GG1. Opened the box and it was a GG2. Invoice listed MDR1 not MDR2

did you order when the sale was on?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Tapatalk

Kash76
--
HR44-500 --> Panasonic Plasma 50" via HDMI

C41-700 --> Panasonic Plasma 42" via HDMI

H25 --> HDMI split to Vizio 24" 720p & Vizio 24" 1080p 

#69 OFFLINE   Lenard

Lenard

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

did you order when the sale was on?

No I did not. Ordered on May 26.

Edited by Lenard, 30 May 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#70 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Do you need whole home dvr to use the GG1? I have the GG1 and whole home, but I was thinking of picking up the GG2 for the speed bump and passing off the GG1 to a family member without one.

I've been using it a lot.  One feature I wish they would implement is being able to change the order of what gets encoded and transferred first.  I click from oldest first, but I usually end up with a bunch of the newer episodes and the older ones nowhere to be found on my tablet.  So, I usually click three episodes at a time when I am about to travel and check on it, and load the others up.

Also, it would be nice to load the shows on my SD expansion card.  I have limited room onboard my tablet, but I can have up to a 128GB SD card full of shows.  Not to mention HD quality.  TV out by the way works great on my tablet.  The quality is not the best, but it is viewable, even my baseball games.  Streaming is hit or miss at hotels, usually miss.    

#71 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

WHDVR not required. On Android Devices you can use external cards

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#72 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

WHDVR not required. On Android Devices you can use external cards

Yeah, it does work.  The custom storage folder defaulted to /storage/sdcard0 or Sdcard1.  sdcard0 was the onboard and I couldn't create a directory in sdcard1 (which is what I thought the external sdcard was. Looks like you need to go to /removable/microsd for the sdcard.  Very misleading.

Edited by VABlitz, 04 June 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   steve0617

steve0617

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Solid Signal's Deal of the Day (06/05/2014) is the GenieGo for $90. Have no idea if it's old MDR1s being blown out (it's listed as the MDR1) or if you'd get the MDR2 as Lenard said he did.

#74 OFFLINE   Kash76

Kash76

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

I called DTV last weekend and they sent me a first generation unit. The price was right so I am happy.

Kash76
--
HR44-500 --> Panasonic Plasma 50" via HDMI

C41-700 --> Panasonic Plasma 42" via HDMI

H25 --> HDMI split to Vizio 24" 720p & Vizio 24" 1080p 

#75 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

Seriously, at any reduced price, the GG1 is worth it.   It just takes a bit more planning if you're transcoding a lot.

Once you get use to it you won't know the difference.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#76 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Any updates on this? Is DirecTV shipping GG2s, or are they still clearing GG1 inventory?

Steve
HR24-500 + AM-21 -> Samsung 52" LCD
HR24-100 -> Samsung 55" LED
H25-100 -> Samsung 40" LED
MRV DECA-BB
SWMLine

#77 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

Rumor has it that DirecTV is shipping out GenieGo 2 now
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#78 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Solid signal said they had a limited number last week.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#79 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

I purchased a GG1 from Solid Signal a little over a month ago and have a rather unique whole home infrastructure leveraging DECA in some parts of the home and switched Ethernet in others 7 DVRs (a Genie may be involved) ;)

My home is unique in that it is the result of several buildings being linked together into a long and tall structure. I had it hardwired for switched Ethernet when I moved in. For its size however and using wireless, I have wireless access points in 3 locations in addition to the wireless on the router itself. I wanted badly to just use the iPaid App for in home streaming and it worked but had some issues with locking up (a 30 second rewind usually fixed). I tried the GG App for iPhone on an iPod Touch, an iPaid Mini and that was flawless (on Windows 8.1 as well).

Recently (like last week) the iPaid App was upgraded and in home streaming is FLAWLESS on the iPaid App.

From day one though the transcoding functionality, download to my authorized devices, and remote consumption have been flawless (via iPaid App or GG for iPhone App). I see no reason to "need" the GG2 in my use cases. I get the newer tech desire but from any view of the product other than sheer transcoding speed they are interchangeable.

As long as you have a Cinema Connection Kit, just connect it up to an open port off your router (or on your home switched Ethernet fabric if you have one) wait for the lights to turn blue and it is done! GG2 does offer the ability to leverage DECA directly to include the GG but that is its only functional difference.

Don "Great addition to your DirecTV experience!" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#80 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

As long as you have a Cinema Connection Kit, just connect it up to an open port off your router (or on your home switched Ethernet fabric if you have one) wait for the lights to turn blue and it is done! GG2 does offer the ability to leverage DECA directly to include the GG but that is its only functional difference.

Don "Great addition to your DirecTV experience!" Bolton

My router ports are currently maxed out and the ability to connect via DECA is exactly why I want a GG2. It also gives me the flexibility to put the GG2 anywhere I have a receiver if in the future I need to relocate it.

I guess I'll roll the dice and order one from DTV and keep my fingers crossed that they send a GG2!

Edited by stevenme, 12 August 2014 - 09:15 AM.

Steve
HR24-500 + AM-21 -> Samsung 52" LCD
HR24-100 -> Samsung 55" LED
H25-100 -> Samsung 40" LED
MRV DECA-BB
SWMLine

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...