Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where can I find a GenieGO 2 (MDR2)?

GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Any updates on this? Is DirecTV shipping GG2s, or are they still clearing GG1 inventory?

Steve
HR44 + AM21 -> Samsung 52" LCD

HR24 + AM-21 -> Samsung 55" LED
HR24 -> Samsung 32" LCD
C41 -> Samsung 40" LED
GG2 + 64GB USB

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,848 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

Rumor has it that DirecTV is shipping out GenieGo 2 now
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#78 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,239 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Solid signal said they had a limited number last week.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#79 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,965 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

I purchased a GG1 from Solid Signal a little over a month ago and have a rather unique whole home infrastructure leveraging DECA in some parts of the home and switched Ethernet in others 7 DVRs (a Genie may be involved) ;)

My home is unique in that it is the result of several buildings being linked together into a long and tall structure. I had it hardwired for switched Ethernet when I moved in. For its size however and using wireless, I have wireless access points in 3 locations in addition to the wireless on the router itself. I wanted badly to just use the iPaid App for in home streaming and it worked but had some issues with locking up (a 30 second rewind usually fixed). I tried the GG App for iPhone on an iPod Touch, an iPaid Mini and that was flawless (on Windows 8.1 as well).

Recently (like last week) the iPaid App was upgraded and in home streaming is FLAWLESS on the iPaid App.

From day one though the transcoding functionality, download to my authorized devices, and remote consumption have been flawless (via iPaid App or GG for iPhone App). I see no reason to "need" the GG2 in my use cases. I get the newer tech desire but from any view of the product other than sheer transcoding speed they are interchangeable.

As long as you have a Cinema Connection Kit, just connect it up to an open port off your router (or on your home switched Ethernet fabric if you have one) wait for the lights to turn blue and it is done! GG2 does offer the ability to leverage DECA directly to include the GG but that is its only functional difference.

Don "Great addition to your DirecTV experience!" Bolton

Go fast, turn left, repeat until done.

#80 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

As long as you have a Cinema Connection Kit, just connect it up to an open port off your router (or on your home switched Ethernet fabric if you have one) wait for the lights to turn blue and it is done! GG2 does offer the ability to leverage DECA directly to include the GG but that is its only functional difference.

Don "Great addition to your DirecTV experience!" Bolton

My router ports are currently maxed out and the ability to connect via DECA is exactly why I want a GG2. It also gives me the flexibility to put the GG2 anywhere I have a receiver if in the future I need to relocate it.

I guess I'll roll the dice and order one from DTV and keep my fingers crossed that they send a GG2!

Edited by stevenme, 12 August 2014 - 09:15 AM.

Steve

HR24 -> Samsung 32" LCD
C41 -> Samsung 40" LED
GG2 + 64GB USB

#81 OFFLINE   steve0617

steve0617

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

My router ports are currently maxed out and the ability to connect via DECA is exactly why I want a GG2. It also gives me the flexibility to put the GG2 anywhere I have a receiver if in the future I need to relocate it.

I guess I'll roll the dice and order one from DTV and keep my fingers crossed that they send a GG2!

Solid Signal has the 2s. I ordered one last night. Note that there are different item numbers/listings for the 1 and the 2.

http://www.solidsign...IEGO2&ss=253660

Edited by steve0617, 12 August 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#82 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,965 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Good hunting!

A switch off the router could solve things too but I hear ya.

In my case my GG is at the convergance of my 2 network fabrics and so is at the shortest distance from any of my DVRs that it can be in my set up.

Don "may the hunt bear good results" Bolton

Go fast, turn left, repeat until done.

#83 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,848 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

My router ports are currently maxed out 

That can be easily fix with an ethernet switch

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#84 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Solid Signal has the 2s. I ordered one last night. Note that there are different item numbers/listings for the 1 and the 2.

Cool, just ordered one.

#85 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

My GG2 from SolidSignal arrived today. Will be hooking it up tonight,

Steve

My Setup

#86 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

All connected - works just fine so far. It runs quite warm, I notice.

Steve

My Setup

#87 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

How does one upgrade from the GG1 to the GG2?  Do you have to call DirecTV to activate it or can I just swap the hardware and I'll be good to go?

I think I'm going to do the install with coax instead of ethernet.  It will allow me to get the GenieGo out of my entertainment center and hide it behind my couch where the coax comes into my house.  At least I think I'll be able to install it this way.

#88 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

You would probably have to call DirecTV and deactivate the GG1 first. Yes, you can install with coax only - I did.

Steve

My Setup

#89 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Icon

• Registered
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

How does one upgrade from the GG1 to the GG2?  Do you have to call DirecTV to activate it or can I just swap the hardware and I'll be good to go?

I think I'm going to do the install with coax instead of ethernet.  It will allow me to get the GenieGo out of my entertainment center and hide it behind my couch where the coax comes into my house.  At least I think I'll be able to install it this way.

You could face some issues getting to the right department, but once you do, they know how to fix it. You can only have 1 active on your account and there is some stuff behind the scenes that has to get done before you can activate the new one. You can search here and I believe there are some posts about who they ended up talking to.

#90 OFFLINE   steve0617

steve0617

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Well, this sucks. Back ordered even though their website said it was in stock. Claims 5-7 business day delay.

EDIT: Website still shows in stock (or at least not back ordered).

Edited by steve0617, 13 August 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#91 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Well, this sucks. Back ordered even though their website said it was in stock. Claims 5-7 business day delay.

EDIT: Website still shows in stock (or at least not back ordered).

I tried to order one through DirecTV, but of course I received a V1. Made several attempts to get a V2 from them but finally gave up. I'm returning it to them and ordering through SS. The web site showed them in stock and let me order one, but from others it sounds like I'll be getting a backordered email soon. I have to say it's been a while since I've had such a hard time trying to give someone my money!

Steve

HR24 -> Samsung 32" LCD
C41 -> Samsung 40" LED
GG2 + 64GB USB

#92 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

We are currently in stock on GenieGO2 for same day shipping. It's still a little touch and go getting the generation 2's but we're committed to keeping them in stock for our loyal DBSTalk customers!

#93 OFFLINE   stevenme

stevenme

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

We are currently in stock on GenieGO2 for same day shipping. It's still a little touch and go getting the generation 2's but we're committed to keeping them in stock for our loyal DBSTalk customers!

I feel like I've hit the lottery, status from SolidSignal says GG2 has shipped! YeeHaa!

Steve

HR24 -> Samsung 32" LCD
C41 -> Samsung 40" LED
GG2 + 64GB USB

#94 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,648 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

That is great news. It is a very good product.

#95 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

I feel like I've hit the lottery, status from SolidSignal says GG2 has shipped! YeeHaa!

Mine is to be delivered Tuesday. :)

#96 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

You could face some issues getting to the right department, but once you do, they know how to fix it. You can only have 1 active on your account and there is some stuff behind the scenes that has to get done before you can activate the new one. You can search here and I believe there are some posts about who they ended up talking to.

Just had a 40 minutes call to DirecTV.  Third person they had me talk to was in the GenieGo area.  I had to give her my GG1's serial number.  She then emailed someone to deactivate it.  She said she'd call me back in 24 hours, assuming the GG1 is deactivated.  Once it is deactivated, she can then setup the GG2.

So yeah, they don't have going from a GG1 to a GG2 all that smooth.

#97 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Hoffer, on 19 Aug 2014 - 4:50 PM, said:

Just had a 40 minutes call to DirecTV.  Third person they had me talk to was in the GenieGo area.  I had to give her my GG1's serial number.  She then emailed someone to deactivate it.  She said she'd call me back in 24 hours, assuming the GG1 is deactivated.  Once it is deactivated, she can then setup the GG2.

So yeah, they don't have going from a GG1 to a GG2 all that smooth.

No, not smooth at all.

In my case, after I disconnected the GG1 and connected the GG2, two reps on two separate calls told me that there was no type of deactivation/activation necessary; that I all I needed to do was just plug in the new GG2.

Needless to say, that obviously wasn't true and by the third call I was transferred to the GG team and the rep asked me for both serial numbers and he also had to email his colleague in order to deactivate the GG1.  I told him that it was not very efficient and he agreed; his response was, "I don't know why they just don't give us access to do this!" :)

We were on the phone for about 1/2 hour and still no email response, so he said that he would call me back once he got it.  Around 20 minutes later, he called me back and then we were able to complete the GG2 setup.

#98 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Got my GG1 deactivated and my GG2 working.  I got Out of Home Access to be confirmed working when I was at home.  I'm now on an away from home WiFi network and get an "Unable to Stream" message.  Says my HD DVR is currently busy and can not support streaming.

Anyone know what this is about??

#99 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,848 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Got my GG1 deactivated and my GG2 working.  I got Out of Home Access to be confirmed working when I was at home.  I'm now on an away from home WiFi network and get an "Unable to Stream" message.  Says my HD DVR is currently busy and can not support streaming.

Anyone know what this is about??

Is someone at home using the HDDVR?  

What model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#100 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Is someone at home using the HDDVR?  

What model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

I live alone.  So, I sure hope nobody is using it.  I have an HR44 DVR if that is what you're asking.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GenieGO

Protected By... spam firewall...And...