Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC Cancels 'Revolution,' 'Believe,' 'Crisis' and 'Growing Up Fisher'

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

I don't watch much on NBC either, except Grimm. Though I likely will try out Crossbones to see John Malkovich as Blackbeard.

I have hopes for Crossbones, too.  I do enjoy Malkovich's movies.  I hope he was careful when he decided to do this series.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Being a sci-fi nut you would figure I would miss these, but I won't.

My feelings, too.  Be nice to see some good Sci-Fi shows.  

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

So that's 2 shows (Crisis, Growing up Fisher) to delete all episodes for without watching a single episode...  1 show (Revolution) that I was watching for 2 years and I'm bummed that I invested my time and another that sounded like crap from the get-go (Believe) so I didn't even bother to record.

Looks like we're about to see "Marvel vs DC"...

I really tried to like Revolution.  Just couldn't stay interested in it.  We did watch the first season, but gave up on it during the second season.  Writing seemed chaotic.  Didn't really like the cast, either.

Rich 

#24 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Revolution did kind of lose it's way but I still found that it was one of the few shows I watched that I was caught up on. I have a number of shows that are stacked pretty high for when I have nothing better to do.

I will miss Revolution, but having seen pretty much all apocalyptic shows like this fade quickly it's not surprising. I'm sure there will be some other show that will fill the void.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Growing Up Fisher I will miss, as this mild comedy was pretty good.

while I was watching all of those series, the one I am really upset is Growing up Fisher, really like that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#26 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

I don't think a PG rated apocalypse is ever going to be believable. That is why Walking Dead does so well on AMC.

When the big 4 networks try it, it always comes out Disney like.

having seen pretty much all apocalyptic shows like this fade quickly it's not surprising. I'm sure there will be some other show that will fill the void.

• Rich likes this

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

I don't think a PG rated apocalypse is ever going to be believable. That is why Walking Dead does so well on AMC.

When the big 4 networks try it, it always comes out Disney like.

Agreed!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

Revolution did kind of lose it's way but I still found that it was one of the few shows I watched that I was caught up on. I have a number of shows that are stacked pretty high for when I have nothing better to do.

I will miss Revolution, but having seen pretty much all apocalyptic shows like this fade quickly it's not surprising. I'm sure there will be some other show that will fill the void.

My series managers shows 2 more episodes scheduled to record.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#29 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

I really liked Crisis, although I am totally tired of the CIA always being the fall guy for every bad thing that happens.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

So you enjoy wasting your time on a show you know has been cancelled and has no "ending"?  Ok...

It depends on the show. Some shows don't have an ending. They may work up a goodbye episode, but they are not long arc epic stories - they are a series of short stories. They can be fun to watch even if they are going away. (And who knows, they could be revived in a future season or by another network.)

That's like starting a relationship with a woman you know is leaving town forever next week.  Total waste of time when you could be dating someone that isn't leaving town for good.

Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Perhaps a relationship with you is just what that woman wanted ... and she will cancel her plans to leave town if only someone, anyone, possibly you, would give her a reason. You never know until you try. But I suppose it is your story ... so your rebuttal will be to add more fiction to the hypothetical - reasons she can't stay. But following your policy of not paying attention to stories that won't last we must ignore your story of a woman leaving town forever, as we know your story will die when this thread fades into the ether.

Shows are kept based on viewership. Your refusal to watch shows on the fear that they will be canceled reduces viewership. Perhaps you should be giving a big thank you to those who take the risk - who watch the shows while they are in their premier seasons - who make the shows popular enough to have them renewed. Without those viewers you wouldn't have shows to binge watch once they are renewed. You should thank those viewers.

Those that took a chance have convinced your potential lover to stay in town. You owe them gratitude, not scorn.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Those that took a chance have convinced your potential lover to stay in town. You owe them gratitude, not scorn.

could not have said it better myself. Right on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

I watch anything that I think I will enjoy, regardless of whether or not it is a possible cancellation candidate.  I love TV!!  Have since I was tiny.  I love watching shows that entertain and move me in one way or another.  That's all I care about.  Being entertained.

Sure I'm disappointed when I a show I got invested in is cancelled, but it's just TV.  It's not my husband or children leaving me.  Or even my best friend.  I'll make new TV show friends the next round.  And continue to be entertained and moved.

• jimmie57 likes this

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

I read a lot of apocalyptic books, seems like they just don't translate to TV very well.  There's The Walking Dead and ...

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

I take each episode as an individual, serialized or not.  If I start watching something in reruns that are out of sequence and get into the story, I'll try to catch up at some point. I don't really care whether they have a formal ending or not.  Case in point, The Pretender (Michael T. Weiss, Andrea Parker) which was dropped by NBC, picked up by TNT, dropped again in a cliffhanger, continued in a couple of movies which both ended with cliffhangers, picked up years later in books and may still end up with another movie.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#35 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

I take each episode as an individual, serialized or not.  If I start watching something in reruns that are out of sequence and get into the story, I'll try to catch up at some point. I don't really care whether they have a formal ending or not.  Case in point, The Pretender (Michael T. Weiss, Andrea Parker) which was dropped by NBC, picked up by TNT, dropped again in a cliffhanger, continued in a couple of movies which both ended with cliffhangers, picked up years later in books and may still end up with another movie.

Really?  That was one of my most favorite shows ever!  I didn't know a movie might still come about.  I also didn't know there were any books on it either.

My Setup

#36 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

Really?  That was one of my most favorite shows ever!  I didn't know a movie might still come about.  I also didn't know there were any books on it either.

http://en.wikipedia....ies)#Production

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#37 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Thank you!  I remember well the crossover episodes with Profiler.  That was another of my favorite shows of all time.  So combining them - I was in heaven!

My Setup

#38 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

Thank you!  I remember well the crossover episodes with Profiler.  That was another of my favorite shows of all time.  So combining them - I was in heaven!

Just think. Right now you can watch all 86 episodes of "The Pretender" on HULU for free and "Profiler" is on YouTube but with Dutch subtitles.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#39 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

It depends on the show. Some shows don't have an ending. They may work up a goodbye episode, but they are not long arc epic stories - they are a series of short stories. They can be fun to watch even if they are going away. (And who knows, they could be revived in a future season or by another network.)

Well I'm not going to invest my time to find out if they are a series of short stories or a long arc of epic stories (which most are that look good to me) until the show has proven it has staying power.  

Time is money and I'm not wasting my time on something that can't stick around.

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#40 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

I take each episode as an individual, serialized or not.

Cool, then watch LOST out of order by episode and season and then only watch 15 episodes.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...