Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC Cancels 'Revolution,' 'Believe,' 'Crisis' and 'Growing Up Fisher'

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,323 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:54 AM

I think comedies are much easier to just watch and not worry about when they get canceled.

As for series it really just depends IMHO. A procedural like csi is usually pretty easy to catch a few and miss a few and be fine. But then there's ones like the following or lost that really need to be watched in order to fully enjoy them.

I think networks should limit new show's the first year to twelve or so and make sure it's got a good beginning and middle and end and even if it does bad just put them on demand so people will always know they will get a full story arch. And if it does well enough then bring it back for twenty plus episodes next season.

Heck that's pretty much what cable channels do and it's working good for then.
  • Rich likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

The numbers needed for a cable channel show to be classed as good enough to keep are much lower than the ones the broadcast networks find acceptable for the most part.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

The numbers needed for a cable channel show to be classed as good enough to keep are much lower than the ones the broadcast networks find acceptable for the most part.

You're right and it's time for the networks to get that paradigm out of their minds.  The ~ 13 episode yearly series is much better than trying desperately to come up with ~ 23 good episodes (which doesn't seem possible) for a yearly series.  

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,323 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

True. But for those who like a show it would be good faith to not cut a series off halfway in and never let them have any conclusion. It's causes a situation like Runner where he waits to see if the show is canceled before watching then they lose viewership.

#45 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

Cool, then watch LOST out of order by episode and season and then only watch 15 episodes.

That is the reason I stopped watching Lost. You had to watch all and in order to get anything out of it. I stopped partway into the first season. There are enough shows where each episode can stand on its own merits to waste time with junk like LOST.

• Rich likes this
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

That is the reason I stopped watching Lost. You had to watch all and in order to get anything out of it. I stopped partway into the first season. There are enough shows where each episode can stand on its own merits to waste time with junk like LOST.

There were times in my life I couldn't watch every episode every week, particularly before the convenience of DVR's. So I understand how you feel.

On the other hand, even in a show where most of the time the episode story is complete, like "NCIS," there are continuous and season story arcs that provide some interesting, albeit mostly emotional character oriented, content. You get hints about what's going on at that level but some episodes are significant with regard to those stories.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#47 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

LOST wasn't "junk".  Second, why would you even consider watching any show out of order?

• sigma1914 likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#48 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

why would you even consider watching any show out of order?

For most shows, 'order' of production doesn't matter.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#49 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

More like "for few shows".

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#50 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

LOST wasn't "junk".  Second, why would you even consider watching any show out of order?

Junk is a subjective term, I understand that You liked it. I do not have enough time or inclination to watch something that Must be watched in order. If the Description is not interesting I skip that episode and watch something that sounds more interesting. I stopped watching Under the Dome last summer for the same reason.

The shows I do watch it does not seem to matter that much what order they are watched in. I understand why they write shows like Lost and Under the Dome, They think they have a captive audience that will tune in week after week reliably.

TBoneit

#51 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,323 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'd suggest yes and no. Take friends. One of the best comedies ever in terms if how try approached the writing. And there have been others in the past as well that are similar. Mash and cheers or example. If you watch it out of order they have funny episodes and any one can usually stand on its own quite easily.

However watch them in order and many jokes get even better and story lines have even more meaning because of past influences from episodes already seen.

That's the best approach for most shows
IMHO because then you can Handel missing episodes and not worrying about being so lost you don't bother coming back.

I like full seasons story arches to like the following and 24. But those are much easier with DVRs to be sure.
  • Rich likes this

#52 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

I'd suggest yes and no. Take friends. One of the best comedies ever in terms if how try approached the writing. And there have been others in the past as well that are similar. Mash and cheers or example. If you watch it out of order they have funny episodes and any one can usually stand on its own quite easily.

However watch them in order and many jokes get even better and story lines have even more meaning because of past influences from episodes already seen.

That can be said for almost any show, comedy or drama going back to Bewitched, Gilligan, Dragnet, Rawhide, Gunsmoke and many others all the way up to 2 Broke Girls, The Middle and L&O.  But the simple fact remains, each episode can be watched individually as a self-contained story.  There is no reason to refuse to watch an episode of The Neighbors simply because it's been cancelled any more than there is to refuse to watch Third Rock From The Sun.

If you don't like sitcoms or space sitcoms, that's fine.  You can refuse to watch on that basis.  But to simply say flat out, that you have to erase all unwatched episodes you have on a DVR for no other reason than that the show was cancelled before you started to watch any of them is silly.

I still find long cancelled shows I'd never heard of on DVD.  Should I refuse to buy those DVDs simply because the show was cancelled with or without a 'formal' ending?

In fact, I find a lot of the 'last episodes' or last few episodes to be far less interesting than the first ones.  There are a few shows where I won't watch the last season because to whole format and story line changed into a 'wrap-up' concept and isn't anywhere near as funny or entertaining.

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

That can be said for almost any show, comedy or drama going back to Bewitched, Gilligan, Dragnet, Rawhide, Gunsmoke and many others all the way up to 2 Broke Girls, The Middle and L&O.  But the simple fact remains, each episode can be watched individually as a self-contained story.  There is no reason to refuse to watch an episode of The Neighbors simply because it's been cancelled any more than there is to refuse to watch Third Rock From The Sun.

If you don't like sitcoms or space sitcoms, that's fine.  You can refuse to watch on that basis.  But to simply say flat out, that you have to erase all unwatched episodes you have on a DVR for no other reason than that the show was cancelled before you started to watch any of them is silly.

I still find long cancelled shows I'd never heard of on DVD.  Should I refuse to buy those DVDs simply because the show was cancelled with or without a 'formal' ending?

In fact, I find a lot of the 'last episodes' or last few episodes to be far less interesting than the first ones.  There are a few shows where I won't watch the last season because to whole format and story line changed into a 'wrap-up' concept and isn't anywhere near as funny or entertaining.

Apparently you have time to kill.  Enjoy your shows that will leave you hanging and stop chastising those of us who choose to use our time wisely.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

Apparently you have time to kill.  Enjoy your shows that will leave you hanging and stop chastising those of us who choose to use our time wisely.

It could be argued that we really should say 'waste our time wisely' when it comes to watching TV...  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

It could be argued that we really should say 'waste our time wisely' when it comes to watching TV...   :)

Imagine how boring life would be without TV...wait, I lived without it for the first six years of my life and I can tell you it was boring. Even when it appeared content worth watching was a rarity and life remained boring.  Finally got better in the late 50s, IIRC.  Still nothing to watch in the daytime.  Finally VCRs came along in the early 80s and time-shifting became possible and that leads us to where we are today.  

But, to your point, I don't look at it as a waste of time.  I look at it as entertainment we're lucky to have.  What I really considered a waste of time was working.  

Rich 

• Supramom2000 likes this

#56 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

. What I really considered a waste of time was working.

Rich

now these are words of wisdom. Right on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#57 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Imagine how boring life would be without TV...wait, I lived without it for the first six years of my life and I can tell you it was boring. Even when it appeared content worth watching was a rarity and life remained boring.  Finally got better in the late 50s, IIRC.  Still nothing to watch in the daytime.  Finally VCRs came along in the early 80s and time-shifting became possible and that leads us to where we are today.  

But, to your point, I don't look at it as a waste of time.  I look at it as entertainment we're lucky to have.  What I really considered a waste of time was working.  

Rich 

So much truth there.

I wonder what the Non network channels would do without the syndicated network shows. How many would go broke fairly quickly or become a reality show wasteland?

Who knows, without TV shows I might even go to the Movies, Nah, Not happening. What passes for a hit movie these days does not interest me.

TB

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

So much truth there.

I wonder what the Non network channels would do without the syndicated network shows. How many would go broke fairly quickly or become a reality show wasteland?

Who knows, without TV shows I might even go to the Movies, Nah, Not happening. What passes for a hit movie these days does not interest me.

TB

I gave a lot of thought to going to the movies recently because of Gravity, a movie that disappointed me terribly.  But another member (with whom I usually agree on most things) who saw it on an IMAX screen really liked it and that made me think that perhaps I was missing something.  Then I came to my senses.  Sticky feet, rip-off prices, so many things to dislike about a movie house.  Can't pause the movie for a break. can't replay scenes.  Nah, I'm with you.

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

If it wasn't for cancelled shows, we wouldn't have all the syndicated and classic TV stations.

Cancelled shows give me something to watch.

Funny thing is, the ones Runner is talking about will likely never be syndicated.  They don't have the popularity, so those that wipe them off their DVRs unwatched will probably never get the chance to watch them again on TV.  Sure there would be the DVDs and specialty streaming subscription services, but not the broadcast or cable channels.

#60 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,896 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hmmm ... it seems that you are chastising those who watch first run shows as they air and are insulting those viewers by saying they are not using their time wisely. And yet they are the ones who make the shows popular enough to renew. (And keep them alive long enough that binge watchers have something to watch.)

I'm not going to chastise your viewing habits ... just don't ever complain about spoilers. Those of us who watch TV should not need to protect those who refuse to watch as programs air. The shows may be more enjoyable spoiler free - but that is a privilege given to those who watch as shows air.

And for all the shows popular enough to stay alive ... thanks to the people who watch.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...