Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC Cancels 'Revolution,' 'Believe,' 'Crisis' and 'Growing Up Fisher'

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm not telling anyone how they should watch their series, I'm just telling how I watch series.

Same here, but others in this thread feel the need to chastise us and force us to watch tv how they want us to watch.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,293 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Then Nielsen should do a better job.

Counting any viewing not live is a compromise to Nielsen's statistics. They are providing ratings based on what the program producers and channels want. That is the job they are paid to do ... and they are doing it to the satisfaction of the companies paying for the ratings.

Incorrect. They have no idea when or if I watch a recording. My act of recording is as good as watching.

Technically: If you are not a Nielsen family what you do is irrelevant. The Nielsen families that are part of the actual ratings are counted for what they watch, regardless of your gross misunderstanding of the ratings process. The question Nielsen ratings answer is what was watched.

Same here, but others in this thread feel the need to chastise us and force us to watch tv how they want us to watch.

You are free to watch or not watch however you want. It is a shame you have such a persecution complex. No one is forcing you to watch shows within seven days of air.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#83 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Without them knowing when or if I watch it I don't see how that's possible.

Well a coupes ways. One if you are a Nielsen family then I believe you denote if what you are watching was recorded and when you recorded it not what you recorded.

And more importantly that data directv collects is not just what we recorded but if an when we watched it to. I'm sure TiVo and another DVRs do the same.

There is a reason Nielsen specifically lists out what ratings are for shows now in terms of live, same day, 3 days and 7 days. They seemingly completely ignore anything longer than that in terms of when it was recorded. But more importantly the ratings have always said it was viewed via DVR so many days after it was recorded. I've never seen anyone show numbers simply stating what was recorded.

#84 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:42 AM

Even if they weren't, how many of us have the capability to store whole series? Very few, I'd think. I'd rather watch a series that is complicated all at once, that seems simple. I'm not telling anyone how they should watch their series, I'm just telling how I watch series. And I don't watch them all at once, I've already said that. Right now, I'm watching Black Sails, which I'd rather watch all at once than weekly. Why does what a very few of us do rankle people so much? I've been doing the same thing for a long time, as I've said and suddenly there's a word, Binge, for the way I've been watching shows for years. I like that word and intend to keep on binging.

Rich

There's several shows I'm just waiting to watch. Black sails I will get to. I also haven't watched game of thrones yet either. When I do it will be a binge viewing. It's the best way to follow shows that are built and written more like the good old mini series used I be rather than procedural drama IMHO for me. It's just more enjoyable for me to not have to remember who do what a year ago.
  • Rich likes this

#85 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

There's several shows I'm just waiting to watch. Black sails I will get to. I also haven't watched game of thrones yet either. When I do it will be a binge viewing. It's the best way to follow shows that are built and written more like the good old mini series used I be rather than procedural drama IMHO for me. It's just more enjoyable for me to not have to remember who do what a year ago.

Yeah, I watched Black Sails in a day.  I couldn't stop!  lol   I'm also stocking up Game Of Thrones S3 to binge watch as well. 

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#86 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Just finished Black Sails last night.  Very good, very confusing, some battle scenes are very chaotic, perhaps the most chaotic naval battle scenes I've ever seen (hope nobody considers that comment a spoiler, I'd consider it a good thing to know).  I'll have to watch it again in another couple months to better understand what happened.

I wouldn't even consider watching Game of Thrones by any other method than binging on it.  

Rich

#87 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

Believe and Crisis are airing Memorial Day weekend.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#88 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

I saw the list of cancelled shows and I've never heard of most of them. Of those I have, almost all I've never watched.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#89 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

I wouldn't even consider watching Game of Thrones by any other method than binging on it.  

Rich

I wouldn't even consider watching Game of Thrones

Period

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#90 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,293 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

I wouldn't even consider watching Game of Thrones

Period

I don't watch it ... but many do: "... GoT is averaging 17.8 million viewers per episode. up +24% compared to 14.4 million last season."
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#91 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

I don't watch it ... but many do: ".

People watch the plethora of 'Real (fake) Housewives' and those ridiculous Kardisithings too. 

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#92 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Aside from Raising Hope and Suburgatory, I don't see any great loss. I kinda liked Rake, but didn't have much hope for it lasting.

Rich

Rich

Have you watched he Australian version of Rake? I think the all 3 seasons are available to download from the Audience Network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Rich

Have you watched he Australian version of Rake? I think the all 3 seasons are available to download from the Audience Network.

No, I haven't but I'll try to find it.  I do like Aussie shows.  

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

No, I haven't but I'll try to find it. I do like Aussie shows.

Rich

I really like it. When you see how they portray the character you'll understand that there was no way a network show wouldn't
soften him up.

spam firewall