Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What does this small print mean

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gkamer

gkamer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

I was thinking of upgrading to the Genie HiDef package and noticed this in the small print:

Remote viewing requires a model C31 Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($25/mo.)

So what am I paying $25.00 extra a month for? The receiver or the ability to watch a movie in the bedroom (remotely) from my receiver in the living room or what? It sounds like I'm going to need extra stuff besides just the receiver, but I'm not sure. Right now all I have is a R22-100 receiver in the living room and a D12-100 in the bedroom. Plus 2 remote controllers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,076 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

The advanced receiver fee applies to any HDDVR, not just a Genie.  It is a combination of the HD fee, DVR fee and Whole Home fee.   As for the equipment that statement is a little misleading.  While you do need something in the other room (unless you have an RVU capable TV) it can be any Whole Home capable receiver or DVR.  It is not limited to the C31 or H25.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Since you have a DVR now, if you get a Genie you monthly fee will increase by $13.  that will cover your HD service ($10) and WHDVR service ($3.00).  If you are "lucky" enough to get the one "convenient" fee which covers all services in one fee, it will increase by $15.00

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   gkamer

gkamer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Ok, thanks for the info guys..... appreciate it.

#5 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

The advanced receiver fee applies to any HDDVR, not just a Genie.  It is a combination of the HD fee, DVR fee and Whole Home fee.   As for the equipment that statement is a little misleading.  While you do need something in the other room (unless you have an RVU capable TV) it can be any Whole Home capable receiver or DVR.  It is not limited to the C31 or H25.

It doesn't apply to existing accounts, only new ones. It applies to all Genies, though.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

It doesn't apply to existing accounts, only new ones. It applies to all Genies, though.

and even if new account with one HDDVR, the fees would be bill separately, minus WHDVR fee

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

I have an HR34 and an H25. $25 for the Advanced Receiver, $6 each for the two TVs. $6 credit for 24 months (ends August). So, with no credit, $37.00; with credit $31.00..Throw in $7.99, for the Protection Service. $44.99 ($39.99), before any programming. Also, there is a $10 a month discount rolled in, somehwere, to e-billing. It is nota  separate line item on the bill.

Also, this fees includes the SWIM, tthe dish, the two network devices which run over coax.

Both DirecTV and Dish offer deals, but it would be helpful that they really tell consumers what the non-discount price will eventually be.

So, expect to pay $50.00/month for two TVs with a Genie, eventually. If you go all out, with the Premium Package ($129.99), plus HD pack ($8.99), plus the Protection Plan, it will be just under $200/month total (no discounts).

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

I have an HR34 and an H25. $25 for the Advanced Receiver, $6 each for the two TVs. $6 credit for 24 months (ends August). So, with no credit, $37.00; with credit $31.00..Throw in $7.99, for the Protection Service. $44.99 ($39.99), before any programming. Also, there is a $10 a month discount rolled in, somehwere, to e-billing. It is nota separate line item on the bill.

Also, this fees includes the SWIM, tthe dish, the two network devices which run over coax.

Both DirecTV and Dish offer deals, but it would be helpful that they really tell consumers what the non-discount price will eventually be.

So, expect to pay $50.00/month for two TVs with a Genie, eventually. If you go all out, with the Premium Package ($129.99), plus HD pack ($8.99), plus the Protection Plan, it will be just under $200/month total (no discounts).

Actually DIRECTV does a better job than almost anyone telling you why the non discount price is and what the price is every month for two years. As you sign up and see the price you can click on a link that spells it out for every month for the next two years.

#9 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

I have an HR34 and an H25. $25 for the Advanced Receiver, $6 each for the two TVs. $6 credit for 24 months (ends August). So, with no credit, $37.00; with credit $31.00..Throw in $7.99, for the Protection Service. $44.99 ($39.99), before any programming. Also, there is a $10 a month discount rolled in, somehwere, to e-billing. It is nota  separate line item on the bill.

The $6/month credit you are getting is for the first tv, which is a permanent credit. It won't go away in 24 months. Everybody gets it.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

Yep, the first TV is included with the programming package 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

this might not be entirely true, for people who are grandfathered into free DVR.  i've had premier since becoming a customer back in '06, when DVR was included w/ the premier package.  i've been grandfathered into free DVR ever since...so, my fee is only $13 (whole home + HD).  i just upgraded to genie when i moved last month, and it's still only $13...so, just upgrading to genie doesn't cause anyone who's grandfathered in to lose their free DVR.

#12 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Good to know, thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

I was thinking of upgrading to the Genie HiDef package and noticed this in the small print:

Remote viewing requires a model C31 Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($25/mo.)

So what am I paying $25.00 extra a month for? The receiver or the ability to watch a movie in the bedroom (remotely) from my receiver in the living room or what? It sounds like I'm going to need extra stuff besides just the receiver, but I'm not sure. Right now all I have is a R22-100 receiver in the living room and a D12-100 in the bedroom. Plus 2 remote controllers.

You are correct to wonder because it's pointless, despite what the employees and fanboys will say. I pay for the service into my house, it's ridiculous to pay for additional TVs if you use a client, but it's a way for TV companies to extort money from their customers. Same with the greedy HD fee and not being able to shut off locals anymore. I do understand a DVR fee because that is Directv technology and an "Extra," if you will. But I can stream many channels on my computer and phone for no additional cost. The client won't work without a Genie so it's not a receiver. I prefer the client over a second receiver because I can bring the OTA channels in the other room without splitting the antenna line more. I know that others don't share that view, but that's fine. You should be paying for an additional receiver, though, since you have one. I have a client that is worthless when the Genie is being stupid, so I won't pay for it (And, after a few phone calls and emails with that very point, I don't.)

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

You are correct to wonder because it's pointless, despite what the employees and fanboys will say. I pay for the service into my house, it's ridiculous to pay for additional TVs if you use a client, but it's a way for TV companies to extort money from their customers. 

Although I you have a point that I don't agree with, I would not necessarily use the word "extort" as you are not forced, or threaten to pay the fee. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

What if the $25 Advanced DVR Fee included the first Genie/RVU client? Then each additional Client was $6 a month?

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

What if the $25 Advanced DVR Fee included the first Genie/RVU client? Then each additional Client was $6 a month?

huh??

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

If you are referring to the $6/month fee for any receiver/dvr, it's already credited back on the first unit.

#18 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

If you are referring to the $6/month fee for any receiver/dvr, it's already credited back on the first unit.

I was saying do the same thing for the first Genie/RVU Client also.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

I was saying do the same thing for the first Genie/RVU Client also.

Why? AFAIK DirecTV is not a charity organization or non-profit

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,075 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:17 AM

Just to clarify, The advanced receiver fee includes your HD , DVR service as well as the MRV fees.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

spam firewall