Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Esky HG-831

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Anyone ever use the Esky HG-831 outdoor aerial? What I like about this is the build in rotor. Less expensive than a Leaf Flat indoor aerial.

I can use my old Direct TV pole which is securely mounted on my roof to secure the aerial.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

Looks like the usual Chinese crap that they try to pawn off as a "great" TV antenna to the uninformed.

If you read the description carefully you see hints of poor translation or awkward English phraseology like you usually see with translations made by non-native speakers.

The reason it has to have such a powerful amplifier is that the antenna itself is so poor.

RUN as fast as you can the other way, the rotor will fail after a month or so an probably the amplifier too.

Buy a real antenna from a reputable established manufacturer (Winegard, Antennas Direct, Channel Master, AntennaCraft, etc.).

Edited by Jim5506, 14 May 2014 - 10:58 AM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

I decided to take your advise. Looking in to those aerial manufacturers you recommended.

#4 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

You should only mount a small antenna on a satellite dish pole.  They simply aren't built to handle the kind of wind loads and torque a large antenna will put on it.

#5 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

You should only mount a small antenna on a satellite dish pole. They simply aren't built to handle the kind of wind loads and torque a large antenna will put on it.

The pole is one attached to the roof. The pole in one foot in height.

#6 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

The pole is one attached to the roof. The pole in one foot in height.

It isn't a matter of being attached to the roof or how tall it is.  It's a matter of having a wide enough base.

Satellite dish J-mounts are insufficient for medium-to-large antennas. 

But hey, it's your roof.  Do what you want with it.

spam firewall