Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking of moving to internet app from car subscription

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

I rarely use my Sirius subscription in my car. Maybe a handful of times per month, I do like having it but am starting to struggle with justifying the cost. I've been toying with the idea of moving to the internet app. I have a Bluetooth connection in my car and can stream music easily. Data used should not be an issue.

Anyone using Sirius this way? Or do you prefer running with Pandora, IHeartRadio, Spotify, etc?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

I personally use Spotify and very happy with it. I have the premium version which is $9.99 a month for one log on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

I rarely use my Sirius subscription in my car. Maybe a handful of times per month, I do like having it but am starting to struggle with justifying the cost. I've been toying with the idea of moving to the internet app. I have a Bluetooth connection in my car and can stream music easily. Data used should not be an issue.

Anyone using Sirius this way? Or do you prefer running with Pandora, IHeartRadio, Spotify, etc?

I did not renew the trial  period on my cars, and see no reason to ever renew it. For long trips I prefer audio books, and for short ones, local radio, iTunes or Pandora. 

I have premium Pandora for the home, streams at a pretty decent bit  rate. I also have Spotify, Last.fm, Apple radio, and one other. Oh, also IP radio on my Denon receiver. But not enough time to mess with any but Pandora and Apple radio. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

I played with streaming Pandora and IheartRadio from my iPhone on the way home yesterday in my car. Since I have a solid LTE connection all the way, signal was great, and music sounded better than the lousy Sirius receiver in my car.

I think I just may cancel Sirius entirely.

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

I canceled Sirius yesterday. After telling the operator I dtse it, he proceeded to make me all kinds of offers to keep it, including the $89/year offer followed by the $25/6 months Music only offer.

I guess he didn't understand what, "I don't use it" means! My answer to each offer was the same, "Why should I pay for a service I don't use regardless of price?" At the end there was a mild threat. If you cancel and want to subscribe again, there will be a $15 subscription restoration charge. Ohhh. I'm scared.

• Laxguy likes this

#6 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Yep, we are also thinking of dropping it, our 08 grand caravan, is the only one that uses it, and when we get a new one this year, the MYGIG is app ready. So Pandora it is.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

#7 OFFLINE   love that tv

love that tv

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

hey DMSPEN, i too am having the same dilemma. I have a car subscription and internet subscription. I do use my car sub. but thinking of canceling and using my internet in the car. My reasons are different then yours. i am really upset with that fact that my internet subscription is cheaper than my Sirius radio sub. and to top it off, you get far more channels on the internet than your full priced Sirius radio. MANY MORE ADDITIONAL CHANNELS. and good ones too. i called Sirius and asked why i'm paying full price in my car and getting 50 channels less. they said its a bandwidth issue, which i understand. so they should understand that i'm going to pay for cheaper internet subscription and get more. 

Choice Xtra with SF Locals, HD, DVR, MRV
LivingRoom DVR-HR24-500 with AM21 for Sacramento Locals
Loft DVR -HR20-700 with OTA for Sacramento Locals
Bedroom DVR -HR22-100

Networked with CAT5e, Netgear Router

#8 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

It's been several days now without Sirius in my car and I haven't missed it. On my iPhone I can use SIRI voice control to start Pandora, then switch my car the BT Stereo (bluetooth) and away we go. Pretty great. The BT Stereo setting picks up whatever streaming music is coming from my phone. Since I'm already paying for internet access on my phone, it's a no brainer. In fact, the Sirius receiver in my car was rather poor. The sound was compressed, muddy, shrill, warbly(?), and just not that great. It's much better via phone.

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Watch your data cap.  Unless you're with Sprint, streaming can cost you.

Maybe someday they'll finally reconcile the two systems (Sirius and XM) so they aren't broadcasting everything twice and they can double the number of channels on a unified receiver.  I often wonder if 'newer' receivers already have this ability built in so that they can "pull the trigger" when those are the overwhelming majority of tuners out there.

• REDSKINSFAN47 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

I'd consider trying them again if they halved the number of channels and doubled the bit rate.....

#11 ONLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'd consider trying them again if they halved the number of channels and doubled the bit rate.....

Not going to happen.  TV, radio broadcasters have know for decades people prefer more channels to better quality.  

Gary

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Not going to happen.  TV, radio broadcasters have know for decades people prefer more channels to better quality.

No doubt. Fortunately, there are enough people who care for quality that you can still get it in places.

#13 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

The beauty is that, if they merged the encoding systems, you'd have double the bandwidth.  You could increase channels AND bitrate and please everyone.  But I don't know how many of their 26M subscribers have a tuner that would be obsolete (and presumably SiriusXM would have to make good on that).

I, for one, have an XM receiver that I bought in 2007 for my Pioneer head unit in the car and have a lifetime subscription on it.  I only pay the monthly fee for traffic and internet.  I would be *seriously* upset if it went dark.  Of course, my contract says I can move my subscription to any other *portable* receiver up to 3 times for a $75 fee so there's that.

#14 OFFLINE   REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWoodbine,MD

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

I use Sirius/xm this way on my  iphone  it works pretty good and goes with me everywhere I go , it does hang up sometimes just loses data and times out after 90 minutes but all it all it works pretty well. $15 bucks a month.

hr20,hdmi to living room,componant mirred to office,h20kit hdmi,bedroom mine r15,bedroom daughters h20,other d10,slimline dish mounted on back of house,18 in.round (spare),on 3ft pipe in ground watered by dog daily.ota on roof.

#15 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

I use Sirius/xm this way on my  iphone  it works pretty good and goes with me everywhere I go , it does hang up sometimes just loses data and times out after 90 minutes but all it all it works pretty well. $15 bucks a month.

$15/month? Seems quite high for Sirius internet. When I dropped Sirius, they offered my 6 months of satellite Sirius, Music Only, for $24.99. I have since received 2 such offers via email from them. Is the $15 just Sirius internet? 

#16 OFFLINE   REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWoodbine,MD

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

$15/month? Seems quite high for Sirius internet. When I dropped Sirius, they offered my 6 months of satellite Sirius, Music Only, for $24.99. I have since received 2 such offers via email from them. Is the $15 just Sirius internet? 

yup $15 just for internet, I can't get them to budge on that, getting many great offers for satellite, but its still cheaper just to have internet on my iPhone and it goes with me everywhere and there are more channels.

hr20,hdmi to living room,componant mirred to office,h20kit hdmi,bedroom mine r15,bedroom daughters h20,other d10,slimline dish mounted on back of house,18 in.round (spare),on 3ft pipe in ground watered by dog daily.ota on roof.

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

$15 a month?? At what bit rate do they purport to send? 

#18 OFFLINE   ground_pounder

ground_pounder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

I canceled Sirius yesterday. After telling the operator I dtse it, he proceeded to make me all kinds of offers to keep it, including the $89/year offer followed by the $25/6 months Music only offer.

I guess he didn't understand what, "I don't use it" means! My answer to each offer was the same, "Why should I pay for a service I don't use regardless of price?" At the end there was a mild threat. If you cancel and want to subscribe again, there will be a $15 subscription restoration charge. Ohhh. I'm scared.

I never paid the  15 dollar restoral fee or the radio swap fee. I told em how lousy there service is and how the sound quality sucks and how they play the same crap songs over and over and how I can make usb drives and listen to Pandora for free they gave me a month free to keep me as a subscriber. so that month went by and I called and cancelled and they shut the radio off right away after my speech. most of the time they will through out offers for half price deals so then I got the select package 5 months for 25 bucks!! siriusxm used to be better when they were separate companies and the sound quality was a lot better than it is now as well as the playlists were deeper and not the same old crap over and over

Edited by ground_pounder, 17 August 2014 - 12:26 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...