Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Fall 2014 Schedule

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

FOX FALL 2014 SCHEDULE

(New programs in UPPER CASE; all times ET/PT)

MONDAY

8-9 PM GOTHAM

9-10 PM Sleepy Hollow

TUESDAY

8-9 PM UTOPIA

9-9:30 PM New Girl

9:30-10 PM The Mindy Project

WEDNESDAY

8-9 PM Hell’s Kitchen

9-10 PM RED BAND SOCIETY

THURSDAY

8-9 PM Bones

9-10 PM GRACEPOINT

FRIDAY

8-9 PM Masterchef Junior

9-10 PM UTOPIA

SATURDAY

7-10:30 PM Fox Sports Saturday

SUNDAY

7-7:30 PM NFL Game

7-8 PM Bob’s Burgers

8-8:30 PM The Simpsons

8:30-9 PM Brooklyn Nine-Nine

9-9:30 PM Family Guy

9:30-10 PM MULANEY

You can read about the shows at Deadline Hollywood or The Hollywood Reporter or....

Edited by phrelin, 12 May 2014 - 09:05 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm looking forward to Gotham

http://www.nytimes.c....temail0=y&_r=0

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,512 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Ooohh!!  The guy from Southland! I like him.  I hope I like Gotham!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the Information

TBoneit

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

Ooohh!!  The guy from Southland! I like him.  I hope I like Gotham!

Fox hopes you'll like "Gotham" also.

We also like Ben McKenzie. We watched all the episodes of the two very successful TV series in which he had starring roles: first as Ryan Atwood in all four seasons (92 episodes - 2003-2007) of "The O.C." on Fox  and then as Officer Ben Sherman in all five (sort of) seasons (43 episodes - 2009-2013) of "Southland.", the first season on NBC when the network's execs were destroying everything and then picked up by TNT.

When I first read about "Gotham" I thought I might not like it because I stopped being enamored with comic book super-heroes at sometime around age 14, shifting over to novels by authors like Erle Stanley Gardner and Ian Fleming for fantasy  But based on subsequent stories about "Gotham" and the preview above, we'll probably watch the show even though 8 pm Monday is a schedule death slot for Fox these days.

Edited by phrelin, 12 May 2014 - 12:51 PM.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

I had an opportunity to see the FOX upfront pres live today.

There were extended previews of:

Gracepoint - looks dour and depressing like Hostages

Wayward Pines - has an overly-stylized "Twin Peaks" feel to it, and a great cast

Gotham - also a great cast. Ben McKenzie can elevate any project. Chicks love him.

Hieroglyph - seems pretty boring other than the art and set decoration and costuming; feels like Dracula in another setting

Empire - nothing here for anyone over 20 with an IQ over 90 that is not into rap because of the cult of personality involved (rather than because the music is great, which it isn't). Kind of a lame attempt to skew younger.

Red Band Society - They may have something here, but probably not. IQ below 80 needed for this one. Also a young-skew attempt.

Backstrom -  Rainn Wilson is really going to chew up the scenery. The dialog seems to be a standout.

Mulaney - basic stand-up comic-based sitcom. Not, as speculated, a new Seinfeld

Weird Loners - don't even remember this one, so it must have made a real impression on me

Last Man on Earth - ditto. Oh, wait a minute--those two did not screen previews; I think they are still early on in production

So, you can't really tell much or predict much from a 5-minute preview, just like you can't tell whether you should go see Godzilla this weekend because of the commercials.

But as far as first impressions go, what looks promising is Backstrom. Rainn Wilson may have found his dream role here. Also, Gotham, but that may not be what it appears. Wayward Pines with its great cast and stylized approach may have a shot as well, but it seemed a bit overdone. I am still going to be rooting for those three. I really want them to be good, but then I was rooting for Intelligence and Black Box, and they both were duds.

I expect less than nothing from Empire or Hieroglyph, but then I am still shaking my head on how Brooklyn 99 or The Mindy Project ever got on the air in the first place, so there is probably no accounting for taste. All of those seem like wrong-headed mistakes and tube-coolers. Empire will surprise me if I make it to the first commercial break; same for Red Band Society, although the approach and the setting (hospital for very ill children) are unique. The rest will get one shot, maybe more than one, until I can locate the remote.

Edited by TomCat, 12 May 2014 - 07:53 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

Hey, phrelin

How are the ratings for 24 so far?

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hey, phrelin

How are the ratings for 24 so far?

This week in the live + same day ratings it ran #3 in the 18-49 demo and #4 in total viewers. I would suspect it will show gains in the DVR viewing results and as the competition hits finales it will pick up quite a bit. But right now it's not doing as well for Fox as "Sleepy Hollow" though it is performing better than "The Following."

My AV Setup

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

Ratings kind of don't matter, because FOX is committed to the eps in the can and we don't expect another season. IOW, your are going to get all of these 12 eps and that's it. Treasure each one.

But the quality is right up there with the original. A lot of folks could have been cast as Jack Bauer, but not many could deliver the lines...

"You probably think I'm at a disadvantage. I assure you I am not." with quite the same panache as Kiefer.

I was also happy to see that when they reformed the old band, that Sean Callery was back doing the score.

Assuming you have not erased it, watch the last 20 minutes of the 2nd hour (first night), when Jack and Chloe are pursuing the guy who created the doomsday device du'jour and his slutty Russian (not) girlfriend, right up through the point where the knife gets twisted, very literally.

Instead of getting caught up in the drama, actually listen to Sean Callery's music, which normally would be something folks react to not directly, but emotionally, subconsciously. No one anywhere can elevate the suspense the way this guy can. It's just amazing what he does throughout that pursuit sequence. Now watch that part again with just CC and no audio, and imagine how dry the scene would be without that music.

There is also always something special very near the end of every ep of 24 when the split screens start reminding us of all of the simultaneous events all taking place at once. There is that Sean Callery classic "whoosh" sound as the screen starts to split, I don't know how else to describe it, that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up every time. It's brilliant. Very few who score for film and TV are as good as this guy.

He is a genius, supporting all of the other geniuses behind this show, Homeland, and Elementary, which is of course more of a procedural/mystery so it has a different feel to what he creates for the suspense/thriller genre of Homeland and 24, but it is also great. There is very little music for Elementary, and what is there is understated and simple, almost completely subliminal, never getting in the way of the drama.

Edited by TomCat, 14 May 2014 - 08:25 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:02 AM

Well I agree we'll get all the episodes I still think ratings count big-time. Frankly I'm not so convinced that this is a one time thing. I would not be one bit surprised if he comes back for another season if the ratings are going enough in the same summertime format. And keeping with the new 12 hours format.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

Well I agree we'll get all the episodes I still think ratings count big-time. Frankly I'm not so convinced that this is a one time thing. I would not be one bit surprised if he comes back for another season if the ratings are going enough in the same summertime format. And keeping with the new 12 hours format.

I thought I had read before they started shooting this season that this would be the last season and they'd move on to movies.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Inky is partly right, and ratings might count. For instance, if the ratings are significantly higher than predicted, there might be at least a push for another 12, but Kiefer and the producers and FOX would all have to be on board, and this is not a situation where it matters all that much to the producers or Kiefer, because they are not hungry for it, and have a been-there done-that outlook. They have other options and don't need high ratings on this go-around of 24.

And of course the producers and Kiefer are in that cat-bird seat of taking the position that if FOX wants more, it will really cost them. So more is pretty unlikely, even if the ratings are significantly high, and less (some of these 12 eps just don't air) is not going to happen either, even if the ratings are pretty low.

Ratings certainly always matter to FOX, but they would need to be significantly high for them to consider more 24, as this is kind of a unique one-off situation. A show like Surviving Jack or New Girl is much, much more dependent on the ratings being there.

And really what I was trying to say, apparently quite clumsily, is that ratings don't matter nearly as much in this situation as to whether there will be more 24, as they do for most shows, so possibly there is a little more clarity regarding that than before.

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

I thought I had read before they started shooting this season that this would be the last season and they'd move on to movies.

It's Hollywood. They said that several years ago after the last season. I think it's all about money and if they enjoy doing it and if they can come up with a good story line.

#14 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

It is not like we have seen a show that had the entire season in the can then pulled after a few weeks of bad ratings and replaced with reruns of a reality show. . . .

Oh wait.

I don't expect anything out of any of the networks these days.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Fox has announced the premier dates for the Fall 2014 Schedule:

Sunday, Sept. 7
8-9 pm: UTOPIA (Series Premiere, Part One)

Tuesday, Sept. 9
8-9  pm: UTOPIA (Series Premiere, Part Two / Time Period Premiere)

Wednesday, Sept. 10
8-10 pm: HELL’S KITCHEN (Season 13 Premiere)

Friday, Sept. 12
8-9 pm: UTOPIA (Series Premiere, Part Three / Time Period Premiere)

Tuesday, Sept. 16
9-9:30 pm: NEW GIRL (Season Premiere)
9:30-10 pm: THE MINDY PROJECT (Season Premiere)

Wednesday, Sept. 17
8-9 pm: HELL’S KITCHEN (Time Period Premiere)
9-10 pm: RED BAND SOCIETY (Series Premiere)

Monday, Sept. 22
8-9 pm: GOTHAM (Series Premiere)
9-10 pm: SLEEPY HOLLOW (Season Premiere)

Thursday, Sept. 25
8-9 pm: BONES (Season Premiere)

Sunday, Sept. 28
8-8:30 pm: THE SIMPSONS (Season Premiere)
8:30-9 pm: BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (Season Premiere)
9-10 pm: FAMILY GUY (One-Hour “The Simpsons Guy” Season Premiere Crossover Event)

Thursday, Oct. 2
9-10 pm: GRACEPOINT (10-Part Mystery Event Series Premiere)

Sunday, Oct. 5
7:30-8 pm: BOB’S BURGERS (Season Premiere)
9:30-10 pm: MULANEY (Series Premiere)

Friday, Nov. 7
8-9 pm: MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (Season Premiere)

My AV Setup

#16 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

Looking forward to Wayward Pines as I am currently reading Pines, the first book in the Wayward Pines Trilogy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...