Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SonicTap Piano (Ch: 865): No longer exclusively piano music!

Sonic-Tap Programming Piano

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

I've been very pleased with the Piano SonicTap channel for several years. It actually plays exclusively piano music without a hint of any other musical instrument. Bravo!

Yesterday, May 11, 2014 at about 8:40 AM PDT I heard for the first time ever on the Piano channel drums, saxophone, and other jazz instruments on a David Beniot track! I was incredulous.

Right now, May 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM PDT channel 865, the Sonic-Tap Piano channel is playing a David Beniot cut that has horns and drums.  This is very disappointing.

Who the **** made the decision to destroy the best SonicTap music channel content by deviating from the piano music exclusivity?

If the Piano channel is changing its exclusively piano format to include other instruments, perhaps its name should be changed so as not misslead listeners.

I've attempted to access the Sonic-Tap web site at <http://sonictap.com/>, but there is nothing there but a blank page.

Perhaps it becoming time for me to drop my DirecTV $175.00 per month subscription and move on...

I can not urge Sonic-Tap strongly enough to continue playing piano music exclusively on the SonicTap Piano channel. The previous playlist was perfect. Please don't fix something that isn't broken. Please.

Best regards,
Larry Dighera

• Dude111 likes this
While theoretically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming.
--Lee de Forest, 1926

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Hmm. I haven't listened to that channel in a while, but I don't think I'd really get too worked up if they played the occasional tune by artists who are chiefly pianists but have some backup instruments in there.  (Benoit, Dave Grusin, Jim Wilson, et. al.)

The main reason I got away from listening to the piano channel is that they played WAY WAY too many songs by Art Tatum.  There were times when it seemed like 25% of the songs played were his.  Don't get me wrong, the man was a genius player, but too much is too much.

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

Would Piano Man by Billy Joel be appropriate music?  Just asking...   ;)

#4 OFFLINE   Richjr42

Richjr42

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

Sadly,I don't get this channel but would love it. I have the same complaint about the classical music stations,in that they play the same songs over and over. I'd like a little more variety in my music,please..

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Proud Directv Subscriber Since 2002!(HD Since 2010)

#5 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

I've attempted to access the Sonic-Tap web site at <http://sonictap.com/>, but there is nothing there but a blank page.

Looks like they forgot the to pay their renew for the web site.

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

I do not subscribe to DirecTV for the music, and I certainly would not be paying $175 per month based on the presence or absence of an exclusively piano music channel.

That said (and somewhat off topic), I am disappointed that XM Radio replaced the 40's channel with an exclusively Billy Joel channel.  With all of the different musical genera they have, one would think they could have at least one channel dedicated to swing music.

• sigma1914 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

SonicTap is a spin-off brand (used by D*) of DMX Music which is part of Mood Media company now.

http://www.dmx.com/

http://www.moodmedia.com/

http://en.wikipedia....iki/DMX_(music)

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to find more transitions to existing Muzak audio channels in the future, but Muzak's channel is called "Piano and Guitar" and I don't recall hearing much in the way of other instruments on that channel.

Here's what's playing now on the Muzak channel:

http://muzakwpn.muzak.com/wpn/050.html

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

I've been very pleased with the Piano SonicTap channel for several years. It actually plays exclusively piano music without a hint of any other musical instrument. Bravo!

Yesterday, May 11, 2014 at about 8:40 AM PDT I heard for the first time ever on the Piano channel drums, saxophone, and other jazz instruments on a David Beniot track! I was incredulous.

Right now, May 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM PDT channel 865, the Sonic-Tap Piano channel is playing a David Beniot cut that has horns and drums.  This is very disappointing.

Who the **** made the decision to destroy the best SonicTap music channel content by deviating from the piano music exclusivity?

If the Piano channel is changing its exclusively piano format to include other instruments, perhaps its name should be changed so as not misslead listeners.

Perhaps it becoming time for me to drop my DirecTV $175.00 per month subscription and move on...

I can not urge Sonic-Tap strongly enough to continue playing piano music exclusively on the SonicTap Piano channel. The previous playlist was perfect. Please don't fix something that isn't broken. Please.

Best regards,
Larry Dighera

I subscribe to the Premier Package.... CH. 865 doesn't exist. How are you able to get it?

Edited by ep1974, 13 May 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

I do not subscribe to DirecTV for the music, and I certainly would not be paying $175 per month based on the presence or absence of an exclusively piano music channel.

That said (and somewhat off topic), I am disappointed that XM Radio replaced the 40's channel with an exclusively Billy Joel channel.  With all of the different musical genera they have, one would think they could have at least one channel dedicated to swing music.

40's on will back next month.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

I subscribe to the Premier Package.... CH. 865 doesn't exist. How are you able to get it?

It's probably a 5 LNB channel and you have a 3 LNB.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

It's probably a 5 LNB channel and you have a 3 LNB.

Yep, it's on 119 which one wouldn't get with a 3 place LNB. 

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#13 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

The correct channel number is: 865 not 856.  Sorry.

The sonictap.com domain expired two days prior to the change in programming, which leads me to infer that there may have been a recent ownership change perhaps.

I contacted MoodMedia by telephone, and voiced my complint about there new policy of playing music containing saxaphone and other instruments on the Piano channel.  The customer support person had a consultation with his supervisor, and returned to the phone indicating that MoodMedia would make any playlist changes they choose despite the name of the channel.  The experience gave me the same sort of warm feeling I get when my government representitives promulgate laws that favior large corporations over the interests of the constituents they represent....  :-(

If AT&T's merger with Yahoo to administrate their internet service is any indication of what DirecTV subscribers can expect when/if AT&T acquires DirecTV is any indication, there will soon be many incomprehensibly dumb patently ignerent policy changes to the service without a thought to their impact on customers.  Perhaps my expectation of competence is unrealistic in today's global business environment. 

Thanks to all for your interest and support in this matter.

While theoretically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming.
--Lee de Forest, 1926

#14 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

DirecTV provides this description of the Piano SonicTap channel (865):

"Solo piano for dining and relaxation.  Elegant and contemplateve selections

from New Age, Easy Listing, Jazz and Classical.  Tentative, reflective and flowing. 

Music for perfect moments."

Since the play list has begun to feature saxaphones, gutars, and drums, I haven't heard any classical tracks.

Oh well....

--Lee de Forest, 1926

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

When Mood Media changes formats, DIRECTV can't do much about it. That's the folly of phoning it in.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Agreed with others, DIRECTV does not program the Sonic Tap channels. You can do what you want, but jumping ship from a TV provider because their third party music channels change is quite a reaction. 

Depending on your receiver, you may have access to Pandora radio, which you could use to program your own streaming piano station. 

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

And this unfortunately is a common trend...look at the other channels. TLC (compared to back in the old days), History, etc etc. They change formats and the name no longer matches, or they say that the acronym doesn't stand for anything.

Sometimes it's not necessarily a bad thing, like A&E or AMC original series, but it certainly can.

spam firewall