Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DishMover Questions

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

We are in the process of purchasing a home in the Sacramento Area.  We currently live in the SFO Bay Area.

The new home has a Direct TV dish on it and we definitely want to keep Dish.

I have 3 receivers.  A 722 that I own, a second 722K that is leased and a 211.

Since Sacramento is in a different DMA  will I need to reset my standard recordings of Network shows?  

I don't want to get caught in a situation where I miss shows during the transition.

Ideally I would like to have the dish installed prior to moving up there so I can just plug the receivers in but don't know if that is an option.

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

A new dish will need to be installed on a new foot (unless it is an SD dish).  The old dish will probably be left where it is.

You'll need to re-do your timers for the different stations.

The terms of the mover's deal are that the receivers and working TVs are in place BEFORE any part of the installation commences.  If you can't live with that, you should contact a local installer and see about doing the deal through them.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

Yeah... I've moved a couple of times now with Dish Mover and it has been consistent.

They will only install/configure equipment that is on their work order... so if you have a receiver that you own but is not currently activated, it would have to be active before you schedule the move...  and as harsh notes, you have to bring the receivers with you and have them there at the time of the scheduled installation.

What I have done... when I am close to both locations... is left my receivers in place at the old home and moved my TV to the new home... that way recordings kept going.  Then schedule the dish mover and the night before the appointment, I go and unhook everything to bring to the new place so it is there for the next day's appointment.  That minimized the down-time and in both of my moves I was able to have the new setup working before that night so I didn't miss any recordings due to the move.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

We'll be moving about 1/2 mile later this summer.  Thenew house is extensively wired for Comcast but we will only keep Comcast internet.  Will continue to use DISH for TV.  I've been thinking the move would be a good time to upgrade to two Hoppers and multiple Joeys.  

Will Dish Mover wire everything in addition to installing the new Dish.  I'm fine with using some of the Comcast cable, assuming it's RG6, but we won't know what we have to work with until we're ready to move. 

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

We'll be moving about 1/2 mile later this summer.  Thenew house is extensively wired for Comcast but we will only keep Comcast internet.  Will continue to use DISH for TV.  I've been thinking the move would be a good time to upgrade to two Hoppers and multiple Joeys.  

Will Dish Mover wire everything in addition to installing the new Dish.  I'm fine with using some of the Comcast cable, assuming it's RG6, but we won't know what we have to work with ustil we're ready to move. 

I think you can use the Comcast wire with Dish. I had TCI Cable in the 90's. Then in 1998 we got Dish. It should work.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Stewart and Harsh,  I think that pretty much gives me the picture. 

A bit of a hassle as the new home is about 2.5 hrs away and my current system has a home theater with projector that is likely being sold with the home.

As a result,  I really only have 2 TVs but 3 receivers until I build a new theater in the new home.  

I may need to pickup a small HDMI monitor to handle the install. Internet connections will likely need to be done wirelessly with Apple Express modems or something similar.   

I won't be able to do any serious planning until we really know the close and moveout dates but this helps a lot.  

Living in the same house for 41 years makes moving a major project.  Couple all of this with the fact that we will be maintaining an apartment in the Bay Area for about  9 months as we close out our businesses. 

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

You're welcome... I forgot to mention... while I was moving, it wasn't a "Dish Mover" but... when I first got Dish installed years ago I was in the process of moving into a new home.  I wasn't moving my TV there until I had some furniture and a bed to sleep there... so when I got my initial Dish installation I didn't actually have my TV there... so what I did was bring a small portable one.  This was before HDTV and back then I had multiple small portable TVs.

During my last move I did something similar, didn't have my HDTV setup at the time the installer was here so I temporarily hooked up an old tube SDTV to test things.

As long as you have something there to hook it up to, you can always wire-in an a/v system or better TV later at your leisure... the installer will just need something to be able to see and hear to verify things are working.

#8 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

LOL!  As part of getting ready for the move,  all of our old CRT TVs went to GoodWill. 

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#9 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

LOL!  As part of getting ready for the move,  all of our old CRT TVs went to GoodWill. 

If you have not setup the mover yet I am more than happy to help you! Please PM me with the phone, 4 digit PIN and new service address and I will help with the setup.

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Mike,

I will do that.  We still have a month or more to go before things get settled but I will reach out when we are ready. 

..Doyle

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#11 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

OK,  we now own the new house but still not ready to engage DishMover until our current home closes and we get close to moving time.  However I got a little concerned reading some threads about installs not going on the roof.   The new home has a DTV antenna installed and all of the coax wiring to various rooms in the house goes to this DTV antenna.   Will the DishMover remove the DTV antenna and replace it with a Dish Antenna or is the fact that it is on the roof cause a problem.   I am attaching a picture of the current install for reference.  Any guidance would be helpful as I don't want to get into a situation where a tech shows up and says they can't go up there. 

Dish.jpg

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

They aren't going to touch any existing DirecTV equipment.  They may or may not be able to use any existing coax... depending on your needs and the condition of that coax... but they are usually under instructions to leave competitor equipment alone.

#13 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

OK, now I am getting worried.  There is no way to pull new Coax without violating walls and ceilings.  One way or another we will need to use the existing Coax that is all relatively new and serving all of the key rooms.  If I need to remove the DTV dish myself  I can do that.  I guess the other alternative is to use a private installer and buy the dish myself. 

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#14 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

By the way, I do really appreciate the quick answers.

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#15 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Please bear with me on these questions as I try to avoid an install problem.

If I remove the DTV dish and leave the mount pole,  would the DishMover installer mount the Dish 1000.2 or 1000.4 on this nicely reinforced pole with all of the coax readily available to connect?  Both Dish and Direct use 1 5/8 poles.  

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

Someone more knowledgable than I will chime in... but not all dish mounting hardware is compatible.  There were some dish models where DirecTV and Dish network equipment could be installed and pointed properly on the same mast... but I do not think this is something you can always depend upon.  Even if they look "standard" there are often subtle differences.

As for the cables... if they are relatively new and run to the right rooms and there are enough to support your Dish receivers... you may be ok there.  I could be missing it... but I don't remember seeing where you say how the DirecTV setup is wired (how many wires from the dish to the house and if they are in the right rooms already)... so that's why I have to hedge.

Installers generally will use existing coax as long as it meets specs.  In your case, since you aren't bringing Hopper equipment you have more leeway in this regard.  It's just hard to say 100% without knowing the history of the DirecTV installation as to how much re-use there will be when the Dish installer gets there.

#17 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Thanks again Stewart,

The home is relatively new. Built in 2006.  I looked in the attic at the cable runs on the second floor and it is new RG6 cable.  I am a microwave engineer and Ham operator and pretty familiar with various Coax.   The three key rooms for me all have single coax running to them which is fine with the Dish separators I currently use for my 722 and 722K.  I haven't been on the roof yet, mainly because it is a flat tile roof but will carefully go up there the next time I am there making sure I don't break tiles.  I also have the equipment to disconnect and tone out the lines to the various rooms.  Worst case I can purchase a 1000.4 for about $60 in Sacramento and do the install myself.  I have installed a 1000.4 before but felt the Dishmover would be easier as my plate is already very full with this move.   I am not familiar with the DTV wiring so not sure if the cables connect only to the antenna or to a box similar to a DPP44 or something like that. 

I guess the one question I still have is whether the installer will go on a roof or only work on a ladder.  Clearly the DTV antenna was installed from the roof. 

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

That clears up a lot from my perspective.  I don't know about DirecTV wiring, though, so like you said I don't know either if they are direct runs to the room from the dish or if there is any other hardware in between.  IF it is direct runs of coax to each room, then you're probably golden on that front.

Part of the thing about the hardware is... even if the mast technically will accept a Dish dish, it might not be a mast that is molded in a manner that will allow the Dish dish to be properly plumb for pointing where it needs to point.  It also may not be possible to leave the roof-plate and install a Dish mast to that.  From my memory, some Dish mounts have to be completely replaced to accept another type of Dish equipment.  You may, though, be able to remove the DirecTV mount and ask the Dish installer to mount there in its place... and that might be possible to re-seal in such a way that you don't even make any new holes in the roof.  It's hard to say for sure, though, since I know very little about DirecTV equipment.

As for the roof install itself...  I had a couple of different roof installations at prior homes.  Both were near the edge, though... so the installer was on a ladder but did not actually have to step foot on the roof to install.  I think they have gotten a little more strict about doing that, for various safety reasons... so the closer your dish install is to the edge where the work can be done safely from the ladder, the better chance you might have of getting them to install it there.

#19 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Looks like a difficult install to me.  The picture you posted doesn't show how the mounting base is attached, at least not clear to me. 

I would advise seeing if you can get a local installer to come out and survey the situation for you. 

Walking on tile roofs is probably frowned on by Dish, but if the mast currently there is compatible with a Dish replacement, the physical install should be quite easy.  If it were my decision, I would try to do the install myself with a purchased dish from Dish Depot.  Pointing the dish is tricky but can be done.  I've had good luck numerous times and a simple meter is helpful.

I would definitely get this done before you move or you will be without TV for a while.

For pointing, it would be helpful if one of the internal RG6 lines goes to the room closest to the dish.  Then you can open the window and listen to the tone for best signal.

PS.  Nice solar setup.  Looks like there has been a LOT of walking on the roof without creating any problems.

Edited by Grandude, 12 June 2014 - 10:08 AM.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#20 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Thanks guys,  I am thinking more of doing the install myself.  I can get a new unopened 1000.4 dish in Sacramento for $65 off of Craigslist and it will drive the 3 locations I need.  I can tone out the lines to get those three that I need from the  DTV dish.  I have a pointing meter and can setup a small monitor on the roof  connected to an inside receiver.   The Master Bedroom is right on the other side of those windows so easy enough to have a piece of Coax from the Sat receiver to a composite monitor to do the final tweeking on the dish.   Biggest issue is  rigging some pieces of plywood to distribute the load on the tiles so I don't break tiles as I will need a 6 foot ladder on that lower roof.   I can do all of that over the long 4th of July weekend prior to the actual move.   I won't see the locals as Sac is a different DMA than the Bay Area but this is only my install using the alignment screens for 110,119 and 129 and I won't be actually moving  receivers there until late July.   If things don't work as planned then we cross that bridge later.

The Solar was a real bonus with this home as it is an 8 kw system. Hopefully plenty to keep up with the A/C load in Sacramento. 

Edited by DoyleS, 12 June 2014 - 12:08 PM.

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

Protected By... spam firewall...And...