Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DishMover Questions

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

The other thing that is hard to tell from the picture...

In one house that I lived, my father had DirecTV at one point... then Dish later.  Where they had put the DirecTV dish couldn't have a Dish install there because the house was physically in the way of where the dish needed to point.  So I was looking at your picture...  depending on how your house is situated relative to where the Dish dish would need to point... You may be ok... in CA...  but I don't think an eastern arc dish could be installed in that location without a taller mast to clear the roof and point back towards that direction.

Again, it's hard to say...  just thinking more out loud of potential things to come up in a pointing/alignment scenario.  Somehow I didn't see that picture yesterday when I was responding.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

The Solar was a real bonus with this home as it is an 8 kw system. Hopefully plenty to keep up with the A/C load in Sacramento. 

I agree.  I installed a solar system about half that size and my power bill is very, very small.  The added thought is that I'm reducing our dependance on oil and coal.

Now if I could figure out how to make my own water.  Can't dig a well here.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#23 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

The other thing that is hard to tell from the picture...

You may be ok... in CA...  but I don't think an eastern arc dish could be installed in that location without a taller mast to clear the roof and point back towards that direction.

Again, it's hard to say...  just thinking more out loud of potential things to come up in a pointing/alignment scenario.  Somehow I didn't see that picture yesterday when I was responding.

Eastern arc not necessary here on the left coast.  I set one up for one bird out on the eastern arc when ZOOM was on Dish and was able to get it but the dish looked like it was pointing into the ground.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#24 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

Dish elevation is about 44 degrees and western arc so pretty much clear view from that location in all directions and new settings will be pretty close to the DTV settings.

My current house has a 4.2 kw system and it dropped our electric bill from around $400-$500/mo to about 70/mo.  I had a lot of electric running with Pool, hot tub, Wine storage bldg, A/C, etc. 

I haven't received the first bill from the new home but I know that we will run A/C a lot more.  It was over 100 last weekend and the home has separate A/C for upstairs and down. 

Water is a big deal this year in California.  Can only water lawns on Tues and Saturday in the new neighborhood until June 16,  then it goes to Tues, Thurs, Sat. for the summer.

Edited by DoyleS, 12 June 2014 - 03:40 PM.

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,819 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Both Dish and Direct use 1 5/8 poles.

While this is true for SD dishes and DISH HD dishes, DIRECTV uses 2" masts for their HD dishes.

The pictured dish is a DIRECTV "Slimline" model and it features a 2" mast.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Harsh is right.  I sent  a picture of the DTV antenna to my Antenna supplier and he confirmed it is a slimline and has a 2" mast.  He has the adapter that converts it back to fit the Dish 1000.4,  should be a relatively easy install. 

Thanks again for all of the coaching guys.

..Doyle

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#27 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

The Dish install went well with only a few hiccups. 

The house has a Home Run panel where all of the coax, Ethernet and Phone drops come in.

I only needed 3 of the Coax drops to cover my family room, Theater and bedroom.   However when I tried to tone  out the lines from the former DTV Dish I couldn't get continuity.

Finally crawled up into the attic and found this DirectTV 5x8 box between the lines.  

After getting that squared away I was able to get clear tones on all of the drops I needed and the guy I bought the 1000.4 Dish from had already set all of the skew, and elevation and given me the Pipe adapter.

Next challenge was walking on that concrete tile roof and putting a ladder on it to reach the old DTV Slimline.  Turns out that was pretty easy.  Very sturdy tiles.  Biggest issue was getting things done before noon when the temperature on the roof went close to 100F.   In the end,  everything is setup and now I just need to wait for the actual move date to call Dish and have them switch my DMA. 

I think I did the right thing doing this myself as I can't believe the Dish guy would have gone on the roof and crawled in the attic to debug all of the drops. 

Fortunately when temps got to hot, I was able to take a break in the pool. 

Thanks again for all the tips and help you guys have offered. 

..Doyle

Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#28 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Sounds good.  I was kind of thinking there was a possibility of hidden DirecTV equipment in the mix somewhere...  not being familiar with their hardware, but being aware that they have some things like Dish does that can be in the circuit but not in plain view...  that + the roof access, and you are probably right that being willing and able to do it yourself ensures you get it the way you want it done.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...