Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Standalone cable card receiver?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a receiver that takes a cable card and doesn't require a PC to function (outputs SD or HD video, doesn't matter)

There are some DVRs, and some receivers/tuners that interface with a PC, but I can't seem to find this.

I'm running into problems with an overheating cable box (DC-757X) that is in an equipment rack with a lot of stuff. I had a DCT-2000 replaced since it had overheating issues but the new box is much worse. All these stupid boxes have a max operating temperature of 104F and no internal fan. I have to blow a big fan directly on it and STILL overheats.

Directv receivers (one H20 and one H24) seem to have no problem with the temperature at all. I'm worried that if I'm having this much of a problem now it is going to be really bad in July when that room is 10-15 degrees warmer!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

How about this? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815345013

• Dude111 likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a receiver that takes a cable card and doesn't require a PC to function (outputs SD or HD video, doesn't matter)

Sure, TiVo DVRs. The Roamio series are highly regarded among many.

http://www.tivo.com/

For a Non-DVR that accepts CableCards you have this Samsung Streaming Media Player.

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

That requires a PC or PC-like device - it outputs ethernet, rather than standard audio/visual connectors like HDMI/RCA.

#5 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

For a Non-DVR that accepts CableCards you have this Samsung Streaming Media Player.

Hadn't heard of this thing, it looked promising but it specifies a maximum temperature of only 95F and as it somehow has a power consumption of 25 watts, it probably generates quite a bit of heat itself. But definitely along the lines of what I'm hoping to find.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Given the sensitivity of modern electronic devices, perhaps you need to reconsider the whole rack thing.

I realize it sounds like heresy, but as the devices get smaller and more "cost reduced", their ability to handle such conditions is only going to get worse.

The new paradigm seems to be mounting things on or near the back of the display so maybe it is time to at least investigate distributing your central heating system components closer to where their content will be consumed.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

Why not put in small fans around the cable box to keep it cooler?

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Even a big box fan blowing directly on it doesn't keep it operating without hiccups, so I doubt little fans are going to help.

Since every other electronic device in that rack (it is actually wire shelving on wheels so it can be moved away from the wall if necessary) copes with the heat just fine, I see it as more of an issue for the cable box than a general failing of having everything racked together. This setup is not ideal, but this is the space I have for it and there isn't an alternate location available.

I have been wondering if the cable signal is the issue. I'm seeing a SNR of 32.5 or so, at home on my Tivo I have 37. I probably should have the cable company out to investigate if there's some impairment or a problem with one of their amps up the street - possibly when it gets warmer - that is responsible rather than the overheating cable box. Putting a fan on the box helps somewhat, but I would imagine if the SNR is marginal having a tuner chip running hot could push it over the edge. Perhaps if I have better signal the box can run hot and still work properly.

spam firewall