Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tracking Returned Receiver

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

I recently returned a defective H25 receiver and dropped it off at the Post Office with the return label. They gave me a receipt with a tracking number that I checked on over the next week. The tracking showed that the package was "picked up and processed by the shipping agent" but no other information about who picked it up or where it was picked up. Is there more information forthcoming or is that all the Post Office will provide.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,766 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

That's it.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,647 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Post office really stinks at tracking packages.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

They used to. Originally it wasn't tracking, it only told you when an item was picked up and when it was delivered. Now it gets scanned along the way. IIRC, the return boxes for defective items are actually delivered by UPS or Fedex, so the USPS tracking ends when those companies receive it.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

just because it gets scanned does not means it gets reported online in a timely fashion.  Both UPS and FeDex are excellent at tracking, specially with timely reporting.  a Company I use quite a lot uses USPS and I get the updates for tracking usually the date I receive the package.  and yes, they use the tracking service as they ship 2 day Priority Mail

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

Just keep your receipt for a few months. Just in case.....

#7 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Thanks, In the 13 years I have been with Directv I have never had to return a receiver. Hopefully I won't have any problems with my first.

#8 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Chances are you won't, but every now and then, there is an issue. 

#9 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

just because it gets scanned does not means it gets reported online in a timely fashion.  Both UPS and FeDex are excellent at tracking, specially with timely reporting.  a Company I use quite a lot uses USPS and I get the updates for tracking usually the date I receive the package.  and yes, they use the tracking service as they ship 2 day Priority Mail

Up until a few years ago, USPS "tracking" information wasn't uploaded until the carrier returned to the office with his scanner. The newer scanners update shortly after each use like the ones UPS and Fedex use.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Up until a few years ago, USPS "tracking" information wasn't uploaded until the carrier returned to the office with his scanner. The newer scanners update shortly after each use like the ones UPS and Fedex use.

perhaps where you live because it does not work that way in my town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

perhaps where you live because it does not work that way in my town

AFAIK, it was a national upgrade a few years ago. You would have to live in the sticks to not have gotten it.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

AFAIK, it was a national upgrade a few years ago. You would have to live in the sticks to not have gotten it.

I did not get anything and from the looks of it neither my mailman... Lol

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

They used to. Originally it wasn't tracking, it only told you when an item was picked up and when it was delivered. Now it gets scanned along the way. IIRC, the return boxes for defective items are actually delivered by UPS or Fedex, so the USPS tracking ends when those companies receive it.

The last time that I returned a dead DVR a few months ago, that is the way it worked.  Initially, the tracking number worked on the USPS site, but after the postal service turned it over to FedEx, I was able to just enter the tracking number in a Google search, and the Google search recognized the tracking number as a FedEx number, and it took me directly to the Fed Ex site, and the tracking continued on the Fed Ex site until delivery to DIRECTV was completed. 

#14 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

I did not get anything and from the looks of it neither my mailman... Lol

Tell you what, the next time you receive a package by the USPS, check the online tracking before he gets back to the office. I'm guessing it will show as delivered before he gets back.

#15 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

A lot of times, USPS tracking looks bad because shippers often use a hybrid shipping version, such as FedEx Smart Post, where the package is first given to FedEx (or UPS or some other logistics company) who takes the package across the country and delivers it to the local post office.  The package is then delivered by the regular letter carrier.   The logistics companies are REALLY good at moving packages from hub to hub.  But, they don't have nearly the "to the door" delivery capabilities that the USPS does. 

When this this type of service is used, FedEx (or whoever) doesn't provide tracking information to the USPS.  So, the USPS doesn't know about it until they receive it.  If the shipper provides a USPS tracking number to the customer. rather than a FedEx tracking number, it makes the USPS look bad.

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,228 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Thanks, In the 13 years I have been with Directv I have never had to return a receiver. Hopefully I won't have any problems with my first.

If you are worried about it, call DTV and ask them if they showed the receiver returned on your account.

I returned a dead HR23 a couple of years ago. I waited 2 weeks and called. The lady checked and said it showed it was returned on my account.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#17 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

I don't mean to change the subject but I too returned a defective HR34 and when I looked at the return address on the label it said "Joe Rodriguez, El Paso Texas." Is this a legit address? I googled it and all I could find was a Texas senator named Joe Rodriguez and residing in El paso texas so that can't be it.

#18 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 944 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

What was the street address?

#19 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't mean to change the subject but I too returned a defective HR34 and when I looked at the return address on the label it said "Joe Rodriguez, El Paso Texas." Is this a legit address? I googled it and all I could find was a Texas senator named Joe Rodriguez and residing in El paso texas so that can't be it.

That was the same address on mine.

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,228 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

That was the same address on mine.

That is possibly where their "Refurbish" center is for the receivers. Labor is very cheap there compared to most of the USA.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall