Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

how often can you change your service address?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

i moved cross country from NY to LA, and had the dish installed on the new house thru the movers connection back in early april...but, a few times this year for a period of anywhere from a week to over a month at a time, we will be back at the old house tying up loose ends and getting the old house ready for sale.  i'm at the old house now and brought a receiver with me, so i've obviously got the big four locals (and there's nobody at the new house right now, we're not using receivers at both locations at the same time so no violation of TOS).  my question is, how often can you change the service address back and forth?  it sucks being here in the eastern time zone right now and wanting to watch 24, yet i have to wait until midnight to see it...we have been here since friday and will be here til next tuesday.

Edited by matty8199, 12 May 2014 - 08:57 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Not sure about how many times you can switch, but in your NY location can you get an HD outside antenna and watch live? 

#3 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

i suppose i could, but i don't know that i want to go spend money on an antenna when i already have the receiver here with me.  even if it's only a few dollars, it's money that could be spent elsewhere to help with the move right now...

#4 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:56 PM

It's still violating the ToS as well as FCC guidelines. The FCC part is that you are willingly receiving local channels in a market that DIRECTV is not authorized to broadcast them in on a residential account.

The ToS part is that the service is also active at both locations unless you have deactivated the other receivers completely in the system.

If you were to change your address it would be the same thing for the other address given the markets.

Given the small time frames you're in the location I would look into just using your directv.com account and potentially a Genie Go. You could setup another account or call your local cable company as well to see what basic service is.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

It's still violating the ToS as well as FCC guidelines. The FCC part is that you are willingly receiving local channels in a market that DIRECTV is not authorized to broadcast them in on a residential account.

The ToS part is that the service is also active at both locations unless you have deactivated the other receivers completely in the system.

If you were to change your address it would be the same thing for the other address given the markets.

Given the small time frames you're in the location I would look into just using your directv.com account and potentially a Genie Go. You could setup another account or call your local cable company as well to see what basic service is.

depends what you consider "active" receivers...they're unplugged and nobody is at the other house, so i don't see them as being active.  the only receiver active and plugged in is the one i have with me.  if you want to say that it's them being active on the account, fine...let's assume that when i'm back in NY in july i bring all receivers with me.  now they're all at the same location...

as for the FCC guidelines, i'm attempting to remedy that by changing the service address - which was the point of my original post.

basic cable would also be a waste of money, just like the antenna.  same for a second account...why would i even consider setting up a second account for a home that's hopefully going to be sold by this time next year (god willing)?

all i want to do is use the directv service i'm already paying for while i'm at the old house, where there's already a dish on the roof since i had service here for many years before moving to CA.  i'm not trying to scam anyone here, just use the service i'm paying for...

Edited by matty8199, 13 May 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

I thought maybe some of the "snow birds" or RVers would have responded by now.

Have you called DirecTV to ask them or try to change service address?

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Get a grill, some brewskies, and christen the move a tailgate party.

:coffee

#8 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

I thought maybe some of the "snow birds" or RVers would have responded by now.

Have you called DirecTV to ask them or try to change service address?

i haven't called them yet, i figured someone here could give me a definitive answer.  if you can only do it every so often, i'd leave it as is until july (2+ weeks) and/or december (when i'm likely to be here for over a month at a time).

#9 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:01 AM

depends what you consider "active" receivers...they're unplugged and nobody is at the other house, so i don't see them as being active.  the only receiver active and plugged in is the one i have with me.  if you want to say that it's them being active on the account, fine...let's assume that when i'm back in NY in july i bring all receivers with me.  now they're all at the same location...

as for the FCC guidelines, i'm attempting to remedy that by changing the service address - which was the point of my original post.

basic cable would also be a waste of money, just like the antenna.  same for a second account...why would i even consider setting up a second account for a home that's hopefully going to be sold by this time next year (god willing)?

all i want to do is use the directv service i'm already paying for while i'm at the old house, where there's already a dish on the roof since i had service here for many years before moving to CA.  i'm not trying to scam anyone here, just use the service i'm paying for...

Active receivers are active on the account and able to receive programming.  If you change your address from LA to NY your LA receivers can receive the NY stations which is the same violation of FCC. Since these are national markets you won't escape that aspect of it unless you did bring every receiver to the other location or disconnect the receivers on the account that you weren't using. We understand what you're trying to do but it's not simple because it's not allowed. Not only would it be a horrible business model but it would also cause issues with broadcast restrictions and contracts. Obviously no one here knows the whole situation but at the end of the day it's going to be more hassle than it's worth. Especially with the potential negative outcomes. Having a basic level service installed for when you're there for a month would avoid these issues as well as be a lot less of a hassle. Given the cost of checking a bag or shipping a receiver when you go back and forth I can't see the cost savings being there. 

i haven't called them yet, i figured someone here could give me a definitive answer.  if you can only do it every so often, i'd leave it as is until july (2+ weeks) and/or december (when i'm likely to be here for over a month at a time).

There's not going to be an answer to your question that will help you because what you're attempting to do is not allowed and the people who do things like this correctly won't run into this issue. 

The perceived savings here I doubt is going to be actually saving anything or worth the issues that you're running into and the potential issues you could run into. 

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

I get that you're a by the book kinda guy, but to say that there isn't an answer to my question is absurd.  For all you know, I have only three receivers active on the account and they're all H25s that could easily fit into a carry-on.  For how worried you are about me getting LA channels in NY being against FCC guidelines (which, AGAIN, is what i'm trying to fix by changing the service address back to where i'm currently at), do you also consider a slingbox to be illegal?

I'll ask the question though, AGAIN, as the situation could be in future months to satisfy your need to be completely by the book. I have all of my receivers with me here in NY and will take them all back to CA with me (i.e. they're all in the same location)...how often can I change my service address back and forth?  taking all of my receivers to another location and calling directv to tell them where that address is is certainly not against their TOS, in fact it's exactly what the TOS tell you to do.

Edited by matty8199, 14 May 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

Yes, you have to keep DirecTV informed. So call them and tell them already. You've been there since Friday and haven't, so you're technically violating the TOS.

Bottom line, the answer anyone here gives you isn't going to matter when you call them.

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Since it involves beer, my answer is best.

"I know beer can change the world, I don't how, but it will"

:righton:

• ejbvt likes this

#13 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Yes, you have to keep DirecTV informed. So call them and tell them already. You've been there since Friday and haven't, so you're technically violating the TOS.

Bottom line, the answer anyone here gives you isn't going to matter when you call them.

the reason i was asking here rather than just calling them to do it is because of the ever-present game of CSR roulette that pretty much everyone here plays for everything they do with D*.  was hoping there was a consensus as to how often you can do it from people who have actually done it, rather than having to waste my time calling multiple times to get someone to just change the address back and forth...that's all.

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

I have all of my receivers with me here in NY and will take them all back to CA with me (i.e. they're all in the same location)...how often can I change my service address back and forth?

This is a reasonable question, can someone who actually knows the answer respond to it?

• matty8199 likes this

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

This is a reasonable question, can someone who actually knows the answer respond to it?

It is a reasonable question.

But this is still a question that he'll probably get a different answer every time he calls DirecTV.

#16 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

It is a reasonable question.

But this is still a question that he'll probably get a different answer every time he calls DirecTV.

...which (like i said) is why i asked here, rather than playing CSR roulette.  was hoping to get a consensus, not a lecture...

#17 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

There's no limit to how many times someone might move around in a year so if your account has a 'seasonal home' on it I don't see where a limitation on address changes would make sense and I've never heard of one.

• matty8199 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

...which (like i said) is why i asked here, rather than playing CSR roulette.  was hoping to get a consensus, not a lecture...

A consensus here will not help you when you call DirecTV to make the actual changes, You will have to deal with the CSR that you get - and if they say no ask for a supervisor and hope for a different answer. Telling them "I read on the Internet that I can change once a week" or "once every 6 months" or "seven times in any 12 months" is not going to change that CSR's answer.

BTW: Arguing the logic of why you have to take all of your receivers with you and can't leave one or more connected at the wrong address or move receivers without changing addresses is not allowed on our forums. All receivers at the service address is the terms of service DirecTV has set ... we honor that here. Further attempts to debate that topic will be moderated out of the thread.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

There's no limit to how many times someone might move around in a year so if your account has a 'seasonal home' on it I don't see where a limitation on address changes would make sense and I've never heard of one.

Thank you.

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Matty, you said in another thread that you upgraded to a Genie when you moved to LA. Does your old house in NY have SWIM? Could be an issue when trying to hook up a receiver that is configured for SWiM in LA.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...