Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

If the AT&T/DirecTV merger goes through

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

I think it would add value. These cable companies all have broadband services right at their doorsteps.
Tens of Millions out there with independent cable services currently
Dish would be Buying the customer base as well as all the land line Fiber.

I see where you are going but I think they need someone who is in the wireless world not cable world. It allows them to cover the entire country not just certain markets. I think they are looking at national control.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

If Dish tries to buy Verizon it would be for the wireless service, but not for FIOS since it's only on certain markets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#43 OFFLINE   BobCulp

BobCulp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

You can see Pat Gottsch tonight Monday June 23 at 8 PM EDT On channels 231 Rural (Family Net) TV and 232 RFD TV ; to explain the 2 big mergers and possible loss of Rural TV, RFD TV, or both.

"Mergers Are a Challenge to Rural Television
Comcast-Merger-Webpage-5_01_18.jpg
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Carriage of the rural, independent programming delivered by RFD-TV and RURAL TV is at stake now with the potential merger of Comcast Cable with Time Warner Cable, and the separate merger of AT&T U-Verse with DIRECTV.  If approved by the FCC, these two mergers will control over 54,000,000 homes effecting RFD-TV and RURAL TV viewers in all 50 states.  

Let me be clear - we are NOT opposed to these mergers, at this time.  Instead, we are working hard to raise the level of awareness of the plight of rural, independent programming in Washington, DC, and how we can insure that our channels are treated fairly with these mergers so that rural interests are protected.  In May, I testified before Congress, and met separately with both the FCC (Federal Communication Commission) and the DOJ (Department of Justice).  All were very interested in the potential effect of these mergers on rural America.

These same people are now reviewing the potential mergers between Comcast Cable and Time Warner Cable, along with the pending merger of AT&T with DIRECTV.  This is a big deal, and will essentially determine RFD-TV and RURAL TV's carriage for the next several years on all these cable and satellite systems. 

At this time, the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) wants to get comments from the public.  Here is your chance to really make a difference, and make your statement in support of RFD-TV and rural programming.  There is a short and simple process to register your comments directly to the FCC.  Here's how:

1.  CLICK HERE to go directly to the FCC page for making comments.  (PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW BEFORE GOING TO THE FCC PAGE).  
2.  Select Proceeding Number 14-57: Applications of Comcast Corporation and Time Warner Cable Inc. for Consent to Assign or Transfer Control of Licenses and Applications
3.  Fill out the form with your name, address, and comments in the boxes provided.  
4.  Click "Continue" at the end, where you will review your information and comments one more time.

5.  Click "CONFIRM" and your comments are then delivered to the FCC.

I ask that you do this without delay, as there will be a limit to the time for public comment.  Each and every comment takes us one step closer to insuring that RFD-TV and RURAL TV are carried post merger(s).

Note - Remember this is FCC Proceeding Number 14-57 - Comcast Corporation and Time Warner Cable.  Make sure that 14-57 is in the first line on your FCC form.  

Comcast has been removing RFD-TV from many of their cable systems over the last year.  Mr. David Cohen, VP at Comcast, explained the dropping of RFD-TV in Colorado and New Mexico in August/2013 in the House Judiciary Hearing on the merger by stating that Comcast is "primarily an urban-cluster cable company".  That did not sit well with the rural Congressmen on the panel.  Mr. Cohen gave no explanation for adding Al Jazeera America two days after taking RFD-TV down on those same Colorado and New Mexico cable systems, or for carrying BBC World News as an independent channel on all their systems.  I also testified at that same hearing, and asked the rhetorical question "Can't there be room for at least one channel that serves the interests of rural America"?

Please feel free to contact me direct with any questions at Patrick@rfdtv.com.  

Together, we can get this done and ensure that rural programming is distributed on cable for years to come.  Breaking news on this matter will be announced on all our channels - RFD-TV, RURAL TV, FamilyNet, and RURAL RADIO on SiriusXM channel 80, and through our e-mailed weekly newsletter.

Thanks so much for your support.  I apologize for all of us having to go through all this, but the attitudes of these urban-based media executives make this all necessary.  We must stand up, now, to make sure that a wall is not built between urban and rural America.

Comcast-Merger-Webpage-6_22.jpg

Patrick Gottsch

Founder
    Rural Media Group, Inc."

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

So he wants to what? Guarantee he get can get a price increase or be carried on all levels of programing by law or something? I am missing something there.

#45 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

Looks like they just don't want to be dropped.

Or did I miss something here?

chris

#46 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

I didn't even know we still had RFD.

• Paul Secic and satcrazy like this

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#47 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

I think the question is how many rural tv fans out there?

You can't use BBC world as a complaint, however.

I've seen a few of their programs, and while the equestrian offerings were ok, "Mollie B's polka party" got old after 10 minutes, and I'm Polish.

So my response is what do you really offer the rural audience to keep your spot?

chris

#48 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Honestly, I think Dish should buy out some of these smaller cable companies before Comcast does.
I would say Cablevision , but I'm sure that ship has sailed....

Hah!! The Dolans wouldn't do a deal with Charlie Ergen if he was the last businessman on earth.  They still haven't gotten over Voom.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#49 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

The last couple of years have not been good times for either satellite service.  Honestly, I'm not sure why AT&T really wants DirecTV.  One reason given has been to allow bundling of services, but you can really only do that where AT&T are the ILEC, or an overbuilder.  But AT&T must have some kind of plan.

The reality is that few companies will be interested in ANY cable or satellite company for their TV distribution business.  Dish's best asset is not Dish Network, it's all that wireless spectrum they have been buying up (and what Verizon is interested in).

If Dish were going to buy someone, it would more likely be a Sprint or a T-Mobile - somebody that gives them a jumpstart in the wireless business, and who already have access to towers upon which new transmitters can be placed.  In most urban and suburban areas the most profitable land to own (by revenue per square foot) is the land under a transmitter tower.

The problem with buying Netflix is the same problem DirecTV had when they tried to buy Hulu...no matter how hard to try, if the current owners don't want to sell you're out of luck.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#50 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hah!! The Dolans wouldn't do a deal with Charlie Ergen if he was the last businessman on earth. They still haven't gotten over Voom.

yes that's exactly what I was getting at. lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Except the Dolans did a deal with Dish very recently... so it happens.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#52 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hah!! The Dolans wouldn't do a deal with Charlie Ergen if he was the last businessman on earth.  They still haven't gotten over Voom.

I loved  Voom!

• damondlt likes this

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#53 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

That ordeal signed my note with ever going back to dish, and when they dropped NY sports altogether , that sealed it.
I loved the some of those Voom channels, the HD IMO is better then anything I've seen to date.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,254 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

I don't miss the NY sports networks ... but if the Dolan sports channels were added, THAT would be a sign that DISH and the Dolans were on better terms. Not the AMC and related channel deal.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#55 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

The issue in the NY market isn't just MSG...Dish also doesn't carry SNY or YES and that has nothing to do with the Dolans.

Current setup:

#56 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

And it was among the most acrimonious and drawn out carriage disputes in history.

• damondlt likes this

Current setup:

#57 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

And it was among the most acrimonious and drawn out carriage disputes in history.

Which also involved a lawsuit.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#58 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

And it was among the most acrimonious and drawn out carriage disputes in history.

Yeah...  the thing about it, though, is a potential unintended side-effect of how that deal shook out *should* be positive for Dish.  Consider...

AMC had a lawsuit against Dish for the whole Voom thing.  Meanwhile Dish let the contract for the AMC channels expire because AMC wanted more than Dish wanted to pay.  They argued and spit fire at each other for a few months... then the settlement was a combined thing...  Dish and AMC settled the old Voom lawsuit with verbiage that included the renegotiation of the AMC channels... thus  the old bad blood was legally ended in writing and tied to the new AMC contract.

So... what I'm thinking is...  IF the next Dolan contract for other channels comes up... the Dolans might open themselves up for a lawsuit if they tried to use old bad blood against Charlie... since Charlie could say "we solved all that, remember?" and point to the very public agreement to bury the hatchet and make nice... so there's no past stuff that *should* burden a future negotiation... so Dish would be in a position to cry foul if the Dolans tried to use anything else to twist the knife in a negotiation.

Doesn't mean the Dolans aren't capable of being jerks about it... just seems like Dish might get one final side-bonus out of that last round of fighting.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#59 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

I loved  Voom!

The loss of the VOOM channels, especially MONSTERS HD, was one of two main reasons I left DISH 

#60 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

What deal?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...