Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Building a new Home and Need advise

RVU Samsung Genie Network

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NoviGuy

NoviGuy

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNovi, Michigan

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

Hello everyone this is my first post.  I moved to Michiagn @ 1.5 years ago and we are currently building our dream home. I've had the home "pre-wired" for a future home control system (i.e Sevant or Control4) . I was a Directv customer ever since the beginning (90's) I've not been on Directv since 2012 (living in rental while house under construction) I am planning to use DirecTv  again in my new home.  However I have a few questions on installation and set up as things seem to have changed in the last few years.

1. I will have multiple TV's (8, but not running at same time)  and I really do not want Set-top boxes ($$) as all TVs will be wall mounted.  I am using all Samsung Smart Tv's with (RVU) Supposed to not need set top boxes, is that correct  (Pros -cons?)  I was told in needs something called a DECA (?) to convert everything over coax.  I have everything home run to each TV location and I have 4 RG6 cables run to the attic for connection to Dish location. Is that enough? ( i based this on my old home and the LMB) Is this still approporiate?
  2. Each room/tv location will have (2) RG6, (2) Cat 5, (2) Cat 6.   Does the Genie HAVE TO work over Coax or can I use one of the network cables?  I was hoping not to have to add a bunch of electric outlets behind the TV's for the DECA
  3. Does anyone know of an experienced installer in Novi Michigan?

Thanks in advance for your expertise

Sean

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

1. RVU TVs work with either coax and a DECA adapter (with power supply) or straight ethernet. Keep in mind that one Genie will serve 4 locations at the same time, with the Genie being one of them.

2. The Genie must get coax from the satellite but you can connect ethernet to it for your LAN connection or you can use DECA as well

3. I was told that Solidsignal was out Michigan. They are a good company to deal with.

• NoviGuy likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,007 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

By relying totally on clients, you will have some limitations on supporting 8 viewing locations.

The Genie will serve a maximum of three clients at one time. If the client is watching live TV, it also uses one of the Genie tuners (of which there are 5).  With the Genie at one of the TV locations, serving it directly, you could watch at a maximum of four locations at once (one of which has to be the Genie), and you could record a maximum of two shows, one of which would have to be watched on the Genie local TV.

By using actual receivers at some of the TV locations, you can mitigate some of these limitations. You need to decide the pros and cons of having a set top box at some of the tv locations.

• NoviGuy likes this

#4 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

One word - conduit.  With suspended ceilings where necessary to allow access to the conduit (for example when its a long distance or many turns).  Suspended ceiling doesn't have to look ugly - can get in wood, etc.

Anything you do based on current technology will certainly be obsolete in the not too distant future.

If I were building a dream house today I'd put all the Directv boxes in one place in the basement behind an HDMI matrix switch with HDMI extenders - wired through conduit.

You are aware that you will pay the client subscription fee even for your RVU TVs?

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

On a monhly basis, RVU TV's will have the same $6 per month cost that receivers do.  So, other than any upfront costs, there won't be any savings.  Given the additional cost of RVU enabled Samsungs (over similar non-RVU enabled TV's) there is no saving at all.

Since you need something to plug your TV's into, I assume that there will already be an outlet behind each TV.  So, plugging a DECA converter shouldn't be an issue.  Some of the DirecTV HD receivers are extremely small and can be mounted to the back of a wall mounted TV.  So, keep that in mind when you are making decisions.

Unless you're getting a big house for a very small number of people, for 8 TV's, I think that you will want a Genie, at least 2 HD DVR's,  at least 2 HD receivers and no more than 3 clients.  If there are some TV's where you can be 100% certain that they won't be on at the same time as one another, you can increase the number of clients (as long as those TV's are used as clients).

#6 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hello everyone this is my first post.  I moved to Michiagn @ 1.5 years ago and we are currently building our dream home. I've had the home "pre-wired" for a future home control system (i.e Sevant or Control4) . I was a Directv customer ever since the beginning (90's) I've not been on Directv since 2012 (living in rental while house under construction) I am planning to use DirecTv  again in my new home.  However I have a few questions on installation and set up as things seem to have changed in the last few years.

1. I will have multiple TV's (8, but not running at same time)  and I really do not want Set-top boxes ($$) as all TVs will be wall mounted.  I am using all Samsung Smart Tv's with (RVU) Supposed to not need set top boxes, is that correct  (Pros -cons?)  I was told in needs something called a DECA (?) to convert everything over coax.  I have everything home run to each TV location and I have 4 RG6 cables run to the attic for connection to Dish location. Is that enough? ( i based this on my old home and the LMB) Is this still approporiate?
  2. Each room/tv location will have (2) RG6, (2) Cat 5, (2) Cat 6.   Does the Genie HAVE TO work over Coax or can I use one of the network cables?  I was hoping not to have to add a bunch of electric outlets behind the TV's for the DEC

I just rewired my home I ran (2) RG6 (2) Cat5e and (1) HDMI from every jack to central location (3) RG6 from Central location to Roof . 2 used for Direct tv and 1 used for HD OTA

Cat 5e to a Gig switch at central location. This will cover everything

P1010060.JPG

Edited by Rickt1962, 18 May 2014 - 11:24 AM.

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

I just rewired my home I ran (2) RG6 (2) Cat5e and (1) HDMI from every jack to central location (3) RG6 from Central location to Roof . 2 used for Direct tv and 1 used for HD OTA

I would certainly leave the HDMI per every jack out of the "equation"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Rick -- why 3 RG6 to the roof/2 for DirecTV? I thought if you're going over 8 tuners, you need 4 cables from the dish to the SWM16 as the TS is doing.

TS - You said 4 RG6 to the dish and 2 RG6 to each TV location. So you're second RG6 to each TV location will be for OTA? If so, you have a wire going from your central location to your external HD antenna?

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

Add a wire to the roof for over the air just in case no matter what.

And how many people will be in your house? Parents kids etc? I think it's better to chose equipment based on how it will be used. And where are all the tvs?

#10 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

I would certainly leave the HDMI per every jack out of the "equation"

I agree. Trying to run HDMI over any distance is just asking for trouble. You almost have to install the HDMI cable runs from the get-go because you can't add connectors yourself, so you'd need to pull them through with connectors attached. That would not be easy to do! You can use Redmere cables for long runs, but they're not cheap. Considering the price and hassle of trying to run HDMI, I'd highly recommend you use cat5 HDMI extenders. There's also a new HDbaseT standard coming up soon that would allow plugging a cat5 cable directly into the back of the TV to feed it HDMI. Hopefully it catches on, but you never can tell what will catch on and what won't.

If you use HDMI extenders you can connect TVs to remote receivers hidden in a closet or basement. Sure, you could use a matrix switch, but with only 8 TVs it isn't really cost effective. If it were me, I'd have the Genie and 4 receivers/DVRs connected to 5 TVs via HDMI extenders (using RF remotes) and 3 TVs using RVU. That is going to be the simplest and IMHO best solution.

If some of the RVU TVs are not often used (like guest rooms) you can deactivate them with Directv when not in use to save the monthly fee.

Edited by slice1900, 18 May 2014 - 12:39 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

I will have multiple TV's (8, but not running at same time)  and I really do not want Set-top boxes ($$) as all TVs will be wall mounted.

Ask around before you invest in RVU TVs.

If you really do go this way, any coax could be wasted as no TVs (Samsung or otherwise) currently feature DECA. It isn't certain that they'll be compatible with DIRECTV's wireless solution either.

You should also investigate whether wall mounting is really what you want to do. It may look hip, but there can be compromises if you go ignore the issue of viewing angles (both horizontal and vertical).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

Ask around before you invest in RVU TVs.

If you really do go this way, any coax could be wasted as no TVs (Samsung or otherwise) currently feature DECA. It isn't certain that they'll be compatible with DIRECTV's wireless solution either.

You should also investigate whether wall mounting is really what you want to do. It may look hip, but there can be compromises if you go ignore the issue of viewing angles (both horizontal and vertical).

Directv uses standard wireless. Stop making crap up.

#13 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

You should keep in mind that the farther you deviate from a standard installation the less support you will get from Directv Techs  if there is a problem. You would most likely be left to sort the issue out yourself or hire a third party.

The newer receivers H25's and clients have wall mounts designed to go behind flat screens to keep them out of sight. They also use RF Remotes.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#14 OFFLINE   woollybully

woollybully

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Bulk Cat6 is only about $.05/ft more than Cat5e so why not use that instead? If you can swing it, use Cat6a for future proof although it is currently about twice as much as Cat6. The difference is significant between the standards. Cat5e=100 MHz, Cat6=250 MHz, Cat6a=500MHz. With Cat5/6 you can run many things beyond networking inlcuding HDMI up to 100m, home automation, even centralized LED lighting. IMHO, you cannot run enough Cat5/6 cable to each room. Also, Cat6 will absolutely be the most future proof of any cabling you can run.

3x HR24-500, HR20-100, HR20-700, HR21-100, H21-100, SWM16, DECA, Slimline SL5, Portable Slimline SL5-SWM

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Directv uses standard wireless. Stop making crap up.

So you can guarantee that any RVU capable TV can work fully with DIRECTV's Wireless Video Bridge?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

So you can guarantee that any RVU capable TV can work fully with DIRECTV's Wireless Video Bridge?

Yes.

#17 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

Rick -- why 3 RG6 to the roof/2 for DirecTV? I thought if you're going over 8 tuners, you need 4 cables from the dish to the SWM16 as the TS is doing.

TS - You said 4 RG6 to the dish and 2 RG6 to each TV location. So you're second RG6 to each TV location will be for OTA? If so, you have a wire going from your central location to your external HD antenna?

One is for DTV and the other for FTA and one for Backup incase a wire goes bad during install or lightening hit etc etc since the Outside wire is the hardest to fish through a home. Since I am a Home builder I seen my fair share of oops the staple messed up the wire to the plumber accidently cutting it.

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#18 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

One is for DTV and the other for FTA and one for Backup incase a wire goes bad during install or lightening hit etc etc since the Outside wire is the hardest to fish through a home. Since I am a Home builder I seen my fair share of oops the staple messed up the wire to the plumber accidently cutting it.

So I take it the two coaxes are routed differently? If they aren't, one oops/staple might get them both...

#19 OFFLINE   NoviGuy

NoviGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNovi, Michigan

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

One word - conduit.  With suspended ceilings where necessary to allow access to the conduit (for example when its a long distance or many turns).  Suspended ceiling doesn't have to look ugly - can get in wood, etc.

Anything you do based on current technology will certainly be obsolete in the not too distant future.

If I were building a dream house today I'd put all the Directv boxes in one place in the basement behind an HDMI matrix switch with HDMI extenders - wired through conduit.

You are aware that you will pay the client subscription fee even for your RVU TVs?

Thanks!  Have conduit run to each floor..  Didn't know there was a per/client fee..  Bummer

#20 OFFLINE   NoviGuy

NoviGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNovi, Michigan

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

On a monhly basis, RVU TV's will have the same $6 per month cost that receivers do.  So, other than any upfront costs, there won't be any savings.  Given the additional cost of RVU enabled Samsungs (over similar non-RVU enabled TV's) there is no saving at all.

Since you need something to plug your TV's into, I assume that there will already be an outlet behind each TV.  So, plugging a DECA converter shouldn't be an issue.  Some of the DirecTV HD receivers are extremely small and can be mounted to the back of a wall mounted TV.  So, keep that in mind when you are making decisions.

Unless you're getting a big house for a very small number of people, for 8 TV's, I think that you will want a Genie, at least 2 HD DVR's,  at least 2 HD receivers and no more than 3 clients.  If there are some TV's where you can be 100% certain that they won't be on at the same time as one another, you can increase the number of clients (as long as those TV's are used as clients).

Didn't know there was a per client fee..  hmmm need rethink this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RVU, Samsung, Genie, Network

Protected By... spam firewall...And...