Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting Genie to another location

genie

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Deerhunter

Deerhunter

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

I installed DirectTV at two locations.  These are separate accounts.  One has a Genie (home) and the other merely a receiver (seasonal residence). The installer told me I could take the Genie to the other location and watch my playlist merely by hooking it up to the TV. He said this would work so long as the other location is hooked up to DirectTV.  I have not tried it yet, and I am wondering if this is true and if I will need any special connections.  The seasonal residence does not have an internet connection, so we are not talking about DirectTV Go.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

It may or may not work. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,214 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

Press the - (dash) on the remote.  If both locations show 'SWiM Connected, you should be good to go.  Depending on location, you may not receive your locals.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

If you do not connect the Genie to the dish at the second location, it may or may not work and if it does it may only be for a short period of time.

If you do connect the Genie to the dish at the second location, it should work just fine, so long as both dish types are the same (SWiM, and both are the same 3 or 5 LNB). As dennisj00 notes, locals are on spot beams, so if your two locations are in different markets, you may not get local stations on the Genie at that location.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

The installer told me I could take the Genie to the other location and watch my playlist merely by hooking it up to the TV.

This is exceedingly unlikely.

He said this would work so long as the other location is hooked up to DirectTV.

There are a couple of conditions that would have to be met to make this work and it doesn't sound like the key one will be met: SWiM.

The Genie will need a satellite connection and that can only come from a modern HD dish. It is possible that a location with a single HD receiver could have such a setup, but not entirely likely. If the location currently has an SD receiver, the chances pretty much vanish.

Edited by harsh, 20 May 2014 - 12:29 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

This is exceedingly unlikely.
There are a couple of conditions that would have to be met to make this work and it doesn't sound like the key one will be met: SWiM.

The Genie will need a satellite connection and that can only come from a modern HD dish. It is possible that a location with a single HD receiver could have such a setup, but not entirely likely. If the location currently has an SD receiver, the chances pretty much vanish.

Just wrong.

You can generally get a playlist no matter what eventually for a while. And I see nothing to say he does or doesn't have swim at the other location, so you are just guessing in the negative.

You should really go by more personal experience and less guessing, but then in this case we know you can't since your not a subscriber to directv.
  • jagrim likes this

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

You should really go by more personal experience and less guessing, but then in this case we know you can't since your not a subscriber to directv.

+1

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Just wrong.

You can generally get a playlist no matter what eventually for a while.

Would this be suitable for daily viewing?

And I see nothing to say he does or doesn't have swim at the other location, so you are just guessing in the negative.

It seems more reasonable than assuming a single tuner setup is a SWiM configuration.

Obviously, there is much absent from the OP in terms of details necessary to give a definitive answer which is why I was assigning relative probabilities.

Given your considerable experience with DIRECTV, what's the activation timeout on the Genie and how much does it disable?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

And, as always, a caution to everyone:

hard drives are fragile.  If you are moving your Genie around, BE CAREFUL!!  There is a terabyte of Flipper and The Monkees reruns you want to watch on it.

Don't drop it, shake it, let the kid handle it, don't knock the box over, don't freeze it or bake it.  Don't leave it in a dusty or excessively humid place.

Yada, yada, yada.

:righton:

#10 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

I have HD service at home with two HD DVRs, a Tivo and an SD DVR.  For years I had taken the SD DVR to a vacation home where I had a single LNB dish on a tripod.  No problem, except I was on the edge of the local spot beam and sometimes got it and sometimes not.  The hard drive was never a problem.

If the dish is correct for the genie it will work as a receiver, but that is key.  If you just want to watch recorded shows, I would try disconnecting and booting up at home to see what happens.  I have no idea if that will work, but it used to on at least some DVRs.

#11 OFFLINE   Deerhunter

Deerhunter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thank you to all who replied.  Here is the answer.  I tried it this past weekend and was able to hook up my Genie to my TV and play the movies off my Playlist.  I did have a SWiM configuration that fed the two Standard receivers.  I had no issues on time out

Deerhunter

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the update. Although I would not expect the Genie to behave like this every time 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie

spam firewall