Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Building a new house, need help with pre-wiring

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

I ran good quality speaker wire into the general rooms of the house .

Dont tell me you used the "Monster" kind of "good quality" "oxygen free" speaker wire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'd also add use solid copper core rg6 not copper clad silver.

I think you mean Copper Clad Aluminum... (Silver is the most conductive of metals... you would have virtually no loss, but it's E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E) We use Silver connectors on broadcast connections all of the time. You have to cover them in sealant so they don't tarnish.

#23 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Your contractor can install the surge outlets themselves, cuz thinking about it now, the local surge protectors might not fit inside a recessed outlet.  The main point was to make sure your TVs are protected from surges.

If it's new construction... have a "whole home" surge protector installed. They work better... and then you never have to worry.

#24 OFFLINE   Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

Dont tell me you used the "Monster" kind of "good quality" "oxygen free" speaker wire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a chance.  I just ran 16AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor cable rated for In-Wall installation from Monoprice.  Met my needs, the sound is great, and doesn't break the bank.

My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven’t liked. People on the other hand......

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

You have to cover them in sealant so they don't tarnish.

It certainly doesn't hurt to do the same thing with copper.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

If it's new construction... have a "whole home" surge protector installed. They work better... and then you never have to worry.

Since many surges come from inside the home, you still have to be concerned. Nothing will stop a lightning strike.

With surge protectors scattered about the house, you've got a better shot of clamping a surge from within. Surge protectors are a "the more, the merrier" proposition.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#27 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:30 AM

At least two coax RG6 to every room is a great idea.  Also a CAT6 run to every room.  All meeting at a central location.  And tagged as to where they lead. Mine go to where my electrical box is in my basement.  Internet comes in there as well as the feed from the dish.

If the house is big and you have the devices that I have (2 622's) be prepared to wire in some amps for your TV2 connections. I had to do this.  The picture was not good without them.  And be prepared to deal with the headache of the TV2 remote having trouble reaching the device.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#28 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

A new house and new DISH customer would most likely be getting a Hopper system that would not have those issues.  I agree though 2 coax and CAT6 homerun to every room from a central location.

spam firewall