Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PlayStation 3 gets Dish DVR Virtual Joey app

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

PlayStation 3 gets Dish DVR Virtual Joey app

Dish network subscribers can now control Hopper DVR devices through the PlayStation 3 with the launch of the Virtual Joey app, according to a post on the PlayStation Blog.

Using Virtual Joey, users can access the Hopper through the PS3 via an Ethernet connection without hooking up additional boxes or wires. Users can then watch live shows and sports, DVR recordings and a thousands-strong selection of On Demand titles through their console. The app can be navigated using a Dish remote or DualShock 3 controller....

dish_ps3.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,489 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Are dish remotes Bluetooth? Because the announcement references using the dish remotes and IIRC the PS3 use Bluetooth for its dual shocks remotes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

No. Dish remotes are not Bluetooth. The announcement says either will work.

Edited by thomasjk, 21 May 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,489 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

No. Dish remotes are not Bluetooth. The announcement says either will work.

so how a dish remote would work?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Does a PS3 have IR capability?  The Dish remotes have UHF and IR modes... so maybe the IR mode would work on a PS3?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

Does a PS3 have IR capability?  The Dish remotes have UHF and IR modes... so maybe the IR mode would work on a PS3?

No IR on PS3 you need a dongle.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,489 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Even if you use a dongle the commands must be map to correspond to the PlayStation buttons

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Even if you use a dongle the commands must be map to correspond to the PlayStation buttons

Wouldn't you just use the PS3 remote?
Not the controler, but the remote.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

#9 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Unless they meant to say PS3 remote or DualShock 3 controller not Dish remote, Because I don't know how can a Dish remote work on a PS3 app, unless they meant Dish remote in the VJ app.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#10 OFFLINE   xplocvo

xplocvo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Has anyone got this up and running successfully? Every time I launch it, it gives a message that I need a Hopper to use it. I have the original Hopper (no Sling built in, but I do have the USB adapter), and two Joeys working properly. Do you need to activate the app with Dish directly before it will work?

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,489 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Sent from my Galaxy S5

but the announcement said you can use either.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Has anyone got this up and running successfully? Every time I launch it, it gives a message that I need a Hopper to use it. I have the original Hopper (no Sling built in, but I do have the USB adapter), and two Joeys working properly. Do you need to activate the app with Dish directly before it will work?

I'm assuming there must be some kind of activation required, since they are going to charge you for it... how else would be be on your account to charge you unless there was an activation required?  I don't know how all that works, though, since it is pretty new and I haven't yet heard of anyone actually getting one up and running.

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

but the announcement said you can use either.

But why would you?  PS3 remote would make more sense.

I wouldn't use a Directv remote on an RVU TV. I would use a Harmony or the Samsung remote.

Thats kind of the point of it.

When I'm using my PS3 for watching a Blu Ray or streaming Netflix, I'm not using a Directv remote or Dish remote, i'm using my PS3 remote.

#14 OFFLINE   xplocvo

xplocvo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'm assuming there must be some kind of activation required, since they are going to charge you for it... how else would be be on your account to charge you unless there was an activation required?  I don't know how all that works, though, since it is pretty new and I haven't yet heard of anyone actually getting one up and running.

Ahh, I didn't see anything about having to pay for it. That seems kind of silly, I guess the point of using this instead of getting another Joey would be to have one less thing hooked up.

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Ahh, I didn't see anything about having to pay for it. That seems kind of silly, I guess the point of using this instead of getting another Joey would be to have one less thing hooked up.

The article I read said it was free. Guess not?

#16 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Here it is.

http://www.cnet.com/...tation-android/

The other bit of the news that's sure to get some attention is that Dish will be bringing its Virtual Joey app to Sony's PS3 and PS4, enabling owners of those game consoles to use them as virtual Dish set-top boxes so long as they have a Dish Hopper subscription (it's an easy way to add a Joey to another room or TV without having to pay the monthly fee for the box).

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

I remember we originally speculated that it ought to be free, but figured Dish would be charging for it...  I mean, since they charge for a physical Joey... it seems odd for Dish to give something away like that, even if it would be good for business.

So... on the off change that they have made it free...  bugs aside, the only reason I could think of for it not to just "work" would be IF your PS3 isn't on the same subnet as your Hopper.  The original Hopper has ethernet but not WiFi (unless you have the WiFi dongle)... whereas a PS3 has both WiFi and ethernet.  Some routers isolate WiFi and "wired" and don't allow cross communications unless you specifically configure it that way...  so this could be your problem too.

#18 OFFLINE   xplocvo

xplocvo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

I just chatted online with them, and they confirmed that it needs to be activated on the account for $7 a month. Boooooo.

#19 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

When I first tried it I received that message and then realized I didn't have the PS3 on the same subnet as my Hoppers. After I rectified that and restarted the VJ app it came up asking which Hopper I wanted to link it to. I selected one and it came up with an activation code and instructions to call Dish to have it activated, when I read that it costs $7 a month I didn't bother with it anymore as I don't need that functionality - I already have two Hoppers. I may have been able to do a little bit more with it activated (three discrete live shows versus two on my three TVs) but it's not worth the extra money for me. 

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

I remember we originally speculated that it ought to be free, but figured Dish would be charging for it...  I mean, since they charge for a physical Joey...

You won ! they charging same $7 !!!

damn... dish is still the same Scrooge

Protected By... spam firewall...And...