Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Amazon invites customers to try Fire TV free for a month

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,475 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Amazon invites customers to try Fire TV free for a month

Amazon is emailing some of its customers with an offer to try out the $99 Fire TV box free-of-charge for 30 days. If they don't get along with the little Android-powered streamer and gaming console, they can return it without obligation and without being left out of pocket -- so long as they follow the conditions of Amazon's returns policy, which includes keeping the hardware in new condition....

fire-tv-lead.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

They've had that option for years.  This just seems like a ploy on Amazon's part to sell more of them.

Rich

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,326 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

They've had that option for years.  This just seems like a ploy on Amazon's part to sell more of them.

I don't recall where Amazon has actively promoted test driving something. To me, the return policy has always been more of a safety net.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

This type of offers are always made to take advantage of customers because they know the customer will forget to return it just don't want to deal with the hassle of sending back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

I don't recall where Amazon has actively promoted test driving something. To me, the return policy has always been more of a safety net.

Yeah, I don't recall Amazon doing something like this either.  It surprised me when I saw the announcement.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

This type of offers are always made to take advantage of customers because they know the customer will forget to return it just don't want to deal with the hassle of sending back

Kinda bothers me that Amazon would do something like that.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Rich

I guess is one way they see fit to compete with other streaming boxes on the market now

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

I received the offer via email yesterday, and it's tempting as hell. I already have a Roku XS that serves up all the content I watch (Netflix, Amazon, Plex, Vudu and Funimation). I also have an Apple TV 2 that I use for AirPlay and Netflix (because I prefer Apple TV's Netflix interface over the Roku's). I don't plan on getting rid of either of these boxes. I'm very soon to be retired and have a Roku channel planned, so I'd want a Roku box for that if for nothing else.

The hardware specs of the FireTV are damned impressive, but most reviews have been tepid because many apps apparently feel half-baked. I'd like to have the FireTV for the "sexier" Plex interface, and for the tight Amazon Instant integration.

Yes, this offer is tempting as hell...

#9 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Rich

Why? Companies do it all the time. For instance, DIRECTV and Dish do it with free term-premium channel offers.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,326 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Why? Companies do it all the time. For instance, DIRECTV and Dish do it with free term-premium channel offers.

The difference is that in order to get out of the free movie deal, you call and cancel. Re-boxing and returning a product is another level of difficulty.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,826 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

The difference is that in order to get out of the free movie deal, you call and cancel. Re-boxing and returning a product is another level of difficulty.

It's a 5 minute process - that's not difficult.

• Rich likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 394 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

They already know that a large percentage of takers of this and other offers will feel like you and just keep their product.  However,  a couple of minutes to repack the device doesn't seem to be that much of a deal.

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

Anyone who regularly uses amazon won't see returning it as an obsticale.
  • Rich likes this

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

It's a 5 minute process - that's not difficult.

Right.  I've returned every streaming device I've bought in the last couple years.  I do have a couple old Rokus around, but I'm gonna throw them out.  Why have I returned all those boxes?  They don't upscale.  My BD players upscale streaming content beautifully and I'd rather use them.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,209 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

"Fire" only searches within the Amazon instant video library. I'll wait for

Roku 4v that will voice-search across most of Roku's major movie and

tv providers including Amazon. Even tho'  I currently sub to many movie

and tv sources, it just so happens that most of the films that I stream are

from Netflix, Hulu, Epix and Snag.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#16 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

Bought it when it came out and then returned it.  Doesn't give me anything I care about over my roku 3 and is missing several things I do.  And the plex app on it is borked and to my knowledge it's never been fixed.

Looking forward to trying out the new android tv.

#17 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

I took advantage of the fireTV "free test drive" offer and am glad I did - bacause now I know that I'm not really missing anything. For Amazon Prime it's sweet, the voice search works well, as does instant start. The problem of course is that these features don't work with other apps. And speaking of apps, thre just aren't many video apps available on the fireTV, not many at all. Key ones for me that are missing that I use frequently are Vudu and Funimation. The killer for me though is that the remote is Bluetooth only, so I can't program my Harmony remotes for the unit. I use an HDMI splitter to feed a second HD TV in my bedroom, and having to remember to carry the remote with me is a PITA. Yes, I could buy a second remote - for about 1/3 the cost of the unit, but really, I don't want to have to use more than my Harmony remotes.

I'm going to return the unit and stick with my Roku XS until Roku announces their next move, which will hopefully included beefier specs and voice search across many content providers.

spam firewall