Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2014 National Memorial Day Concert

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

2014_memorial_day.jpg

Be sure to set your timers for this Sunday on your PBS station. Here's the promo

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

The last Capitol Fourth was a bit of a disappointment.

I'd like to see less "pop" and make sure they squeeze in all of the Armed Forces Hymns. We musn't lose sight of what we're celebrating.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,650 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

I wonder how much PBS is influenced by government funding....This looks like a tribute piece, not that there's anything wrong with that.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

The Memorial Day Concert is what it is supposed to be. From Wikipedia:

Memorial Day is a US federal holiday wherein the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces are remembered. The holiday, which is celebrated every year on the final Monday of May, was formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.

...Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

From the PBS website:

The concert’s mission is to unite the country in remembrance and appreciation of the fallen and to serve those who are grieving.  Executive Producer Jerry Colbert says, “We think of the agony of the mother or father who lost a child, the spouses and children left behind, the people who are wounded in body and soul. And we do this memorial service to remember and reach out to them. We must remember their sacrifices and continue the mission set forth by Abraham Lincoln to ‘care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan.’”

I doubt PBS decided to carry this annual event because of the influence of government money. It's a better show than the Fourth of July show, but there is enough cynic in me to flinch during the sponsorship listing. Guess why:

The National Memorial Day Concert is sponsored by Lockheed Martin Corporation and made possible by the National Park Service, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Department of the Army, General Dynamics and public television stations nationwide. All travel is provided by American Airlines.

Nonetheless we record it every year because it's usually a very good show and watch it on Memorial Day as it helps us to remember my wife's sister.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,650 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, phrelin. I guess my cynicism went overboard.... 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...