Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Solar Roadways

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

Solar Roadways

• tsmacro likes this
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

Awesome video. And I love the idea too.

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

I hope they included sensors / transducers necessary for auto-driving vehicles.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

An interesting idea but one that would have to be rolled out overnight. Imagine what happens when studded tires or tire chains meet glass.

I'm not sold that these panels would survive rock or tree falls.

I don't want to be riding my motorcycle or bicycle on wet glass because at some point, the glass will surely become smooth.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

Looking at the design data it appears that many potential problems have been solved albeit at the expense of the efficiency of the panels in generating electricity. There are certainly enough parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, etc., to give this a good test. Even though my initial concerns would be is (1) the availability of enough recycled glass and (2) the cost of maintenance for a country like the ours full of people that won't fund through taxes the maintenance of it's bridges and roads now because they need the iPhone 6 to replace the iPhone 5.9 they bought last week, I'm impressed.

Also, though not important, the song at the end can be heard here.

Edited by phrelin, 24 May 2014 - 11:56 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

After driving 300 miles today and thinking about this in the almost bumper to bumper traffic at 80+mph, I think this would be a great national project once it is proven.  Similar to the CCCs of the 30s and the Interstate system by Eisenhower. . . a great job provider from construction, manufacturing, to high tech for 50 years or so.  Or longer including maintenance.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

I wonder if it can interact with enhance 911. 

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

I would think bridges would be the first place to instal this system. 

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

I hope they where careful with the estimations. If a car is sitting on top if it it won't be producing power. The key is I see those panels look small and they are using micro inverters so that would Maximize their power output.

#10 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

I hope they where careful with the estimations. If a car is sitting on top if it it won't be producing power. The key is I see those panels look small and they are using micro inverters so that would Maximize their power output.

Y, it's all about the numbers.  Each 3x5' (roughly) panels I have on the roof produce 225 watts PEAK for a few minutes a day but in less than 3 years have produced 10+ MEGA watt Hours of electricity.

These hexagonal panels probably produce a max of 10 watts or less PEAK for a few minutes a day, but with probably thousands per mile in a single lane.  And a car passing over it is only a second or less.  Parking lots would be different.

My 250 watt microinverter is a 1 square foot x 1 inch  embedded electronic device under each panel.  The inverter on this hex panel would be less than the size of a thumb drive.

I'd rip my driveway up tomorrow if these were available at a 10 year breakeven price.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Awesome video. But unfortunately the oil lobbyists won't let the dream come true. Too much for them to loose

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Y, it's all about the numbers. Each 3x5' (roughly) panels I have on the roof produce 225 watts PEAK for a few minutes a day but in less than 3 years have produced 10+ MEGA watt Hours of electricity.

These hexagonal panels probably produce a max of 10 watts or less PEAK for a few minutes a day, but with probably thousands per mile in a single lane. And a car passing over it is only a second or less. Parking lots would be different.

My 250 watt microinverter is a 1 square foot x 1 inch embedded electronic device under each panel. The inverter on this hex panel would be less than the size of a thumb drive.

I'd rip my driveway up tomorrow if these were available at a 10 year breakeven price.

Enphase? Look carefully at the video. They showed enphase inverters the same size as the ones you have now. ;).

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

That may have been just for proof of concept. . . Just like a 12volt low wattage inverter for your car is the size of a wall wart that plugs in your cigarette lighter (accessory power now), there's no reason for the micro inverter to be that big.

Electronics scale very well and this should really be a Micro (read smaller) inverter!

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Not sure why you assume that as it'd cost less most likely to use those and they have plenty of room for them. But that's the last thing to worry about with this ends out IMHO.

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

There's just a BIG difference in making prototypes or designing a production unit for millions / billions of units.  In that kind of production volume a nickel difference in a connector or custom SOC makes a big difference.

There are so many other factors in large production runs . .  shipping weight, heat generation / dissipation, form-factor just to name a few.

Look at the Apple TV puck and Google's Chromecast. . . fundamentally the same capability (although I don't use the ChromeCast I have) but significant difference in size and cost.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

All true (although apple is probably a bad example as the cost difference there is apple charges a premium for everything for software) but they will want a modular system for sure and as far as heat bigger may dissipate easier than a tiny one.

Obviously the inverters themselves aren't prototypes. And my real point is that's already a universal and easy to use system. It's completely plug and play which i am sure they will want.

It will be interesting to see
If they actually build a couple lots and such and see if this works well.

#17 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

Ok I didn't see this before I posted another thread in the OT section about this, I even tried searching it before I posted to see if it had been posted yet and got nothing. But anyway here's my posts from that thread to add to the discussion: 

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 PM

So apparently this is a real thing, not just one of those "too good to be true on the internet things". I must say if this is actually feasable it could be one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time!

http://www.solarroad...com/intro.shtml

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Rich, on 30 May 2014 - 1:15 PM, said:snapback.png

Wow!  Too bad most of us won't live long enough to see this implemented throughout the country.  Seems like the perfect solution to our energy needs.  That alone will probably doom it.

Rich

I kind of wondered about the whole big energy companies trying to squash it. However if any of them have any kind of sense they'll embrace it and become road construction and maintenance companies. I mean think about it, big energy company says to the inventor of the solar road panels hey we'll buy as many of these things as you can produce as fast as you can produce them. Then they turn around and approach cities, states and countries and say we will repave and maintain your roads. The governments get the savings of not having to take care of their own roads and the energy company gets to charge for the electricity those roads generate. It's either that or litlle by little, businesses and municipalities on their own start installing these solar road panels and generating their own energy and cutting the energy companies out of the picture. Seems like it would be in the big energy companies best interests to take the lead in implementing this technology rather than fighting against it. But what do I know? In the world we live in now where companies are more worried about this quarter's profit margins than their long-term viability they could decided to throw an army of money and lawyers trying to undermine it if they felt that would cost them less right now.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Ok I didn't see this before I posted another thread in the OT section about this, I even tried searching it before I posted to see if it had been posted yet and got nothing. But anyway here's my posts from that thread to add to the discussion: 

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 PM

So apparently this is a real thing, not just one of those "too good to be true on the internet things". I must say if this is actually feasable it could be one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time!

http://www.solarroad...com/intro.shtml

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Rich, on 30 May 2014 - 1:15 PM, said:snapback.png

I kind of wondered about the whole big energy companies trying to squash it. However if any of them have any kind of sense they'll embrace it and become road construction and maintenance companies. I mean think about it, big energy company says to the inventor of the solar road panels hey we'll buy as many of these things as you can produce as fast as you can produce them. Then they turn around and approach cities, states and countries and say we will repave and maintain your roads. The governments get the savings of not having to take care of their own roads and the energy company gets to charge for the electricity those roads generate. It's either that or litlle by little, businesses and municipalities on their own start installing these solar road panels and generating their own energy and cutting the energy companies out of the picture. Seems like it would be in the big energy companies best interests to take the lead in implementing this technology rather than fighting against it. But what do I know? In the world we live in now where companies are more worried about this quarter's profit margins than their long-term viability they could decided to throw an army of money and lawyers trying to undermine it if they felt that would cost them less right now.

I know some people that work for those big energy companies.  They went from the corporation I worked for to the energy companies and were astounded at how much money those companies had to spend and didn't seem to know what to spend it on. Those are the kind of companies to work for.  On a personal basis, of course.  I'd think they'd fight tooth and nail to keep things as they are.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

Tonight, it made my local news.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#20 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

come on, I would love this, but glass like tiles for roads in winter states? NEVER going to work. If you thought pot holes were a problem...

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo