Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cost to move from Hopper/Joey 1.0 to Hopperw/Sling/Suoer Joey

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

I can't ever seem to find pricing on the Dish site.  I can see that I pay $10 for DRV service and $7 for the Joey on my current plan for a lease.  I've had this stuff for 2 years, so think I shoud be able to get new stuff on a new lease.  

In one review, I saw the super joey was $10 per month (so $3 extra).  Is that my only extra charge?

I don't plan to actually sling programs, but I would like to dump shows to my iPad.  I think I need a Hopper/sling for that app.  I hope I don't need anotehr monthy fee though.

If its only $3 per month and another 2 year deal, I'm in.  For details, I think I'd just need to dump any programs I want to save to a EHD.  The timers are lost i guess?  Back in the day I had a 622 where the Joey sits, so I have coax to the dish.  Then, the OTA module shoud move right over too.  Did I miss anything?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by chriscpmtmp, 26 May 2014 - 07:41 AM.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

Follow the sticky for contacting DIRT they can give you the information.  You can chat or call a CSR to get the information, DISH looks at your account to determine your upgrade fee there isn't a standard fee.

#3 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

Follow the sticky for contacting DIRT they can give you the information.  You can chat or call a CSR to get the information, DISH looks at your account to determine your upgrade fee there isn't a standard fee.

yea, but I like to be prepared before I talk to them.  i think the monthly fees shoud be somewhere, right?

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor

#4 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

I believe you are correct on the monthly fees, an extra $3 for the SJ.   Your timers should be backed up in your remote and will download to your new HWS.  Upgrade prices are at worst reasonable.  Many, myself included have upgraded from original to HWS for free, some paid as much as $50 I believe.  As far as SJ goes, not sure what folks are paying to upgrade since it hasn't been around that long.

#5 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

I believe you are correct on the monthly fees, an extra $3 for the SJ.   Your timers should be backed up in your remote and will download to your new HWS.  Upgrade prices are at worst reasonable.  Many, myself included have upgraded from original to HWS for free, some paid as much as $50 I believe.  As far as SJ goes, not sure what folks are paying to upgrade since it hasn't been around that long.

Thanks.

So the new Hopper doesn't cost any more per month?

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor

#6 OFFLINE   xplocvo

xplocvo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

I chatted online with them and was given the following info about this topic - 

"There's no upfront upgrade charge for the receivers, there would only be a $10 monthly charge added in place of one of your Joey charges, so the total increase is $3 per month. The Hopper w/Sling doesn't add any cost. Upgrading does require a 24 month agreement, and installation is $95 without the Protection Plan, or $15 with the Protection Plan."

#7 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

I chatted online with them and was given the following info about this topic - 

"There's no upfront upgrade charge for the receivers, there would only be a $10 monthly charge added in place of one of your Joey charges, so the total increase is $3 per month. The Hopper w/Sling doesn't add any cost. Upgrading does require a 24 month agreement, and installation is $95 without the Protection Plan, or $15 with the Protection Plan."

Thanks.  I added the protection and its only $15 to install.  Only a new comitment.  They are installing tomorrow.  I'm excited.  We get a few times where there is a conflict.  That will be gone.  Plus I think the super Joey lets me run an EHD upstairs too.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor

#8 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

The ehd is accessible to the Hopper connected to or any linked Joeys. You can't connect the ehd directly to the Super Joey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using DBSTalk mobile app

#9 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:59 AM

You are right.  I wonder what the eSATA port is for?  Bummer they didnt; add PIP in teh Super Joey.

The install was a pain, but its done.  I did the installs for my old 622s when they came out.  I had 2 wires going to 2 622s - so 4 to the dish from two places.  With the original Hopper install, the installer used those wires and rearranged them.  They extras got all mixed up so for this one he/we couldn't find an extra wire from the dish.  The installer insisted the new wire needed to go to the node, which worked, but he ran it back to the Super Joey with a diplexer type thing.  I think its all the same in the end.  We could have used the antenna wire if a diplexer would have worked though.  That is what I did with the older stuff.  He said it wouldn't work though, so he ran a partial new wire from the dish.

I'm glad i didn't get a big bill, but the installers always get hosed working on my house.  I'd rather do the inside stuff myself, then have them do the outside stuff.  I never know what they are goign to through at me next though.  Every 2-3 years its a new setup.  I think I'm on my 6th configuration configuration of dishes since I started in 2000.  The latest - a single eastern arc is the best though.

The ehd is accessible to the Hopper connected to or any linked Joeys. You can't connect the ehd directly to the Super Joey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using DBSTalk mobile app

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor

spam firewall