Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Signal Strength Nor Cal......?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

Sorry, probably an old topic but.....does anyone have specific optimal signal strength reading for Northern California, 150 miles north of San Francisco, semi coastal, I'm hovering around 50 currently depending on the time of day. I've noticed several of the SF locals are blotchy with occasional audio out of sync, KTVU, KRON and KGO sometimes, this started about a month ago...using the Hopper, 110, 119, 129. 50 or so on 119 and 110, 25 to 35 on 129....HD

Thank you

Edited by 356B, 24 May 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

I'm in the redwoods just west of Willits and those signal strength readings are about normal for us. We are getting some signal drop because of trees and the high afternoon winds we've been having for the past couple of weeks.

Unfortunately for us, we get 110° and 119° by aiming one Dish 500 in a hole between two redwoods which causes some problems with 119° in high gusty wind conditions. And we had to use a separate dish which is located on the house in a different spot which gets a shot at 129° at the edge of another redwood which also suffers at times from high gusty winds like we're having as I write this.

Don't know if that's related to your problem but we do see occasional picture breakups though I haven't noticed any sound problems.  But then we have a 722 and a 612, not a Hopper.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm in the redwoods just west of Willits and those signal strength readings are about normal for us. We are getting some signal drop because of trees and the high afternoon winds we've been having for the past couple of weeks.

Unfortunately for us, we get 110° and 119° by aiming one Dish 500 in a hole between two redwoods which causes some problems with 119° in high gusty wind conditions. And we had to use a separate dish which is located on the house in a different spot which gets a shot at 129° at the edge of another redwood which also suffers at times from high gusty winds like we're having as I write this.

Don't know if that's related to your problem but we do see occasional picture breakups though I haven't noticed any sound problems.  But then we have a 722 and a 612, not a Hopper.

No trees, but during the day it is the most noticeable, I've got an alignment coming, 129 seems low to me.

Thank you,

Chas.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

No trees, but during the day it is the most noticeable, I've got an alignment coming, 129 seems low to me.

Thank you,

Chas.

It's good to have someone check it.  I believe the HD locals are on 119° except for KQED which is on 129°.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

if it your permanent place, I would use three 1m[39"] dishes; it will help you cope with low signal during rainy days

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

We have some problems on History Channel going off at times. We have a 722.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

Here in Santa Rosa, my numbers are in the 60s for 110 and 119 and mostly in the 50s for 129.

I have two dishes, one for 110 and 119 and a separate one for 129.

Seems like you should get some improvement by tweaking the dish, or dishes, if you have more than one.

I'm pondering the idea of getting one of the newer dishes with three LNBFs but don't want to go the the trouble if it wouldn't give me

any gain in signal.

Brian

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people. 
I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#8 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Update:

I had Dish out and was pleased to see that the dish was out of alignment. I ended up with 119 at 62, 110 at 50, and 129 at 51. Needless to say, PQ has improved.

Thanks for the comments.

Chas.

Thank you and
Best of luck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...