Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dead HDMI output

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

My old 65" rear projection died last week.  After having it hauled away I moved an LCD TV from my office to the living room temporarily while I decide which 4K Ultra TV to buy.  Hooked my 622 receiver up via HDMI and got "no signal".  Using component input for now but when I get a new TV I want to use HDMI input.  

I tried another TV and another HDMI cable but it appears the 622's HDMI output is dead.  Checking HDMI status I see:

RxKsv:  00 00 00 00 00 (Invalid)

TxKsv:  a0 06 db d2 af (Valid)

at:0, rp:0, au:0. v:1.0, ri:0, pj:0

Reset HDMI button is grayed out so I can't even try that.

This is the oldest of my 622s.  Installed the first year they were available.  I recall reading about problems with the HDMI connector breaking on some.  Probably the problem here.  

I could probably get DISH to send me a replacement but maybe it's time to upgrade to Hopper/Joey system.  Anything else I can try before making that call?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

If you've tried different cables and different TVs... it does seem likely you have a hardware issue with that 622.  I'm not sure what else beyond what you've already tried might help.  Was it working with the old TV that died over HDMI?  That part wasn't clear to me from your post... I was just wondering if there could be a relation between the two failures.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

If you've tried different cables and different TVs... it does seem likely you have a hardware issue with that 622.  I'm not sure what else beyond what you've already tried might help.  Was it working with the old TV that died over HDMI?  That part wasn't clear to me from your post... I was just wondering if there could be a relation between the two failures.

The old TV was 13 years old and had to be connected by component but for a couple years I had another TV in the next room connected to the HDMI.  Would occasionally lose signal but restarting everything would get it going again.  Then one day it stopped altogether.  I wasn't sure if it was the TV or the cable or the DVR until now.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Sounds like me and one of my older HDTVs...  I had a non-HDMI HDTV too... so I never knew if my original 622 had a faulty HDMI connector or not.  By the time I had an HDTV with HDMI support, that original 622 had failed and had to be replaced... so I never knew if I had your scenario.

I guess you mainly have to decide whether you want to stick with the 622 or change your setup entirely.

It might be easier in some ways, if Dish will replace your 622 for free, to get that taken care of while you are thinking... so that if/when you decide on an equipment upgrade you will be returning a fully functional 622 to Dish instead of one with a known problem.

#5 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

After giving it some thought I decided to ask DISH to replace my 622, which was covered by the protection plan.  Didn't seem worth the trouble for either of us to re-wire the house for an upgrade to Hoppers and Joeys when we'll be moving in a few months.  The replacement 622 shipped and will be here Monday or Tuesday.  

I have one other question.  I've achrived all recordings from the old 622 on a WD My Book AV.  When I hook the EHD to the replacement 622 I assume its going to ask to reformat.  When I answer "No" will the receiver then recognize the EHD or do I have to do something else?

Only other inconvenience with this swap will be losing the recording schedule.  I'll make a list but programs not currently airing, like White Collar, will have to be added when they start up again.  Hope I don't miss one.

#6 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

If your replacement 622 is activated to the same account as the old one, it should be recognized and functionable.

Your new 622 should have the same house code as your old one.

You could write down the old house code for reference to see if the new 622 has the same code once activated.

I've been on Hoppers for a while so can't remember where the house code is but you should be able to find it.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

If it does ask you to reformat, you have a problem.  Saying "no" will prevent it from being formatted again, but you will not have access to the recordings.

Make sure you activate your new 622 first... make sure it works... then deactivate the old one from your account.  Heck, I'd go so far as to test out the EHD with the new 622 before deactivating the old one even.

In some cases you have to ask Dish to "hit" your receiver again after an activation to get the EHD recognized.

#8 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:26 AM

Replacement 622 arrived and activated just fine.  Don't see My Media at the top of My Recordings list the way it had been but can access the EHD from item 4 the main menu or from item 6 in Dish on Demand menu.  Tested playing from EHD and restoring to DVR and playing.  Both worked fine.  Haven't sent anything to the EHD yet.  Wondering if that will put My Media into my the My Recordings list once I do it.  May test that later today.

Smoothest replacement I've ever done.  I did remember the nightmare of the replacing my other 622 in 2012.  Turned out the replacement, which even Dish thought was defective, was just fine but we wasted almost 2 weeks before a tech sent to the house figured out the problem.  So today the first thing I did after unpacking the replacement was open the card slot door, remove the card, and reinsert it.  That was the problem in 2012.  A card that had come loose in transit.  Tech sent here said he had encountered the problem several times.  This one seemed fine but I wasn't taking any chances.  

No more changes (I hope) until we move and then upgrade to Hopper.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Did you check the firmware version on the 622 (the new one)?  Sometimes they don't send replacements with the latest firmware... so that *could* explain the difference in the GUI you encountered with the EHD connection.  IF my guess is right, that should self-correct one of the first nights you have it in standby.

#10 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:00 AM

Sounds like maybe the software is really old or maybe it's in test mode? I would try resetting factory defaults and also verify your software is current.

#11 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Still having a problem.  I installed the EHD a few days before the replacement 622 arrived.  Immediately when I pressed DVR button on remote and then pressed it a second time to open My Recordings on the first line of the recording list was My Media.  From there I could access the EHD to play or restore recordings.  Pretty simple.  I never looked at item 6 on the Dish on Demand menu or item 4 on the main menu because I didn't need to.  

Since I installed the replacement 622 I don't have My Media on the recording list.  I have to access the EHD from one of those two menus.  It works but it's a pain.

Old 622 should have been up to date on everything because I let it autoupdate and never blocked anything.  Compared replacement to my second 622 to be sure everything is the same.  Software:  L730RBGB-N on both  Boot Strap:  1731RBGB on both.  Difference on DNASP, although I don't know what that is.  Replacement is DNASP:  241DshH09.  My second 622 is DNASP:  552DshN09.

Also found a setup item to allow recording to ERD.  It is disabled but I don't know it if was on the old receiver.  I tried enabling it but it didn't make My Media appear in the recordings list.  I've also tried a power button reboot without success.

Sure would like to solve this mystery.  Working from the recordings list is a lot easier than jumping around menus.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,715 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

ERD is not EHD (it's VCR, DVRW etc) DNASP been discussed - it's a revision of SW inside a card, it affect your subscription, but EHD functionality

#13 OFFLINE   d_cubed

d_cubed

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee,WI

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Turn on groups and it will show upin MY Recordings

#14 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:03 AM

Turn on groups and it will show upin MY Recordings

Thank you!  That did it.  Groups were used on the old 622 but I hadn't done anything with them on the replacement because everything I had grouped had been sent to the EHD.  Thanks again.  I would never have thought about that. When I spoke to Tech Support the rep apparently didn't know about it either.

#15 OFFLINE   d_cubed

d_cubed

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee,WI

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

3HaloODST had passed that ifo to me awile back so I thought I'd just pass it forward.

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

In regards to the new TV, go BIG !!!!!

HUGE is good too, and don't rule out ENORMOUS !!!!!!!!!!!

:coffee

spam firewall