Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Saving Timers & New(er) DVRs?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ggulch

ggulch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

1st topic - Has Dish ever come up with a way for users to save timers and transfer them to a replacement DVR? One of my 622s is doing random frequent reboots, sometimes in the middle of a recording, so it's being replaced.

2nd topic - We're moving in a couple of months and I'm planning on getting new DVRs. The new place is wired for HDMI (and everything else, too). I'll use a HDMI matrix router to send HDMI from either DVR to any of 4 primary TVs. The DVRs will be rack mounted in the room with my editing computers so I can dump programming directly into them.

The question is which DVRs to get? I do want to be able to record OTA from the networks.

TIA,

Ron

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

On your first question, newer Dish DVRs do backup settings and timers to the remote control... so you can restore them if you swap receivers.  I don't think there is any retroactive compatibility, though, for Dish receivers that currently do not support the feature.

As to "what DVR" to get... it depends on how you view your TV and what features you like.  The Hopper/Joey setup is the latest and greatest...  you ought to read up in our Hopper/Joey forum here and see what people are saying there about it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall