Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Don't you hate it...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

... when you see a movie trailer that looks really interesting until you realize it stars Tom Cruise?
  • phuongnguyen993 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

Yeah.

Like when you learn that Jack Reacher, described in the Lee Child books as 6'5" and around 230 lbs, is going to be played by Tom Cruise.

I saw the movie (Red Box) and he did a better job than I thought possible. But part of the Reacher character is his size. Something Tom Cruise just can't match.

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Never read the book so I had no problem with it. Looking forward to his new movie which sounds like Groundhog Day at war.

#4 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

I dunno.......I like Tom Cruise!!!

I got the movie RISKY BUSINESS on VHS a few months ago and he is pretty good!!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

I had the same reaction to Tom Cruise as Reacher. The Jack Reacher series of books were my first reads on the Kindle my wife had given me for Christmas several years ago. Reading ALL the books gives you a fairly deep insight as to what the character should be like. You even develop a picture. Tom Cruise would have been OK if he was a foot taller. Jim Caviezel might have been a good Reacher.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I had the same reaction to Tom Cruise as Reacher. The Jack Reacher series of books were my first reads on the Kindle my wife had given me for Christmas several years ago. Reading ALL the books gives you a fairly deep insight as to what the character should be like. You even develop a picture. Tom Cruise would have been OK if he was a foot taller. Jim Caviezel might have been a good Reacher.

"Personal" due out 9/2/14. I think preorder right now is $11.84.

#7 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

I guess I just can't get past seeing Cruise as a cocky frat guy, even when he does a fairly decent acting job. I can't seem to suspend my disbelief, especially when he's in an action movie - i don't find him believable in those roles. It's not just because of his lack of physical stature - I thought Matt Damon did an excellent job in the Bourne movies - it's his cocky attitude that seems to come bubbling to the top in every movie he's in, regardless of whether it fits the role.

His Mission Impossible movies didn't help. From what I remember of the original TV series, it was focused on out-witting and out-thinking the team's target. The movies not only lost the team aspect, the ones I managed to watch were mostly generic action films that used masks whenever they needed a way to pull themselves out of the plot holes they'd dug. They used a few parts and pieces from the TV show (masks, self-destructing recordings), but the away the heart (team concept, brains and technology over brute force). Not bad for generic action films, but not good Mission Impossible films.

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

I haven't wanted to watch any Tom Cruise films since "Cocktail" -- I liked the film and

Bryan Brown's character, but I disliked Cruise' character and portrayal in that film. But

it was when Cruise married and defiled my longtime movie sweetheart Katie Holmes

that I drew the line and issued a fatwah on him.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

I haven't wanted to watch any Tom Cruise films since "Cocktail" -- I liked the film and

Bryan Brown's character, but I disliked Cruise' character and portrayal in that film. But

it was when Cruise married and defiled my longtime movie sweetheart Katie Holmes

that I drew the line and issued a fatwah on him.

I'd agree with you, but I've never seen a Cruise movie that I didn't like.  Kinda hate to admit that since I don't really think too much of him off stage, but I've enjoyed all his movies.  

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

I am not going to miss a Sci-Fi movie because Tom Cruise is in it. But I am not going to watch a drama or comedy that has Tom Cruise in it.

In comparison, I will not watch any movie of any type that has Jim Carrey in it.

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Well I enjoyed edge of tomorrow. Was entertaining for me.

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,895 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

While not a fan of Tom Cruise I enjoyed his work in "Collateral". Was a nice change of pace seeing him play a villain. Also liked him in "Oblivion". 

• Rich likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

I am not going to miss a Sci-Fi movie because Tom Cruise is in it. But I am not going to watch a drama or comedy that has Tom Cruise in it.

In comparison, I will not watch any movie of any type that has Jim Carrey in it.

Fortunately, he doesn't seem to do them anymore.  Seems like all his movies are SF now.  I really liked Oblivion.  Carrey, I find kinda creepy, but I did like The Truman Show.  He suffers from some kind of hyperactivity syndrome.  

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

If you look at Tom Cruises recent movies, you'll note he's in the middle of production and direction. I think these SciFi action flicks are an attempt to hold on to youth.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

If you look at Tom Cruises recent movies, you'll note he's in the middle of production and direction. I think these SciFi action flicks are an attempt to hold on to youth.

Good point.  Whatever his reasons, he does pick good scripts.  I watched War of the Worlds the other day on a BD for the first time. That's a pretty good movie too.  I had seen it before, of course, but never on a BD.  

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Or attract another young impressionable hottie...

#17 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

iNDEED!

• Rich likes this

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...