Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need a FIFA World Cup workaround

FIFA World Cup DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   todwest

todwest

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

So, because DirecTV hasn't deigned to become an approved provider of ESPN streaming services (the Watch ESPN app, and ESPN3), there doesn't appear to be any way for DirecTV subscribers to watch the upcoming FIFA World Cup games anywhere other than home. Can't watch the games on the official ESPN app, can't use DirecTV 2 PC on anything other than a home network. DirecTV's own apps DO NOT include any ESPN or ABC programming. It appears we are totally shut out of being able to watch the tournament remotely. Or, am I wrong about this? Is there a workaround I haven't heard of? I would really like to be able to stream these games while I am at my office. I just spent over an hour on the phone with the "retention" department, and they could not find a solution. It appears DirecTV customers are out of luck. Frankly, I've had it with this crap. If they don't fix this in the next two weeks, I will be terminating my account after 18 years as a loyal and mostly satisfied DirecTV customer.

Edited by todwest, 27 May 2014 - 10:04 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

You might just need a Genie Go.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 398 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

Can you switch ISPs? If you can get an Internet service provider who carries it, you can watch ESPN's online content.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#4 OFFLINE   todwest

todwest

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Can you switch ISPs? If you can get an Internet service provider who carries it, you can watch ESPN's online content.

Where did you get the idea that Watch ESPN and ESPN3 come through an ISP subscription? They don't, I assure you. You get Watch ESPN and ESPN 3 as part of your cable package. Time-Warner, Cox, DishTV, etc., have paid ESPN for these digital rights. DirecTV has not paid for these digital rights. This is, and always has been, the hold up.

#5 OFFLINE   todwest

todwest

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

You might just need a Genie Go.

Does Genie Go allow me to watch ESPN and ABC when I am away from home?

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Some people have success with out of home streaming. I don't think certain channels are blocked but don't have a Genie Go. Some one with experience will likely show up.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   whut WHUT

whut WHUT

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

I'm looking for the exact same thing. I'm tired of DirecTV not having WatchESPN.

I currently use Charter for my internet, and DirecTV for TV. I thought I could use my Charter login to get into WatchESPN but no. You must have their TV subscription. Ughh. I may just have to turn on a Charter TV subscription along side my DirecTV one just for a month or so, so I can stream these games at work too.

I'll be following this thread. Hopefully DirecTV has a solution besides screwing their customers. I'm not buying their Genie Go. I think that box only lets you download DVR shows onto it.

#8 OFFLINE   todwest

todwest

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

I'm looking for the exact same thing. I'm tired of DirecTV not having WatchESPN.

I currently use Charter for my internet, and DirecTV for TV. I thought I could use my Charter login to get into WatchESPN but no. You must have their TV subscription. Ughh. I may just have to turn on a Charter TV subscription along side my DirecTV one just for a month or so, so I can stream these games at work too.

I'll be following this thread. Hopefully DirecTV has a solution besides screwing their customers. I'm not buying their Genie Go. I think that box only lets you download DVR shows onto it.

The Genie Go might be a good workaround. If you can watch the shows recorded on the DVR, it might be possible to access them within a minute or so of their start time. I do this with DirecTV 2 PC currently. I can watch an in-progress show on D* 2 PC as long as my DVR is recording it. Basically, if Genie Go works just like an away-from-home version of DirecTV 2 PC, then subscribers should be able to access the recording in progress. Can anyone weigh in on the features of Genie Go? 

#9 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Just so you know, UVN will broadcast many games OTA.  In Spanish, but still....

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

The Genie Go might be a good workaround. If you can watch the shows recorded on the DVR, it might be possible to access them within a minute or so of their start time. I do this with DirecTV 2 PC currently. I can watch an in-progress show on D* 2 PC as long as my DVR is recording it. Basically, if Genie Go works just like an away-from-home version of DirecTV 2 PC, then subscribers should be able to access the recording in progress. Can anyone weigh in on the features of Genie Go? 

That's basically how the GenieGO works.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

Where did you get the idea that Watch ESPN and ESPN3 come through an ISP subscription? They don't, I assure you. You get Watch ESPN and ESPN 3 as part of your cable package. Time-Warner, Cox, DishTV, etc., have paid ESPN for these digital rights. DirecTV has not paid for these digital rights. This is, and always has been, the hold up.

I've been getting ESPN3 as an open option w/AppleTV...absent the other ESPNs because D* hasn't signed up. ABC has been available there but I never logged in till I noticed this thread. Comcast has pretty much every broadband user on board as Xfinity on paper because we all save a couple pennies with that minimal subscription. Never access the TV service - but, just now, that got me the ABC access.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#12 OFFLINE   whut WHUT

whut WHUT

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

So I'd have to record every World Cup game that I may want to watch? Then you have to account for extra time/overtime/shootouts. Sounds like a major pain to record everything with an extra long buffer.

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

DirecTV has not paid for these digital rights. This is, and always has been, the hold up.

The hold up is that ESPN/Disney openly admitted they refuse to negotiate the rights seperately and want to wait until the overall contract for their networks are up for renewal. EVERY announcement of a provider joining the Watch Products was part of a renewal deal.

Outside of Time Warner/Brighthouse where everything needs a TV subscription, ISP only accounts for most providers get access to ESPN3's content. (i.e. with Verizon's DSL service I can login on the app and get the live ESPN3 content but not the live feeds of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, etc) However I don't have the schedule in front of me right now to see if they'll simulcast all of the games on ESPN3 or will limit them to subscribers of the main channels.

Edited by KyL416, 27 May 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Try the Univision and Univision Deportes apps.  It's not clear if you have to authenticate, but if you don't it could be a decent solution for video (and Spanish audio).

http://www.mediapost...soccer-app.html

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,469 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I think Univision is a go for a real nice streaming app.  MobiTV from you wireless carrier may be another choice, they include ESPN and ABC as well as Univision 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

MobiTV from you wireless carrier may be another choice, they include ESPN and ABC as well as Univision

They don't anymore. Disney quietly discontinued ESPN Mobile TV, ABC Mobile and Disney Channel Mobile on January 1st in favor of their Watch products, while Univision Mobile is just a loop of various programming.

They might have live sports from Univision this year, however with the rise of smartphones and all the authenticated and direct from provider apps, they aren't the dominant source for mobile television like they were during the last World Cup. The bulk of the live sports are gone outside of select content from NBC.

Edited by KyL416, 27 May 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   daniloni

daniloni

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

This is incorrect.  If your ISP offers ESPN3, you should be able to watch ESPN3 content on your computer or on a roku, Apple TV, or mobile device via your ISP subscription.  I have DirecTV for my pay tv service and comcast for internet, and I'm able to access ESPN3 content on my Apple TV, roku, iPhone and iPad through my Comcast subscription.  I cannot watch ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, or ESPN Deportes content, since that would require authentication from my TV provider, which as we all know DirecTV does not offer.  I'm not clear what World Cup content will be on ESPN3.  I think I'd heard that Korean and other language commentary would be provided on ESPN3.  Not clear if English commentary will be on ESPN3.

If your ISP does not offer ESPN3 or if English commentary isn't available (and you require this), I would definitely recommend a slingbox.  For live tv, all reports are that it is superior to the genie go.

EDIT -- I see (or surmise) from your other post that you're a TWC internet subscriber.  TWC has a policy that they don't offer ESPN3 access through the ISP unless you also receive ESPN from them as a pay TV subscriber.  So slingbox is definitely the way to go.

Edited by daniloni, 27 May 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   Soccernut

Soccernut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:39 AM

The hold up is that ESPN/Disney openly admitted they refuse to negotiate the rights seperately and want to wait until the overall contract for their networks are up for renewal. EVERY announcement of a provider joining the Watch Products was part of a renewal deal.Outside of Time Warner/Brighthouse where everything needs a TV subscription, ISP only accounts for most providers get access to ESPN3's content. (i.e. with Verizon's DSL service I can login on the app and get the live ESPN3 content but not the live feeds of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, etc) However I don't have the schedule in front of me right now to see if they'll simulcast all of the games on ESPN3 or will limit them to subscribers of the main channels.

Just like you I have AT&T DSL and can only see ESPN3.

#19 OFFLINE   daniloni

daniloni

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

If streaming at your workplace is blocked and you don't want to or are unable to devote your cellular devices or data allotment to streaming, you could purchase a 7 or 9 inch portable television.  Of course you'd be limited to OTA options (i.e. Univision/Unimás) in Spanish.  At my work video streaming is blocked, so must-watch events are viewed via slingbox on my cellular enabled iPad.  I get an HD quality stream.  Highly recommend.

#20 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

I find the Slingbox a better solution for streaming of live programming.  The "work around" w/ the GenieGo is too cumbersome.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FIFA World Cup, DirecTV

spam firewall