Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD For Life No More?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

Noticed that HD For Life is no longer being offered to new customers.

Was told by Dish rep that HD is free for 24 months but then a $10 monthly fee.

I asked if paperless/autopay would give you free HD after promotion and was told no.

Rep said that was customers do is call back after promotion ends and ask for a lower rate.

Is this true, no more HD for life?

I'm a current Dish customer shopping around.

Don't want to leave Dish, come back and have to pay for HD.

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

That does sound right, unfortunately. I believe it changed last year.

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Yeah it did for new customers.  Existing ones at the time they changed that got to keep it though.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

thanks!

glad i asked 1st before i left to another provider.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

I believe last year they took away the $99 buy in option (one time fee no auto pay required) and this February they took away "for life" from the new customer offers.

Existing customers with a "for life" deal (either with or without auto pay) will continue to get their deal.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

Noticed that HD For Life is no longer being offered to new customers.

Was told by Dish rep that HD is free for 24 months but then a $10 monthly fee.

I asked if paperless/autopay would give you free HD after promotion and was told no.

Rep said that was customers do is call back after promotion ends and ask for a lower rate.

Is this true, no more HD for life?

I'm a current Dish customer shopping around.

Don't want to leave Dish, come back and have to pay for HD.

thanks

It's always been that way.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

It's always been that way.

No. This was a recent change by Dish. New customers get HD for Life for 24 months. Existing customers with HD for Life are grandfathered.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

IIRC, the 24 months free then $10 began in February 2014 or thereabouts.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 ONLINE   RG6-Q

RG6-Q

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPUERTO RICO

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

What happens if I have hd for life with AEP.  If I downgrade to AT120, will I continue to keep it.  I sure don't want SD

#10 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

You will get the HD version of the sd channels included in the package you have. You will lose the HD feed for all sd channels removed.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

You should be OK keeping the "for life" deal as long as you remain a customer subscribing to some HD programming. AT120 has HD programming.

If your service is cancelled for any reason you will lose the "for life" offering.
  • RG6-Q likes this
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

If they only offer HD equipment hookups now for new customers how do they justify charging an additional 10 dollars for the service? If I was a new customer, I wouldn't hesitate changing services if the charge wasn't dropped, especially knowing they are giving it away free for so many others.  

Best thing to do is just include HD in the programing. As the country ages and millions of baby boomers go on retirement 10 dollars does count, and do they really want baby boomers to do like the milleniums and not subscribe to any pay TV.   

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

If they only offer HD equipment hookups now for new customers how do they justify charging an additional 10 dollars for the service?

DISH is not "HD only installs". They push HD ... for example, if you order through the website you must order Hoppers and Joeys ... if you want anything different DISH makes you call in to talk to a salesperson. The "Smart Pack" (55 channels for $19.99 per month for 12 months $32.99 per month after) does not have HD or the Hopper.

HD is free for 24 months ... the same as that other satellite company ... however existing customers who got grandfathered can keep their "HD Free for Life" (life of the account). It is easy to justify $10 for HD when the other company is doing it.

Best thing to do is just include HD in the programing.

That would be nice ... but DISH went the other direction by changing their HD Free offer to "for two years". So I doubt that they will backtrack and make HD "included" any time soon.

One thing to be clear ... HD equipment is not HD service. DISH can deploy all the HD equipment they want and not activate the HD channels. DISH has kept the HD service fees separate from the equipment fees ... so there is no problem installing advanced receivers capable of HD without including HD channels.

DISH does not release numbers on how many customers have HD equipment and how many have SD only ... but they certainly have been pushing to sell HD - and anyone in an Eastern Arc only market gets the appropriate equipment to deliver HD locals.

#14 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Cool - I just changed over from an SD receiver to a VIP222K -  and just got off the phone with Dish - I am getting the HD free for 24 months

Edited by scooper, 11 July 2014 - 07:55 AM.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...