Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whats left on C-Band?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

There is someone in my neighbourhood that has a C-BAND dish and about 7 years ago a friend of mine had one...

Quite an interesting system...... ANY ANALOG STUFF STILL ON C-BAND??

Just curious as they seem to be trying to destroy this beautiful format and Im curious if there is any still out there?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

No one likes analogue anymore. Well except you.
  • sigma1914 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Lol. I had C band for about a year in 1994.
While it was better than nothing and cheap, it was a pain to channel surf on and once I stepped into sears in 1995 and saw Directv in action, I was sold.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#4 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Just last weekend I started up my old 8' analog dish and its grown over by trees ! Got 3 channels Weather Channel, QVC,Cspan  So yes there are channels and wild feeds

• Dude111 likes this

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

and many digital on C-band !

also AMS should be in analog too

#6 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Here is a list if you upgrade to a digital using C-band not Ku

http://skyvision.com...no_am_east.html

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#7 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

I still have my old 8.5 foot NQS solid dish from back in 1985 when I installed it. Around 2000 I updated it with new LNBs and bought my first digital FTA receiver. I have three now. Two are MPEG4 HD and there are hundreds of FTA channels on both C and KU band. It is a great addition to Dish and the Roku. You can check out Lyngsat and see all of the channels that are available. Very little analog is available. Only a rel or shopping channel. I am not sure if CPAN is still there in analog, but there is very little. No one uses analog any longer. It is much more expensive to lease half of a transponder for analog. With digital a company only has to lease a small percentage of a transponder as there are a dozen or more in the bandwidth. But digital FTA is a lot of fun. By the way, METV and RTV are there FTA. 

Patrick

• Rickt1962 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

mwdxer can you get ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX ?

I can confirm on analog Cspan,weather channel,QVC still work

If I can get the major networks ! I can dump my Last direct tv receiver since I have everything on Hard Drive now with XBMC

Edited by Rickt1962, 30 May 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

I would go to lyngsat and find what sat have the channels, do tune the BUD and check ... ;)

#10 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

I would go to lyngsat and find what sat have the channels, do tune the BUD and check ... ;)

Looks like after getting a Digital Tuner the C-Band will get  ABC, CBS , NBC , FOX. You can just use a C Band LNB to get these at Galaxy 16 99.0W from the PR Mux (well except for CBS). For CBS you can point to Galaxy 3C or Galaxy 28 C Band and with the Weather channel that should cover everything ! :) Since all my cable shows and movies are on my Hard Drive !

#11 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

CBand is invention.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 04 June 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

Analog is fine. Especially for local channels. Digital channels are too finicky. If there is the smallest of with the aerial the channel is either there or gone completely. With analog the channel still shows up. With some brief fading but the channel is still there.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

we should stick with the topic: SATELLITES on C-Band.
:backtotop:

#13 OFFLINE   jsb1980

jsb1980

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

I still have my old 8.5 foot NQS solid dish from back in 1985 when I installed it. Around 2000 I updated it with new LNBs and bought my first digital FTA receiver. I have three now. Two are MPEG4 HD and there are hundreds of FTA channels on both C and KU band. It is a great addition to Dish and the Roku. You can check out Lyngsat and see all of the channels that are available. Very little analog is available. Only a rel or shopping channel. I am not sure if CPAN is still there in analog, but there is very little. No one uses analog any longer. It is much more expensive to lease half of a transponder for analog. With digital a company only has to lease a small percentage of a transponder as there are a dozen or more in the bandwidth. But digital FTA is a lot of fun. By the way, METV and RTV are there FTA. 

Patrick

As of right now, reportedly, there is just QVC and C-SPAN left on analog.  The Weather Channel finally decommissioned C3-13 (and Videocipher) on 6/26.  Shepherd's Chapel analog is left on G4, but goes digital on 8/1.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

and that classical music channel - ARTS ?

#15 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

I just use the huge old antenna for OTA in the rooftop that we had since we bought the house several years ago.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#16 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I just use the huge old antenna for OTA in the rooftop that we had since we bought the house several years ago.

Does that bring in many TV stations?

#17 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Does that bring in many TV stations?

There are too many variables, it depends on your area, elevation, any obstructions, terrain, distance etc. What works for someone in one place may give you nothing if you're 50+ miles from the nearest station and are surrounded by buildings, trees or mountains. You can put your address in at TVFool.com who takes most of this into account, and it will give a prediction of what you can potentially get with some work. (i.e. green could come in with rabbit ears and a uhf loop, yellow would need either an attic or rooftop antenna, red would likely need a deep fringe directional antenna on a mast or tower taller than any nearby obstructions)

#18 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

True but in your location how many TV channels do you receive?

#19 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

Update :-) finally got a new box Skybox A6 it is a DVR with IPTV ! And even has a multi media built in so you can play avi,mp4,mkv and all your photos ! Get all the major networks and a lot of subchannels. One channel I can't get with Direct TV is METV and I get it now !!! :-)

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

Update :-) finally got a new box Skybox A6 it is a DVR with IPTV ! And even has a multi media built in so you can play avi,mp4,mkv and all your photos ! Get all the major networks and a lot of subchannels. One channel I can't get with Direct TV is METV and I get it now !!! :-)

Did you get it from SES 1 in C-band ?

http://www.lyngsat.c...s/us/Me-TV.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...