Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Undateable" - a decent sitcom in the Summer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Much to our surprise, we liked it. Apparently those who watched it agreed because the second half hour held the audience according to the ratings. It has a solid cast and the writing is hilarious.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Yeah a lot if vets. I think it was supposed to be for winter but they held it back. I enjoyed it to.

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

I watched the 2 episodes last night and LOL'd through most of it.  I hope it sticks around although that may make things difficult for Briga Heelan to stick around since her other show, Ground Floor, got picked up for Season 2 on TBS.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

There is a lot wrong with this show, a lot bringing it down. Lots and lots.

But that doesn't mean it is unwatchable; it actually is kind of worth it, at least so far. I'm still in.

I like Chris De'lia (sp?). I thought he was pretty good in Whitney, which I am still pissed did not get a year-2 pickup (that is one funny girl). But he had excellent writers then, as well as a top-notch cast to bounce off of, way back in the day, and now, he doesn't.

Then I caught his standup on Comedy Central. Guess what, he really blows at standup. Not sure how he is even making a career of that. And he brings that same low level of talent to this show, unfortunately. I also think he may look back in a few years and wonder "what was I thinking?" regarding his "look", which is a cross between fashion faux paux and serial killer. He is not actually a looker in the first place, and that coupled with maybe the worst haircut since Pee Wee Herman dooms us as viewers from ever thinking he could ever be anything like his character, who had women dropping their panties left and right. Sorry, can't suspend disbelief that much. But then TV is full of schlubs who end up with gorgeous wives (Yes, Dear, anyone? King of Queens? Bob Newhart?)

But I am rooting for him to get better and win folks over with this short run of shows, as he deserves some success. Not sure I'll make it to the end of the burnoff, but I guess that hardly matters.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

I was a little disappointed by the pilot but usually am with comedies; introducing people just isn't funny. I'm a little worried that this is, as TomCat said, a burnoff, that we will never see this show again. This is yet another show by Bill Lawrence of Scrubs fame and he's at his best 12+ episodes in after he's lost his fascination with the plot and begins to build a richand surreal universe around his characters.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

An astute observation on Bill Lawrence, Stu. It fits.

But as bad as the writing is, I am surprised to see someone of that pedigree even involved. Wasn't Surviving Jack his also? I really liked that, but I was mostly in the minority. And it was Chris Meloni's emmy-caliber delivery that really made the show great, along with good writing.

But were I you, I would stop being afraid it's a burnoff. It's a burnoff, and that is obvious. There are a lot of winter-season shows that went on to long successful runs (Numb3rs, anyone?) but I have yet to hear of a June burnoff that survived much longer than July. If a show is worthy of being a "try-out", that normally happens in March and April.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

OK, well now I'm out. I watched two more eps, and am not sure how I made it that far. I want those two hours of my life back.

CD just gets creepier and creepier looking the longer he is on screen, but maybe its because he is acting like a douche, and I remember him as Whitney's slightly cool, responsible boyfriend, who I actually liked. He is the type that if I saw him coming, I would cross the street out of my way just to avoid him, and that really lame look he is cultivating is supported by equally douchey behavior. He really needs to try to reign in the wild faces he makes; they are not helping him at all. I tried to imagine what he would look like all cleaned up, Brooks Bros. suit, silk tie, pocket square, $200 haircut, good grooming, etc., and I realized that he would still look like an ugly serial killer. Beard scruff works if you look like a young Don Johnson, but on guys like CD it just looks like he never washes his face. He is very NOT pretty, and he probably adopted that look to try to head fake us away from that fact, unsuccessfully. SL deleted.

But the fact that CD is creepy is the least of their problems. Bill Lawrence should pull an "Alan Smithee" and wrest his name off the credits. I did not even as much as chuckle once, which is a glaring indication that the show has failed as a comedy. I have not seen writing this bad since 1600 Penn. There is no way people could ever act anything like this in real life, at least not without someone pulling out a pistol and putting them out of their misery like a lame racehorse.

The network should really consider that. There is a point where your burnoff sitcom becomes less a cheap place to sell lowball commercial makegoods and more a departure point for viewers who you may never win back.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

And NBC's 'Undateable' Renewed for Second Season tells us "The Bill Lawrence comedy was a rare standout this summer, averaging 2.8 million viewers on Thursdays."

Wow, a whole 2.8 million total viewers on broadcast TV. How times have changed.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

After a just a few episodes, I decided that "Undatable" was pretty much "Unwatchable".

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

I liked it and I'm glad it will be back.  

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

I like it and I love the girl from Rules of Engagement. Glad to hear it was renew.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 02 August 2014 - 08:29 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...