Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network adds Netflix to subscriber bonus package

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,535 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

Dish Network adds Netflix to subscriber bonus package

(Fierceonlinevideo.com) - Subscribers to Dish Network who opt for its Hopper DVR will get an added bonus: six free months of Netflix, thanks to a deal the satellite operator signed with the SVOD provider. However, those subscribers won't find Netflix bundled into their DVRs, Variety reports.

20130110-625A1517VERGE_large_extra_large

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Wouldn't it be great if you could have 'The Netflix Channel' right in your Guide, or Hulu, or Amazon...

• fudpucker likes this

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,597 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

One of the deadly hazards in the blogosphere is not including ALL of the original information from the article it was copied from.

In this case, Fierce left out the critical detail that this offering is uniquely available to NEW subscribers (aka potential customers).

I have fairly serious doubts that Fierce actually contacted DISH given this serious omission.

I recommend to all that read the various and sundry "news" sites that whenever some other site is "quoted" or referenced, you should go to the referenced site and see what the original story was.

http://variety.com/2...ers-1201190288/

As discussed elsewhere, the terms of the offer appear to have been in place since February.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   bubba gump

bubba gump

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Wonder why Dish can't give all hopper customers past & present Netflix.

#5 OFFLINE   LJR

LJR

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

Just called Dish and found out it is for "New Subscribers" ONLY! Which is bs! I've been paying nearly $200/month for over 10 years and should be treated as a valued customer! :)
Dish 500
722 (w/Sling), 622 & 510.
America's Everything Pak
Multi-Sport w/Redzone

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

I'm surprised they are doing this for new customers. The Blockbuster VOD package and their own movie channel and PPV packages are competitive against Netflix. Why would they want to help get Netflix into someone's home?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'm surprised they are doing this for new customers. The Blockbuster VOD package and their own movie channel and PPV packages are competitive against Netflix. Why would they want to help get Netflix into someone's home?

DESPERATION!

#8 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Blockbuster really has no original programming.  Netflix on the other hand has some pretty good stuff.   House of Cards and Orange is the new Black plus more on the way.    PPV is just that and you can pretty much get that from Apple or a number of other places.   The 6 month teaser means that Netflix probably is the prime mover on this deal and getting Dish to promote it for new subscribers is a bit of a win win.   Netflix competition comes from Amazon who is making a strong move into streaming and starting with some of their  original series.  Giving Netflix to existing subscribers doesn't really buy Dish anything except a little good will.   I like Netflix and cut back on my Dish subscription to Top 150.   Currently I still have more shows that I like than I can watch.  Can't say I am even going to Redbox much anymore. 

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#9 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 732 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

Geez, when I posted back on May 15 about dish merging with Netflix, it was a pipe dream. [Ref to at&t merging with direct].

I think it's a decent move.

However, if Dish only offers it to new subs, customers like DoyleS will be inclined to cut their package down and add Netflix on their own. A lot are doing that now.

Dish needs to re-think current customers as well.

chris

#10 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Wouldn't it be great if you could have 'The Netflix Channel' right in your Guide, or Hulu, or Amazon...

Just like TIVO has today......

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

I would assume that you would not only need to be a new Dish customer to get this... but a new Netflix customer as well.

In that sense, it is probably a cross-promotion thing with both companies "bundling" together to get new customers.  Netflix isn't just going to give 6 months free to an existing Netflix customer who signs up for Dish I suspect.... so I'm sure current Netflix customers will be similarly left out on this offer.

It's only a value for either company to attract new business... AND the bundling of it together means they each get a new customer at the same time, which in theory might cut down on churn from one service to the other.

I remember reading elsewhere that Netflix was looking to launch a "channel" of their own too... perhaps to move some of their original content in other venues...  this partnership could be a step towards that... we might see the Netflix Channel showing up on Dish at some point IF this joint venture produces a lot of customers for both companies.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#12 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

In this case I'm glad Netflix isn't being added to the hardware.  Getting ready to buy a 4K TV and they all have Netflix and other services built in.  With 4K streaming becoming a reality I doubt that would be available through Dish for a long time.  I'd rather deal with Netflix directly.  That said, I expect Dish to be my primary content provider for many years to come.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,597 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

Wonder why Dish can't give all hopper customers past & present Netflix.

Why would they want to?

Since, as the article correctly points out, the Hopper doesn't support Netflix, it isn't much of a come-on to get Hopper users to spend more money with DISH. I'm sure the idea is to get people signed up (using free Netflix as bait) and then show them what a pain using Netflix is compared to DISH's VOD and PPV offerings.

Either way, you can bet they don't tell anyone that the Hopper doesn't deliver Netflix.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,597 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Just called Dish and found out it is for "New Subscribers" ONLY! Which is bs!

Why offer a large reason why people can cut cables to existing subscribers? It could go a long way to showing prospective cable cutters the way out the door.

The BS is that Fierce left that detail out.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,597 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Just like TIVO has today......

Since TiVo doesn't have a dog in the content fight, they pretty much have to bring someone else's programming to the table. The Roamios represent a VERY large investment ($700-1,000 up front for the first unit).

#16 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

I am not yet a cable cutter but will keep the option open.

We are moving in the near future and I will drop my land line telephone service.  Cell phone will be more than enough.

I need an internet service that is at least 12 Mbps. 

For now, I like Dish and their DVR.   I currently have a couple 722s and a 211.  Probably will cut back to just the two 722s.  The new location doesn't seem to be conducive to using an outside antenna for OTA because of the line of sight issues.  That means I can only record 2 shows at once on the main 722.  This might be a reason to move to the Hopper.

I have an aversion to paying more than $100/mo for my Dish service so as fees rose,  I cut back. 

Long term I may be Internet only with Netflix and HuluPlus although the thought of having Hulu commercials has been a bit of a turnoff whenever I have tried it.  How many bathroom breaks can a person take in an evening of TV watching.

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#17 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Just called Dish and found out it is for "New Subscribers" ONLY! Which is bs! I've been paying nearly $200/month for over 10 years and should be treated as a valued customer! :)

So going by that, should you get each and every promotion given to new customers? I would like DISH to stay in business so I don't think they can do that.

Current customers already get perks new subscribers, and new subscribers just off contract may not. As just two examples, current subscribers have HD free for life, new subscribers have it free for limited time. Right now with three referrals you can get a free Sony PS4. 

Beyond that DISH is very open to discounts to current customers who pay on time, especially long time customers that a new customer just off contract may not get. Contacting a DISH representative here is probably the best way to see if you qualify for discounts.

Edited by tampa8, 05 June 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Just think of the nice car the $ 200 would of paid on a car payment ! LOL

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#19 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

I am not yet a cable cutter but will keep the option open.

We are moving in the near future and I will drop my land line telephone service.  Cell phone will be more than enough.

I need an internet service that is at least 12 Mbps. 

For now, I like Dish and their DVR.   I currently have a couple 722s and a 211.  Probably will cut back to just the two 722s.  The new location doesn't seem to be conducive to using an outside antenna for OTA because of the line of sight issues.  That means I can only record 2 shows at once on the main 722.  This might be a reason to move to the Hopper.

I have an aversion to paying more than $100/mo for my Dish service so as fees rose,  I cut back. 

Long term I may be Internet only with Netflix and HuluPlus although the thought of having Hulu commercials has been a bit of a turnoff whenever I have tried it.  How many bathroom breaks can a person take in an evening of TV watching.

If u really want to cut the B.S. fee's check into Republic Wireless for cell and for TV with internet 10 megs speed look into XBMC ! ;)

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

spam firewall