Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Long time DirecTV customer moving to FiOS and TiVo

AT&T FIOS Verizon Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
361 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Probably for the same reason you refused to apply the HR firmware updates to fix the auto-delete bug on Saturday.  You'd rather have problems to fuel your righteous indignation and give you something to complain about, rather than make any effort whatsoever to resolve the issues that have you so pissed off all of the time.

+1

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Good for you. In 12 years, I have not gotten a single piece of hardware for free. 

why not?  have you not seen all the posts about folks getting Genies free of change? even free wireless minis for that matter.  your old TiVOs is/was a different story as DirecTV at that time was a BYO equipment kind of deal 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

And where does a 2 year timeline come from??

It comes from the life expectancy of an electronic gear before some better comes along 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#54 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

Even when all the new subscriber discounts expire in two years, Verizon will STILL be about $50/month less expensive than DirecTV.

Isn't that part really a result of the fact that you will have your TV service bundled with your phone & Internet, which DirecTV doesn't currently have the opportunity to do?  That's really a big part of where the AT&T deal makes sense for DirecTV.  Unfortunately, for those us in the Northeast, any bundling that takes place with AT&T service will only allow for DSL Internet speeds (which is what I switched away from when I went to FiOS for Internet and phone).

I have a feeling that I will eventually be forced to switch away from DirecTV.  My dish is mounted about 5 feet from the edge of my roof, which is required for LOS.  Now that Mastec won't allow their installers to get off of their ladder, the next time that a Hurricane Sandy comes along or DirecTV introduces a new dish style required for the next generation of receivers, I may be out of luck.  If that happens, FiOS would be my new home.

#55 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Another example - I got an e-mail from Verizon telling me they were giving me all the HBO channels for free until the end of September.  I didn't need to call and play CSR roulette.  I'm VERY happy, and to me, it serves to show how D* has changed from the old days (they're not nearly as customer-focused as they used to be).

And, for what it's worth, the Stanley Cup game last night definitely had better PQ on Verizon than it did on D* (ISF-calibrated Panny 65" plasma)

DirecTV customer since 1996

#56 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Were you doing side by side- well, back to back comparisons with the two feeds, or is this from memory?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#57 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,098 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Isn't that part really a result of the fact that you will have your TV service bundled with your phone & Internet, which DirecTV doesn't currently have the opportunity to do?  That's really a big part of where the AT&T deal makes sense for DirecTV.  Unfortunately, for those us in the Northeast, any bundling that takes place with AT&T service will only allow for DSL Internet speeds (which is what I switched away from when I went to FiOS for Internet and phone)...

Absolutely, and that is exactly what I said at the end of the post that started this thread.  I guess I'm really just observing that although Verizon has been offering a better price on TV service, by virtue of the bundling, for years, it has only been in the last 6 months that I have been willing to entertain leaving DirecTV.  Part of it was the great reviews I've read about the FiOS and TiVo combination, and part of it was stopping to think about why I was staying with DirecTV in the first place.  Satellite in general, and DirecTV in particular, has always had real technical and customer service advantages over cable - until recently.  I don't see a big difference between them anymore.  I readily acknowledge that we are lucky to have 4 options for multi-channel TV service and that competition probably improves the cable companies' performance.  But, this is the world we live in, and we have to do what makes sense for us.  Paying DirecTV $140 per month more than DirecTV for the next 2 years, and then $95 more thereafter (I miscalculated when I said $50) just doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#58 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,098 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

why not?  have you not seen all the posts about folks getting Genies free of change? even free wireless minis for that matter.  your old TiVOs is/was a different story as DirecTV at that time was a BYO equipment kind of deal 

Yes, but I already had a Genie by then, and I wasn't willing to lie, threaten and cajole them into giving me what I want.  Look at it this way - if DirecTV can give some people free Genies, why not everyone?  Because they can't afford it.  Well I can't afford them anymore.  I reiterate my earlier point:  DIrecTV is still priced like a premium service, when they are barely distinguishable from their competition.  They need to reassess their pricing and consider reallocating the one-off discounts and freebies they hand out as lower prices for everyone.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yes, but I already had a Genie by then, and I wasn't willing to lie, threaten and cajole them into giving me what I want. Look at it this way - if DirecTV can give some people free Genies, why not everyone? Because they can't afford it. Well I can't afford them anymore. I reiterate my earlier point: DIrecTV is still priced like a premium service, when they are barely distinguishable from their competition. They need to reassess their pricing and consider reallocating the one-off discounts and freebies they hand out as lower prices for everyone.

I truly wish you well. Fios is a decent service. For what I would want (lots of out of market sports), it is a step down for me but isn't for a lot of people. I recommend fios for friends who it fits for. (And, I have it in house, so I am aware of its pluses and minuses.)

However, if you have any delusions that their deals or their customer service is going to be better, you are wrong there. I've never had to argue with directv but have to all the time with fios. They offer something then can't deliver then just cut things off rather than make it work. They almost never match the actual projected price and have screwy bundles that taking services away actually increases your pricing. They have insisted I had to be home for on a tech once for a neighborhood problem. When the tech showed up he said the CS group had no idea what they were talking about.

Fios support is better than what I dealt with with Comcast but any belief that you won't be working the system (just to get what you want that is nothing special) is optimistic.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#60 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

Yes, but I already had a Genie by then, and I wasn't willing to lie, threaten and cajole them into giving me what I want.  

I know of many, many folks that called  for a repair issue and got a fee Genie instead.  so no need to lie, cajole or threaten. You just never tried.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#61 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

I know of many, many folks that called  for a repair issue and got a fee Genie instead.  so no need to lie, cajole or threaten. You just never tried.

But if there was nothing broken, wouldn't she have to lie in order to get a tech dispatched for the repair issue?  I think that, to some extent, her point is valid.  DirecTV customers who don't try to "play the game" typically get left behind with regard to equipment. I don't blame them for doing this.  It would be a huge expense for them to consistently upgrade customers to the newest equipment all of the time.

Personally, I'd prefer it if they went out of their way to reward loyal long time customers better than they do (or did).  When they used to have their annual "thank you" anniversary gift, it would never be something that was actually useful (or cost saving) to that customer.  Someone like me, who never orders PPV, would get coupons for free PPV movies (which you had to send back to them, which, in itself, was a pain in the butt if you were on auto-pay), rather than doing something like giving an X number of months discount on a channel that you were already paying for.

IMO, DirecTV has set a bad precedent that the people who complain (or lie, threaten or cajole) are the ones who get treated the best.  I think that some people who aren't complainers are getting a bit sick of that.

#62 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

But if there was nothing broken, 

But that is the rub, there WAS a problem when they called in! but the CSR turned that SC into an upgrade.  win-win for both parties, installer of course looses 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#63 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,174 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

But if there was nothing broken, wouldn't she have to lie in order to get a tech dispatched for the repair issue?  I think that, to some extent, her point is valid.  DirecTV customers who don't try to "play the game" typically get left behind with regard to equipment. I don't blame them for doing this.  It would be a huge expense for them to consistently upgrade customers to the newest equipment all of the time.

Personally, I'd prefer it if they went out of their way to reward loyal long time customers better than they do (or did).  When they used to have their annual "thank you" anniversary gift, it would never be something that was actually useful (or cost saving) to that customer.  Someone like me, who never orders PPV, would get coupons for free PPV movies (which you had to send back to them, which, in itself, was a pain in the butt if you were on auto-pay), rather than doing something like giving an X number of months discount on a channel that you were already paying for.

IMO, DirecTV has set a bad precedent that the people who complain (or lie, threaten or cajole) are the ones who get treated the best.  I think that some people who aren't complainers are getting a bit sick of that.

Exactly, so before you attack me, I can't make Directv give me something to replace something thats not broken.

My point was Peds has it in his head if I call Directv they will swap out my HR23 for a Brand new HR24 and my HR34 for a Brand new HR44.

SO WAY BEYOND THE TRUTH!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#64 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

But that is the rub, there WAS a problem when they called in! but the CSR turned that SC into an upgrade.  win-win for both parties, installer of course looses 

I was referring to Diana not needing a service call and, therefore not having the opportunity to get hardware upgraded by a tech, unless she lied about having problems in order to create that service call.

#65 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

Exactly, so before you attack me, I can't make Directv give me something to replace something thats not broken.

My point was Peds has it in his head if I call Directv they will swap out my HR23 for a Brand new HR24 and my HR34 for a Brand new HR44.

SO WAY BEYOND THE TRUTH!

Except, unlike DIana, you have had service calls.  According to you, you had one just a few days ago.  Did you ask the tech if he could upgrade any equipment for you?  When I had my HR44 and GenieGo installed (for a total of $49), I also had two HR21's upgraded to HR24's by the tech who made that service call.  Like you, I had a valid reason for having a tech come to my house.  Unlike you, I took the initiative to ask about upgrading equipment and that's exactly what happend.

• MysteryMan likes this

#66 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

Except, unlike DIana, you have had service calls.  According to you, you had one just a few days ago.  Did you ask the tech if he could upgrade any equipment for you?  When I had my HR44 and GenieGo installed (for a total of $49), I also had two HR21's upgraded to HR24's by the tech who made that service call.  Like you, I had a valid reason for having a tech come to my house.  Unlike you, I took the initiative to ask about upgrading equipment and that's exactly what happend.

Its not up to the Tech to upgrade my HR34 to a 44 for the heck of it.
He was there to replace a defective HR24. Which he did!
You think I've never asked for an HR44??

Techs don't just swap out working equipment for upgrades at the customers request.
Not that common, there are commitment issues involved with non defective equipment swaps.

Stop filling peoples heads with how simple it is to just trade equipment for the latest technology.
  • pdxBeav likes this

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#67 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Its not up to the Tech to upgrade my HR34 to a 44 for the heck of it.

While he does not have to, he can replace your equipment. by asking nicely he could of hook you up!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#68 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

I was referring to Diana not needing a service call and, therefore not having the opportunity to get hardware upgraded by a tech, unless she lied about having problems in order to create that service call.

Ahhh, gotcha.  But you know, everyone needs a dish alignment every now and then

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#69 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

While he does not have to, he can replace your equipment. by asking nicely he could of hook you up!

If it was that simple , Everyone here would Have Free HR44's and HR24s, and nothing else!

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#70 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

Ahhh, gotcha.  But you know, everyone needs a dish alignment every now and then

Yeah.  But now, I wouldn't be able to get a tech to get off of his ladder and onto my roof to do that alignment :blackeye:

#71 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

If it was that simple , Everyone here would Have Free HR44's and HR24s, and nothing else!

Well, being a pleasant person can go a long way sometimes.

#72 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,794 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Yeah.  But now, I wouldn't be able to get a tech to get off of his ladder and onto my roof to do that alignment :blackeye:

some friends do get special treatment... :righton:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#73 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,098 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

Like Bill, my dish is at a place where a ladder can't reach directly (the only place where there is an opening in the trees). I have never had a dish alignment problem (even after two tropical storms and hurricane Sandy). In 12 years, I have only had to call DirecTV twice for a technical issue (once when the hard drive of an HR21 went south - which they replaced with another HR21) and when they killed my last DirecTiVo with a software update that put it into an endless boot loop.

No matter how you shade it peds, you are saying the customer has to lie to the CSR to get a truck roll and the bribe the tech for an upgrade. That's a heck of a way to run a company.

Also, to be clear, I don't expect Verizon to be any different than DirecTV in this or any other regard. I have been a FiOS customer for 7 years, just not for TV. I have never had to call them for tech support. Every 2 years, when my discounts end, they offer some new set that has kept my phone and internet bill below what I was paying them for just voice back in 2006. If, two years from now they don't have an offering I find acceptable, I'll take my TiVos and go to Cablevision. Or, maybe I'll sell the TiVos and try Dish network again. Or, maybe I'll come back to DirecTV and get a load of discounts from them. But even if you took away ALL the Verizon discounts, the Verizon Ultimate package is still almost half the price of DirecTV's Premiere package plus all the fees. It is not just the programming cost that gets you with DirecTV, it is the HD fee, the DVR fee, the Whole Home fee, the HD Extra pack fee and the $6 per additional outlet fee - none of which I will have with Verizon and TiVos.
  • damondlt likes this

Current setup:

#74 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

My daughter and family are happy FiOS users. So are my two sisters. I'm a huge fan of what TiVo's done with Roamio, but I have to respectfully disagree with Diana and Wilbur re: the FiOS box UI. I've used it a lot and think it's fine. Just my .02, but I don't think you can go wrong either way, Roamio or FiOS boxes. I haven't seen how FiOS presents their new VMS-1100 6-tuner box. My guess is it's the same UI, but I don't know for sure.

Just to give my two cents... It is the same UI, only a generation behind.  Verizon needed to have a stable baseline when they wanted to get the VMS out the door, so they stuck with the generation that was on their other equipment at the time (they have since upgraded their other equipment to a newer guide, but the VMS will be close behind).  The guide s/w is actually a different platform on the VMS- it's HTML 5, and appears to be partially cloud-based.  And yeah, I've had one for a couple months now.  Our market was among the first to have them available, and I ordered one up immediately. 

As for whether the s/w is crap or not... that's up to each person.  I personally like the guide.  It has some short-comings, to be sure, but I certainly don't think it's horrid.  And the VMS functionality is really nice.  The integration between the server and IP boxes is pretty darn seamless.  The platform certainly has its bugs, but they've been pretty aggressive at getting those bugs rectified (we just got our second update since the platform first became available).

#75 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

Why pay more for the Tivo?  Fios just release the 6 or 12 tuner VMS system here in NJ. 

I switched about 18 months ago and REALLY miss the DirecTV DVR's (especially my HR34's X 2).  Fios service is fine but the DVR's are just missing the "little stuff" the the DirecTV boxes had. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AT&T, FIOS, Verizon, Tivo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...