Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Long time DirecTV customer moving to FiOS and TiVo

AT&T FIOS Verizon Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
361 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

with DirecTV and some good "haggling" you can always have the latest and greatest for little or no cost.

really? Then why do I still have Hr23 and HR34 on my account?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,686 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:58 AM

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I give up. Why do you still have a HR23 and HR34 on your account?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#43 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:23 AM

I have four TV options available here in the south east. DirecTV is hands down the best of all of them. I'm an out of market and longtime Spurs fan so NBA TV and League Pass are huge deals for me. Sports overall is a HUGE driving factor for us. I have hands-on with D* and Dish for TV all the others I personally have not subscribed to but have viewed/used at friends/relatives/demo setups etc.

DirecTV -- excellent HD PQ, carries all the sports (including local) that I want, including NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA TV HD, NBA League Pass HD with dual teams HD feeds (I always have the Spurs home team announcers feed unless their on OTA in San Antonio [KENS or KMYS], or my local RSN). D* does an excellent job with the local market RSNs including when their are multiple games on at the same time since they carry all the overflow/alternates and in HD. Receiving all of your local RSNs in HD is important for an out of market fan as well, because when my team plays the local in market team if D* didn't offer the local RSN I would be SOL for that game due to blackout rules. Genie and HR2X platform have both worked excellent for us, and they are always adding new features. Their HD content available On Demand has continued to grow more and more every year. Overall the best provider for our needs.

Charter -- total non-starter since they don't offer NBA TV and NBA League Pass at all. They lack one local RSN in HD and they don't carry RSN SD or HD overflow/alternates when multiple games are on simultaneous. Add in their HD PQ sucks in my area. No whole home DVR available other then purchase a TiVo setup or HTPC with CableCARD tuner setup and WMC Extenders; either choice you lose two-way capability such as On Demand. CableCARDs are generally a nightmare to get paired and initialized correctly. Our market is one that hasn't been upgraded to 100% digital and their HD channel lineup is really lacking overall, so even if they do add more HD did I mention the picture quality sucks regardless? I really can't add anything positive about their TV service...

AT&T U-Verse -- limited to 4 total TV streams for the entire house, that's basically a non-starter right their for our household... They do offer our local RSNs, NBA TV and NBA League Pass all in HD, however their League Pass is different from D* since they receive it from inDEMAND, so they don't remap the RSNs with local ads like D* does. I believe they could do it like D* if they wanted to since they offer many RSNs nationwide (and in HD) that could be remapped, of course they would probably have to get the terms agreed upon with NBA/Turner Sports in addition. Plus you do not get dual teams HD feeds most of the time. Even if they did have a decent setup with LP their HD PQ is very sub-par for sports programming and content with fast motion. On the positive side I think they do a pretty good job with alt/overflow HD feeds when their are multiple games airing simultaneous. Nice HD channel lineup overall. Wouldn't be a bad choice for a backup/second provider to test the waters with and use on 1 or 2 TVs (of course keeping the D* setup still for primary viewing).

Dish – good HD PQ, carries NBA TV and NBA League Pass, they carry the local RSNs (and have Overflow/Alt feeds available) here but are only in HD for the live games [no full time HD RSNs nationwide], they do not carry all of the League Pass games in HD and you never get both teams feed in HD. They probably do a slightly poorer job then U-Verse on the League Pass setup since with U-Verse you do always get the game in HD (but not always dual feeds). I actually had Dish and was doubled up with D* for several years, I never used the Hopper DVR only the 722k and 211k models but I really liked the feature set and performance overall. Very few issues with either model. I still have the dish, lnb, and the owned receivers in a closet in case I decide to reactivate one day.   :righton:  While I was doubled up I always purchased sports subscriptions (League Pass & NFL ST) with D* since Dish is inferior and not to mention doesn't carry ST at all. Back when Dish offered more premiums (think 2009-10) in HD then D* we would subscribe to HBO/MAX/HD Platinum (now Blockbuster@Home) with Dish and SHO/Starz/HD Extra Pack with D*; that setup gave us the most HD premium channels but that is obviously no longer the case. Overall Dish is probably the distant second best choice available to us.  

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#44 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I guess you are not haggling good enough... didn't you have a tech in your house the other day?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#45 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

Dear DirecTV - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD.   IT'S FULL OF VERY, VERY LONG TIME CUSTOMERS (me, since 1997) WHO ARE THINKING OF FIRING YOUR COMPANY!

DirecTV customer since 1996

#46 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

Dear DirecTV - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD.   IT'S FULL OF VERY, VERY LONG TIME CUSTOMERS (me, since 1997) WHO ARE THINKING OF FIRING YOUR COMPANY!

Just speaking for myself, I didn't fire DIRECTV. I'm simply a die-hard tester who wanted to try something different for a while ("cloud DVR"). My switch required no up front $$$ and there's no ETF, so come the fall season, I might be back.

/steve

#47 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,842 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

I guess you are not haggling good enough... didn't you have a tech in your house the other day?

You know, I have been a DirecTV customer since November 2001.  For all of that time I have subscribed to whatever was the top programming package, have always had multiple DVRs (DirecTiVos until 2007, HRs after that), was an early adopter of the Genie and GenieGo, and participated in the CE program.  Why should I have to "haggle" (more like lie, cajole, threaten and beg) to get a few discounts?  Without any "haggling" Verizon is delivering the same programming to me as DirecTV for less than half the price.  Even when all the new subscriber discounts expire in two years, Verizon will STILL be about $50/month less expensive than DirecTV.

I originally switched from cable to satellite in 1997 because my cable company (Cablevision) had such a poor offering of channels. I switched from Dish to DirecTV in 2001 to get better, more functional DVRs.  For most of the last 12 years I have been happy with DirecTV - it had the best channel offerings, and better equipment and services than the competition.

But, for the last couple of years most of DirecTV's advantages have eroded.  They no longer have a channel advantage - Dish and most of the larger cable systems are more or less equal (the only real "loss" for me is that Turner Classic Movies is in SD on FiOS, but SD is so much better on FiOS that I don't think I'll care).  While the Genie was a great piece of hardware, TiVo, Verizon, Cablevision and others have caught up to or surpassed the Genie's feature set.  It finally got to the point where I could no longer justify the DirecTV price premium.

I don't know what effect AT&T will have on DirecTV, but I don't expect that they will make much of a difference in the areas of programming and content.  To remain competitive DirecTV has to take a close look at their cost structure.  Perhaps a good place to start is to look at the sum of all the discounts they give people who call up to "haggle" and see if perhaps they just lowered their prices by that much, they might attract or retain more customers.

Just the reflections of long time, and generally happy, customer - but it appears I am not alone.

• damondlt likes this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#48 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

1. Why should I have to "haggle" (more like lie, cajole, threaten and beg) to get a few discounts?  Without any "haggling" Verizon is delivering the same programming to me as DirecTV for less than half the price

2.  Even when all the new subscriber discounts expire in two years, Verizon will STILL be about $50/month less expensive than DirecTV.

1. Sure Verizon is giving you some amazing discounts, for being a "new" customer (at least TV customer) this is called the honeymoon phase.  and we all know what happens after that!

2. I can only hope that stays that way.  but truth be told when you get there and post back

But my post (that you quote on on) was not about discounts. but rather hardware.  now you are "stuck" with providing you one hardware if you want the Roamios upgraded to whatever is the latest and greatest 2 years down the road.  with DirecTV on the other hand, I can have that without speeding a single penny if I know how to push the right buttons, and trust me, I know where the right buttons are!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#49 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Probably for the same reason you refused to apply the HR firmware updates to fix the auto-delete bug on Saturday.  You'd rather have problems to fuel your righteous indignation and give you something to complain about, rather than make any effort whatsoever to resolve the issues that have you so pissed off all of the time.

• MysteryMan likes this

#50 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,842 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

1. Sure Verizon is giving you some amazing discounts, for being a "new" customer (at least TV customer) this is called the honeymoon phase.  and we all know what happens after that!

2. I can only hope that stays that way.  but truth be told when you get there and post back

But my post (that you quote on on) was not about discounts. but rather hardware.  now you are "stuck" with providing you one hardware if you want the Roamios upgraded to whatever is the latest and greatest 2 years down the road.  with DirecTV on the other hand, I can have that without speeding a single penny if I know how to push the right buttons, and trust me, I know where the right buttons are!

Good for you. In 12 years, I have not gotten a single piece of hardware for free. As I posted earlier, the DirecTV gear we have now cost us about $1500 (4 HR2x DVRs at $200 each, a HR34 at $299, 2 HR25s at $100 each, plus a GenieGo at $150) with no opportunity to recoup any of it. Forget about what I paid for the HR20, the RCA receiver and all the DirecTiVos I've had over the years.The TiVos cost me only $500 more than I spent for DirecTV gear, and I have an excellent prospect of being able to recoup at least $1000, leaving me $500 ahead of the DirecTV hardware.

And where does a 2 year timeline come from?? I've had my HR34 for 2 years, the HR24s for close to 4 years and the HR21s for about 6 years. The Roamio has been on the market for about a year, so I expect to use them for 5 years. By then, even if I trash the hardware at the end, I'll have saved about $3000 versus staying with DirecTV.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Probably for the same reason you refused to apply the HR firmware updates to fix the auto-delete bug on Saturday.  You'd rather have problems to fuel your righteous indignation and give you something to complain about, rather than make any effort whatsoever to resolve the issues that have you so pissed off all of the time.

+1

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#52 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Good for you. In 12 years, I have not gotten a single piece of hardware for free. 

why not?  have you not seen all the posts about folks getting Genies free of change? even free wireless minis for that matter.  your old TiVOs is/was a different story as DirecTV at that time was a BYO equipment kind of deal 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

And where does a 2 year timeline come from??

It comes from the life expectancy of an electronic gear before some better comes along 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#54 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

Even when all the new subscriber discounts expire in two years, Verizon will STILL be about $50/month less expensive than DirecTV.

Isn't that part really a result of the fact that you will have your TV service bundled with your phone & Internet, which DirecTV doesn't currently have the opportunity to do?  That's really a big part of where the AT&T deal makes sense for DirecTV.  Unfortunately, for those us in the Northeast, any bundling that takes place with AT&T service will only allow for DSL Internet speeds (which is what I switched away from when I went to FiOS for Internet and phone).

I have a feeling that I will eventually be forced to switch away from DirecTV.  My dish is mounted about 5 feet from the edge of my roof, which is required for LOS.  Now that Mastec won't allow their installers to get off of their ladder, the next time that a Hurricane Sandy comes along or DirecTV introduces a new dish style required for the next generation of receivers, I may be out of luck.  If that happens, FiOS would be my new home.

#55 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Another example - I got an e-mail from Verizon telling me they were giving me all the HBO channels for free until the end of September.  I didn't need to call and play CSR roulette.  I'm VERY happy, and to me, it serves to show how D* has changed from the old days (they're not nearly as customer-focused as they used to be).

And, for what it's worth, the Stanley Cup game last night definitely had better PQ on Verizon than it did on D* (ISF-calibrated Panny 65" plasma)

DirecTV customer since 1996

#56 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,352 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Were you doing side by side- well, back to back comparisons with the two feeds, or is this from memory?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#57 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,842 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Isn't that part really a result of the fact that you will have your TV service bundled with your phone & Internet, which DirecTV doesn't currently have the opportunity to do?  That's really a big part of where the AT&T deal makes sense for DirecTV.  Unfortunately, for those us in the Northeast, any bundling that takes place with AT&T service will only allow for DSL Internet speeds (which is what I switched away from when I went to FiOS for Internet and phone)...

Absolutely, and that is exactly what I said at the end of the post that started this thread.  I guess I'm really just observing that although Verizon has been offering a better price on TV service, by virtue of the bundling, for years, it has only been in the last 6 months that I have been willing to entertain leaving DirecTV.  Part of it was the great reviews I've read about the FiOS and TiVo combination, and part of it was stopping to think about why I was staying with DirecTV in the first place.  Satellite in general, and DirecTV in particular, has always had real technical and customer service advantages over cable - until recently.  I don't see a big difference between them anymore.  I readily acknowledge that we are lucky to have 4 options for multi-channel TV service and that competition probably improves the cable companies' performance.  But, this is the world we live in, and we have to do what makes sense for us.  Paying DirecTV $140 per month more than DirecTV for the next 2 years, and then $95 more thereafter (I miscalculated when I said $50) just doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense.

Current setup:

#58 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,842 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

why not?  have you not seen all the posts about folks getting Genies free of change? even free wireless minis for that matter.  your old TiVOs is/was a different story as DirecTV at that time was a BYO equipment kind of deal 

Yes, but I already had a Genie by then, and I wasn't willing to lie, threaten and cajole them into giving me what I want.  Look at it this way - if DirecTV can give some people free Genies, why not everyone?  Because they can't afford it.  Well I can't afford them anymore.  I reiterate my earlier point:  DIrecTV is still priced like a premium service, when they are barely distinguishable from their competition.  They need to reassess their pricing and consider reallocating the one-off discounts and freebies they hand out as lower prices for everyone.

Current setup:

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yes, but I already had a Genie by then, and I wasn't willing to lie, threaten and cajole them into giving me what I want. Look at it this way - if DirecTV can give some people free Genies, why not everyone? Because they can't afford it. Well I can't afford them anymore. I reiterate my earlier point: DIrecTV is still priced like a premium service, when they are barely distinguishable from their competition. They need to reassess their pricing and consider reallocating the one-off discounts and freebies they hand out as lower prices for everyone.

I truly wish you well. Fios is a decent service. For what I would want (lots of out of market sports), it is a step down for me but isn't for a lot of people. I recommend fios for friends who it fits for. (And, I have it in house, so I am aware of its pluses and minuses.)

However, if you have any delusions that their deals or their customer service is going to be better, you are wrong there. I've never had to argue with directv but have to all the time with fios. They offer something then can't deliver then just cut things off rather than make it work. They almost never match the actual projected price and have screwy bundles that taking services away actually increases your pricing. They have insisted I had to be home for on a tech once for a neighborhood problem. When the tech showed up he said the CS group had no idea what they were talking about.

Fios support is better than what I dealt with with Comcast but any belief that you won't be working the system (just to get what you want that is nothing special) is optimistic.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#60 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

Yes, but I already had a Genie by then, and I wasn't willing to lie, threaten and cajole them into giving me what I want.  

I know of many, many folks that called  for a repair issue and got a fee Genie instead.  so no need to lie, cajole or threaten. You just never tried.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AT&T, FIOS, Verizon, Tivo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...