Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Long time DirecTV customer moving to FiOS and TiVo

AT&T FIOS Verizon Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
361 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Absolutely. I probably should emphasize that I doubt I would be doing this if my only option was Cablevision. While Cablevision around here gets pretty good marks from users, the PQ is inferior to FiOS and DirecTV. I honestly have not even looked at Cablevision in any detail because of this. There is no way I'd do this if Time Warner were my only option.

Without a truly "apples to apples" alternative like FiOS, this would be a much harder decision.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Absolutely!!

If I could break myself from boxing and wanting to see so many contemporary shows I could switch to IPTV and save a bundle of money.  But I won't...  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#103 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Absolutely. I probably should emphasize that I doubt I would be doing this if my only option was Cablevision. While Cablevision around here gets pretty good marks from users, the PQ is inferior to FiOS and DirecTV. I honestly have not even looked at Cablevision in any detail because of this. There is no way I'd do this if Time Warner were my only option.

Without a truly "apples to apples" alternative like FiOS, this would be a much harder decision.

Maybe it's the SA boxes. I have Samsung boxes and from 10' away, Cablevision HD PQ looks a little better on my 65" Panny ZT60 than the HR44 it replaced a month ago. I know it's subjective, but I'm very critical about PQ. And SD PQ blows away DIRECTV's SD.

I had a free FiOS DVR 2 years ago hooked up next to an HR34 on a Panasonic 65 S1 plasma, and saw the same differences. Marginally better HD, much better SD.

/steve

#104 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

Absolutely!!

I could switch to IPTV and save a bundle of money. But I won't... :)

Exactly, that's your choice. But at least you admit Directv is not the only option that should be looked at and you and I both know it's now one of the most expensive tv options but not the most advanced, and that's never been the case.
Tivo ,X1 , and even the Hopper HD dvrs have turned the tables when it comes to functions and reliability.
HR'S well, never been a fan. Bottom line, they are never consistently stable.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#105 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Maybe it's the SA boxes...

Maybe you're right. If, after 2 years, I don't find FiOS so great (or they finally move to IP delivery) I'll take a closer look at Cablevision.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#106 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

For me, the decision was simple:

DirecTV
Premier Programming: $129.99
6 additional outlet fees: $36
HD fee: $10
DVR fee: $10
Whole Home fee: $3
Regional Sports fee: $3.63

Total: $192.62 per month

FiOS TV
Ultimate HD Programming: $90.00
2 Multistream Cablecards: $9.98
No HD fee
No DVR fee
No Whole home fee
No regional sports fee

Total $99.98 per month without factoring the first 2 year discounts of $45 per month

Even if we ignore the cost of hardware and don't include discounts, FiOS saves us $92.64 per month for the same service and content.

Now, let's deal with hardware and discounts. I spent $2269.98 on TiVo equipment (all with lifetime service), but I am getting $45/month in discounts from Verizon for 24 months. That $1080 in savings. If I apply that to the TiVo hardware costs, the net cost is $1189.98. That is almost $300 LESS than I have paid DirecTV in equipment acquisition fees. What makes that worse, is that the money I paid DirecTV was a pure expense. The money I paid for the TiVos is an investment since I own and can resell the the equipment. In 2 years, should I want to sell it, I can reasonably expect to recoup at least $1600.

So, simply looking at this as a two year experiment:

Programming savings: $2,223.36 (not including discounts)
Plus discounts: + 1,080.00
Plus resale value of the TiVos: 1,600
Less hardware costs: - 2,269.98

Net savings: $2,633.38

You make a compelling argument.  A few years ago, it looked like I was going to have to cancel DirecTV.  I had a lazy installer claiming LOS issue, when I needed Slimline upgrade from my old Phase III dish.  I ended up hiring an antenna installer to put the dish up (DirecTV gave me a second free HD DVR to compensate me for my cost/effort).

At the time, when I looked into FiOS, the cost savings weren't as significant as they currently are for you.  I don't know if Tivo's were an option for FiOS back then or not.  If they were, I didn't know that.  IIRC, although programming costs were lower, equipment costs were higher and I don't believe that I was allowed to have more than 1 DVR on the account.  It became a moot point once I was able to get the Slimline installed.

I still have over a year left on my current commitment (my HR44 was installed last September) and I do like Sunday Ticket.  But, the scheduling changes over the past few years which have 1) allowed NBC to "commandeer" many of the top games to Sunday night and 2) allowed the league to schedule more Jets & Giants games at times other than the traditional Sunday 1pm/4pm slots, there aren't nearly as many "must see" games that are blacked out in New York as there used to be, Sunday Ticket is no longer as valuable to me as it once was.

I may have to give serious consideration to a FiOS/Tivo setup once my commitment is up. 

#107 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Exactly, that's your choice. But at least you admit Directv is not the only option that should be looked at and you and I both know it's now one of the most expensive tv options but not the most advanced, and that's never been the case.
Tivo ,X1 , and even the Hopper HD dvrs have turned the tables when it comes to functions and reliability.
HR'S well, never been a fan. Bottom line, they are never consistently stable.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Yep, I'm a dual-sub these days as much to see if it in any way makes sense and since both are 1st year installs, the cost is about what I'd be paying with only one.  Actually about a $20 penalty per month.  At the end of the year I'll decide which to keep and pay the ETF of the other.  If I was to make the change to just one today, it would have to be Dish because of the Hopper/SuperJoey setup w/PTAT, even at the loss of some premiums in HD and no NFLST.  If nothing else, the few months I've been dual-subbed has made it starkly clear to me which tech fits me best.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#108 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

I envy those of you with alternatives.  AT&T strung fiber down my street four years ago but politics has prevented them from activating fiber service to provide truly fast U-Verse video.  Comcrap has copper hanging from the same poles but I'm not interested in dealing with them.  My (probably unreasonable) hope is that Google will choose us for their fiber service and actually extend it to my area.

When news breaks...we fix it.

#109 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

I envy those of you with alternatives.  AT&T strung fiber down my street four years ago but politics has prevented them from activating fiber service to provide truly fast U-Verse video.  Comcrap has copper hanging from the same poles but I'm not interested in dealing with them.  My (probably unreasonable) hope is that Google will choose us for their fiber service and actually extend it to my area.

This is definitely an issue. In too many places, you have basically four options. The cable company, Dish or DirecTV, cable cutter. I know some here are trying to get Google, but the local phone company is becoming quite aggressive on fiber, and continue to do so after they complete the sale of their wireless business to Verizon.

#110 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 322 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

I, too, envy those with more/better choices.  My choices are DIRECTV, Dish, or Comcast for tv providers (well, and OTA+Netflix/Amazon/Hulu) and Comcast or Centurylink DSL for internet.  I've been a DTV subscriber for so long, I don't feel moving to Comcast (even with their X1 platform) would be worth it for me with having to relearn new channel #'s and equipment.  Also, everytime I stay somewhere (parent's house, vacation rentals) with Dish, I just absolutely despise their interface.  I suppose I haven't seen a Hopper/Joey setup yet, but either way, I just prefer the devil I know over the devil I don't.  :grin:

Anyway, we go with a mix of DIRECTV for TV and Comcast for cable.  I find that we are paying less with our setup than a lot of others locally that have Comcast for both TV and internet, and with TV on fewer TVs than us (we have 3 TVs, a Genie and 2 HRs all on whole home).  I'm certain if were in a similar situation as Diana, seeing those savings, I'd definitely walk the exact same path. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#111 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

I currently have Comcast for phone and internet and have been very pleased with it. They keep increasing the download speeds for their different tiers so I could save some money by downgrading to a lower tier and still have a very fast service. However each year I've called in ( actually Twittered in ) and gotten them to reduce the charges back to essentially what they were when I first signed up with their double/triple play discounts. Many of my friends have Comcast's HD service and none have complained, at least not about the issues that crop up frequently with DTV. Now with their X1 platform they offer something that could fairly well replace what I get on my genie. The reviews I've run down about the X1 haven't been very good yet so I think that's just something I'll keep an eye on. When the first genies came out their issues kept me from acquiring one till about a year after their release so Comcast's issues are comparable.

It's very difficult actually to compare the different plans from the different providers to know for sure whether you'd be paying more or less, especially after any discount period. That's the way they want it, the more confused you are the less likely you'll change. But at least so far with Comcast they have reduced my bill when I initiate contact with them. Usually DTV offers me an additional premium service at some discount when I ask, that doesn't really help. I, just as most of you, am spending a considerable amount of money each month. Certainly more than I thought I'd ever be paying for TV! And have to suffer the issues that come with each device and software updates, and I do understand that the other providers will also have their own issues but it would be nice for DTV to offer some kind of compensation for long term subscribers ( since 2001 for me ) without fabricating some kind of story.

At this point I'm just keeping an eye on options, FiOS is not available, Dish is, but if I should switch I don't think I'd go with another satellite service. One thing, which may be minor, that really aggravates me about DTV, is the coupons that they send you for pay per view movies. We rent quite a few of these but because we are set up for automatic billing and payment we would have to write down the movies we've rented and then mail in that coupon that always seems to get lost. They know which movies you rent, they know how many, why can't they just automatically apply a discount/rebate for you on the next rental? Why in this age of online access for just about everything do we have to mail in a coupon? Other than they know half the people won't bother or even remember to do so.

#112 OFFLINE   daniloni

daniloni

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

I have both Comcast and DirecTV because adding Comcast TV was basically the same price as having them for only internet and phone.  I have to say that if I wasn't a sports person, Comcast would be a no-brainer over DirecTV.  I find Comcast picture quality to be generally better than DirecTV's.  DirecTV has a big advantage as far as the stock DVR and whole home options, but Comcast's on demand library is so incredible it basically moots the point of having a DVR.  Basically the entire current season of every show is available on demand in HD.  And if you invest in a Roamio and minis, then the DVR and whole home experience is even better than DirecTV.  This is especially true on Comcast where you have access to On Demand on TiVo (at least in my area).  In my area, Comcast is offering 105 down/20 up internet, unlimited home phone, and the premier TV package for $160 per month (plus $8/month modem rental).  That low rate could easily finance the Roamio/mini investment.  Unfortunately as far as this discussion is concerned, I'm a sports person, and Comcast trails far behind DirecTV as far as sports offerings, so getting rid of DirecTV completely in favor of Comcast is a no-go for me.

#113 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

In my area, Comcast is offering 105 down/20 up internet, unlimited home phone, and the premier TV package for $160 per month (plus $8/month modem rental).  That low rate could easily finance the Roamio/mini investment.  Unfortunately as far as this discussion is concerned, I'm a sports person, and Comcast trails far behind DirecTV as far as sports offerings, so getting rid of DirecTV completely in favor of Comcast is a no-go for me.

That's my current internet package with Comcast with local phone service. What you're paying for all that and the tv package is close to what I'm paying DTV for an HR 34 genie, an HR 22 dvr and the whole home service. The sports offerings are not really important to us. I'm not that interested in the Tivos but they're something I would consider as well as the X 1 set up from Comcast if I see that the reviews improve. Either way DTV is slowly losing whatever appeal it had for me.

#114 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,427 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:40 AM

But that is the rub, there WAS a problem when they called in! but the CSR turned that SC into an upgrade.  win-win for both parties, installer of course looses 

Wouldn't an upgrade restart a 2 year commitment? How is that a win for the customer? I only see it as a win for Directv.

JACK,

#115 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

Wouldn't an upgrade restart a 2 year commitment? How is that a win for the customer? I only see it as a win for Directv.

Yep , you get a free Addtional 2 year commitment, or else Directv gets an additional $480 ETF fees and you still don't get to keep the receiver for resale.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#116 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

customer gets a FREE equipment "refresh" and/or upgrade.  Or if the customer wants, the can offer to pay regular lease price instead of free.!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#117 ONLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

That's only free as in no money. Kind of like saying you didn't have to pay a speeding ticket but you spent 10 days in jail... 

• damondlt likes this

#118 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

That's only free as in no money. 

Well isn't that the description of "free"?  you can always volunteer to pay full price if your conscience is telling you to.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#119 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Well isn't that the description of "free"?  you can always volunteer to pay full price if your conscience is telling you to.

That is not offered to everyone first of all and again it a minimum $1320 to Directv.

Because you must keep minimum, $30 permonth service and pay $25 advanced receiver fee for 24 months.

Or pay ETF.

And still have to give back that so called Free receiver.

And Full ownership Price is $450 for a 500GB 2 tuner HD DVR. !rolling

I bought a Brand New hopper with sling ,3 Tuners and 2 TB hardrive for Half that!

a 4 Tuner Roamio is only $170 with a 500GB HD and supports OTA.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#120 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

I find Comcast picture quality to be generally better than DirecTV's.

You are a true HDTVfan! I love when people post stuff like this on DBStalk as many posters generally lose their collective minds over such an idea. I really like the newer Xfinity operating system in all honesty. It's generally much nicer then the current D* offering. I've recently switched to FiOS full time as well. I used to subscribe to both but I didn't see the point any longer either. DirecTV doesn't see the point in giving me local sports so I don't see the point in giving them my money any longer. Perhaps if I lived in the middle of Iowa they would value me more. ;) I'm not country enough for DirecTV.

Edited by fireponcoal, 08 June 2014 - 12:28 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AT&T, FIOS, Verizon, Tivo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...