Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OnDemand super fast on HR44, slow on HR24

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

i moved a month or two ago and had the genie installed as part of the move...i have a genie, two minis, and a HR24 connected, and a few other receivers in spare rooms that aren't installed yet.  the HR44 is wireless and is lightning fast when watching VOD...but, the HR24 seems to stutter and take forever to download anything.  on the genie, i can hit play and watch an entire movie without it ever stopping to buffer...on the HR24, i can't even get through a half hour show without it freezing and hanging.

is there anything i can do to fix this?  would connecting the genie via ethernet help?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,924 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

The wireless through the Genie should be as fast on the 24.  You could have a bad connection or cable.

On the genie frontpanel press right arrow / guide and post the numbers from the two pages of Coax Network.

Also be sure there's no other splitter or diplexers on the coax and all D* green label splitters are terminated - no open ports.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:48 AM

The wireless through the Genie should be as fast on the 24.  You could have a bad connection or cable.

On the genie frontpanel press right arrow / guide and post the numbers from the two pages of Coax Network.

Also be sure there's no other splitter or diplexers on the coax and all D* green label splitters are terminated - no open ports.

there are no other splitters or diplexers on the coax, it's a brand new house with all coax runs going to the closet where the d* splitter is.  the splitter is exactly how the installer left it, i haven't changed anything in the closet...the only things i changed was to put my keystone jacks back on where the installer just had the cable w/ new barrel connectors running through the hole in the wall.  no way in hell was i leaving it like that...

coax network info:

node 0 phy level -12

node 1 phy level -13

node 2 phy level n/a

node 3 phy level -14

node 3 is the HR24, based on the mac address.

phy rate mesh:

nds 0 1 2 3

0  241 275 285 249
1 275 240 285 245

2 275 285 240 244

3 244 241 249 241

also of note, MRV works just fine.  no stuttering or anything like that when watching recordings from the genie on the HR24 or vice versa...the only problem seems to be with on demand.

Edited by matty8199, 04 June 2014 - 01:51 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,924 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Can you change locations or hook up the 24 directly to Ethernet (reboot it) to see if the problem changes?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

You may have found what I did over a year ago.

The 44 wasn't being a "good server" to the other DVRs on the coax network.

I just went back to using a WCCK for the whole network.

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

i do have an ethernet jack behind the 24 (two coax and two ethernet to every room in the house), so i'll try hooking it up via ethernet and see what happens.  i'll report back here...

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

i do have an ethernet jack behind the 24 (two coax and two ethernet to every room in the house), so i'll try hooking it up via ethernet and see what happens.  i'll report back here...

The 24 will disable its DECA with an ethernet connection, so that may not be your best choice.

A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

If there's a CAT 5 behind the Genie as well, I'd connect that to disable the wireless. No matter how good the wireless performance is, wired will be no worse and likely better. With that set-up, I'd also connect the HR24 Cat 5 and just leave the Genie clients connected MoCa. Just me, tho.

/steve

#9 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

alright, interesting update...i went to the 24 this morning and tried to play an episode of silicon valley, which is what kept hanging on me yesterday (although i tried a different episode this morning).  wanted to make sure it wasn't a momentary internet glitch yesterday...well, it hung up on the episode, about 3 minutes in.  so, i hooked it up via ethernet and rebooted...tried to re-play the same episode.  it froze at exactly the same point...i pressed play to see how much it had downloaded, and there was a good bit of the buffer left - so it doesn't seem to be an internet issue at this point.

also of note: when it hung at the same point, i had deleted and was re-downloading the episode...

Edited by matty8199, 04 June 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

another note, not sure if it matters - the power inserter is behind the HR24.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

I've seem "glitches" too in OnDemand lately.

It's happened to more than one show off different channels.

Sometimes I've skipped past it and then skipped back to it and it played fine.

It hasn't been every OnDemand, but has been enough to "almost be normal".

I chalk this to something on the DirecTV end, like a Rake recording that was Guitar Session instead. 

A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

in that case, perhaps there have just been momentary glitches going on at exactly the moment when i've been trying to watch on the HR24 that haven't been present on the HR44 - this afternoon, i tried to watch something on the genie and it told me there were network issues and the system test indicates regular wireless disconnects.  however, that doesn't make any sense since the wifi signal is > 80% according to both the router and the computer i'm on right next to the genie.

regardless, i'm going to hook the genie up via ethernet and put the HR24 back on coax and see what happens for a while...i'll keep everyone updated here with any interesting developments.  i need to get myself a switch first, so it might take a few days for one from amazon to get here.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

i'm going to hook the genie up via ethernet and put the HR24 back on coax and see what happens for a while.

That "should be" bullet proof.

A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

mixed results so far...i watched an episode of silicon valley earlier that seemed to play just fine, fiancee is watching an episode of true blood right now that she said skipped a few times on her.

any other ideas?  i have it set up now with the genie hard-wired to the router via ethernet and the HR24 on the coax network...

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Is the recording on the Genie?

If so does the Genie have the same problems as the 24?

Or is it on the 24 and does the Genie also have the problem.

If both have it, this suggests it's on DirecTV's end.

If only one has it and the other doesn't, then it's on "your end".

A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Is the recording on the Genie?

If so does the Genie have the same problems as the 24?

Or is it on the 24 and does the Genie also have the problem.

If both have it, this suggests it's on DirecTV's end.

If only one has it and the other doesn't, then it's on "your end".

i have yet to have any issues on the genie or any of the minis...it's all on the HR24 only.  when i do ondemand on the genie or minis they play flawlessly...on the HR24, a lot of the time they skip and/or freeze and/or buffer.

#17 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

alright, fiancee has been watching true blood on the HR24 all afternoon and has said it has been skipping and buffering periodically all day.  so, clearly connecting via ethernet hasn't worked...

what's next to try to fix this?

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

i have yet to have any issues on the genie or any of the minis...it's all on the HR24 only.  when i do ondemand on the genie or minis they play flawlessly...on the HR24, a lot of the time they skip and/or freeze and/or buffer.

alright, fiancee has been watching true blood on the HR24 all afternoon and has said it has been skipping and buffering periodically all day.  so, clearly connecting via ethernet hasn't worked...

what's next to try to fix this?

Just to understand what's what here:

The OnDemand is stored on the Genie, and plays fine there and on clients, but the 24 doesn't play well from the Genie?

This would suggest the 24 is the problem.

What happens if the OnDemand is stored on the 24 [or is this the way she was doing it all along]?

A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Just to understand what's what here:

The OnDemand is stored on the Genie, and plays fine there and on clients, but the 24 doesn't play well from the Genie?

This would suggest the 24 is the problem.

What happens if the OnDemand is stored on the 24 [or is this the way she was doing it all along]?

that's where the problem is.  let me try to clarify...

if i'm sitting at the genie or any of the minis, and i play on demand, it runs without hiccup.  i've even watched 2 hour movies like this...without even waiting for it to buffer.  just scroll to it, and press play - i get the "preparing for playback" green bar, and then the program starts.  plays all the way through with no hiccups.

if i'm sitting at the HR24 and do the same thing, i get occasional hiccups / freezes / buffering pauses, almost all the time.  once in a while it will play without incident, but almost all the time it will do some form of breaking up...

whole home viewing of stuff stored either on the genie or HR24 have had no issues, regardless of where i'm playing them from.  the problem seems to only be with on demand.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

AHHH this is all "Watch Now" OnDemand.

It does seem to be the 24, "but" a watch now gets recorded, so what might help is does the recording when played later have the same problems in the same places?

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...